Computer Engineering vs Computer Science

In summary: Microeconomics4th Year:Elective coursesPractical WorkEducational Leadership IssuesIntroduction to Bio-ElectromagnetismIn summary, the conversation is about a student from the Balkans who is trying to decide between studying Computer Engineering (CE) or Computer Science (CS). The student is good at Mathematics, Physics, and Informatics and is looking for a well-paying job. Some students recommend CS for its focus on programming, while others recommend CE because of its combination of Computer Science and Electrical Engineering. The courses for both programs are listed, with the student expressing concerns about the lack of programming focus in CS and the lack of good professors in programming and IT in CE. Ultimately, the conversation concludes with the advice
student.x
Hello !

i am a student from balkan(south-east europe) i have finished high school and now a i can't decide what to study Computer Engineering or Computer Science.
I am good in Mathematics,Physics and Informatics.
I need a well paying job, but don't know if i can earn more money with CE or CS.
i asked also some students, the students from CS sad that with CS you will learn more about programming but the students from CE sad that you will be better in programming if i go to CE because the professors are better than in CS.

CS at the university i will study is in the department of Mathematics so it has a lot of math and the professors are the same as in faculty of mathematics and they require to the students to know math (nearly,quasi)like in faculty of mathematics. And another problem is that there aren't enough good professors for programing and IT for example the professor of Analysis (PhD in mathematics) teaches also database !

CE is in the electrical and computer engineering has big number (at least compeered with CS) of courses and from different types so i think if we learn all that, we can't be so good (for example) in programming. And the first, second and the third semester of 6 semesters(3 years of bachelor studies)(for the third i am not 100% sure) are the same like in other faculties of this departments like Automatic,Telecommunication, Electronic, Industrial Electronic, electrical systems.

I need your Help

Physics news on Phys.org
i have translated the courses using google translator, there are some letters in Capital and maybe they aren't translated very well . SORRY ! :shy:eek::)
The courses in CE are:
Mathematics 1
Physics 1
C Programming
Fundamentals of Electrical Engineering 1
TECHNICAL Documentation
INTERNATIONAL ECONOMY
MANAGEMENT
Mathematics 2
Physics 2
Fundamentals of Electrical Engineering 2
Algorithms and structure of data
Internet
Mathematics 3
ELECTRONIC 1
Basis of ELECTRICAL measurement
Electro MATERIALS
TECHNICAL English
FINANCIAL management
Energy Conversion

ELECTRONIC DIGITAL
Signals and Systems
Discrete Mathematics
PROBABILITY AND STATISTICS
ARCHITECTURE AND ORGANIZATION The computer
DIGITAL PROCESSING signals
microprocessors and microcomputer
Operating Systems
Database
Fundamentals of Telecommunications 2nd
ELECTRONIC measuring equipment
archiving of data
INTERNET programming
Programing orientated in objects
INTRODUCTION TO artificial intelligence
SYSTEMS OS. Distributed
Digital television
Fundamentals of Multimedia
archiving of data
DIGITAL PROCESSING signals
SECURITY OF DATA
Management PROJECT INFORMATION 1
Programing Languge
English Language
Communication skills

DIGITAL Districts
Electrical Basics
ELECTRONIC
Mathematics 3 (for CE)
Computer Architecture
Telecommunications
Management of PROJECTS
Theory of INFORMATION
Programming in Internet
MACROECONOMICS
Microeconomics
Distributed programming
Computer Networking
Software Engineer
Microprocessors and micro-controllers
Fundamentals of artificial intelligence
COMMUNICATION people-computer
DESIGN AND STRUCTURE of Algorithm
Elective course 4
Computer graphics
Fused systems
-English Langauge Communication skills
Non-technical COURSES
Distributed systems
Distributed Operating Systems
Practice Computer Networking
WEB SERVICES
(practical work)
Educational Leadership Issues
INTRODUCTION TO Bio-Electromagnetism

The Courses in CS are :
Year I
Mathematical Analysis
Mathematical Analysis II
Discrete Mathematics
Linear algebra with analytic geometry
Programming and algorithms
Computer Networking and WWW
Introduction to computer science
Data Structures

Year II
Mathematical Analysis III
Numerical Analysis I
Numerical Analysis II
Probability theory
Computer architecture and operating systems
Databases
OOP(object oriendted programing) and GUI programming

Year III
Statistics
Mathematical Programming
Computer Networking and Programming at WWW (first level of CISCO )
Analysis of algorithms
distributed Programming
Image processing
Software Engineering
Practical Work

Elective course
Year I
Working with computer basics
Applied mathematics programs
English I
English II
Order the text in TeX
Year II
Formal language theory
Building compiler
Mathematical Analysis IV
Safety data in computer
Year III
Accounting
Business and Internet
Data Analysis
Problem Solving in Mathematics

This Question by Student.X is very genuine and I am also looking for this info.

Hi

I am a Computer Engineer myself. And my advise would be don't choose the field thinking about how much you can earn. You can always make it big if you choose the field in which you have lot of interest and skills. Take a look at the subjects, see which subjects appeal to you more and then decide.

Shilpa
http://www.exitsplashscript.com"

Last edited by a moderator:
It really depends on you .

Like the name suggests in CE you will be more of an engineer ,you will learn to think and work in a particular way.

CE is actually a combination of Computer Science and Electrical Engineering and you will study computers from the lowest to the highest level.

One thing I don't like in CS is that in many universities (especially in balkan ,where i also live) education can be very computer oriented.

If you just want a high paying job then go with the path that exposes you to as much programming as possible. You already know some informatics and you probably also know that there is a huge difference between being good at programming and majoring in CS. Knowing how to program very well is a marketable skill. It's unlikely that CS majors can't program at a high level, but the more theoretical issues are probably irrelevant to the set of skills that make exceptional programmers marketable.

The CE courses above are with the old school program. Now it has changed. The courses now are the following:
1 year:
Mathematics 1&2
Physics 1&2
Electrical Materials
Programming in C + +
Algorithms and structure of data
DIGITAL Districts
Electrical Basics
2-Year :
Signals and systems
Electronics
Database
Object-oriented Programming
Internet
Mathematics 3 for CE
Computer Networking
DATA SECURITY
Project Management
COMMUNICATION people -computer
ARCHITECTURE AND ORGANISATION Computers
3rd Year:
Microprocesors and Microcontrollers
Practice Computer Networking
DESIGN AND ANALYSIS of algorithms
Software Engineer
Operating Systems
Programming IN INTERNET
Macroeconomics

1. What is the difference between computer engineering and computer science?

Computer engineering focuses on the design and development of computer hardware and systems, while computer science focuses on the theoretical and practical aspects of computing and software development.

2. What are the main skills needed for a career in computer engineering or computer science?

Both fields require strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as a solid understanding of mathematics and programming languages. Additionally, computer engineering may require knowledge of hardware design and electrical engineering, while computer science may require more emphasis on algorithms and data structures.

3. Which field has better job prospects?

Both computer engineering and computer science are in high demand and have excellent job prospects. However, the job market for computer engineering tends to be more focused on hardware and systems development, while computer science offers a wider range of career options in areas such as software development, data analysis, and artificial intelligence.

4. Can someone with a degree in computer engineering work in computer science, and vice versa?

Yes, there is some overlap between the two fields, and many professionals have a degree in one field but work in the other. However, it may require additional training or experience to transition between the two fields.

5. What are some common job titles for computer engineers and computer scientists?

Some common job titles for computer engineers include hardware engineer, systems engineer, and embedded systems engineer. For computer scientists, common job titles include software engineer, data scientist, and computer programmer.