Interpreting the Derivative of N = I/R - D

In summary, the conversation involves a discussion about a derivative equation and its interpretation. The equation, N = I / R - D, is differentiated with respect to R and the resulting equation is dN/dR = I / R^2. The conversation also touches on the behavior of the derivative and how it varies with different values of I and R, as well as the incorrect interpretation of the original equation. Finally, there is a correction made to the derivative equation.
musicgold
Hi

I am not sure if my interpretation of the following derivative is correct.

N = I / R - D

Where , N, I and D are integers, while R is a fraction (1% to 15%).

If I differentiate the above equation with respect to R, I get the following equation.

dN/dR = I / R^2

The following is my interpretation of this derivative.

1. The lower the value of R, the higher the value of dN/dR, at a given I

2. At a given R, the higher the value of I , the higher the value of dN/dR

3. If I plot dN/dR against R, at various values of I, I will get exponentially declining curves, with curves with higher I values lying on the left of curves with lower I values.

Thank you,

MG.

Physics news on Phys.org
You should have dN/dR = -I/R2. Also, when you differentiate a variable, you are assuming tacitly that it can take on all real values in some interval. You can evaluate the derivative at integer values.
musicgold said:
The following is my interpretation of this derivative.

1. The lower the value of R, the higher the value of dN/dR, at a given I

2. At a given R, the higher the value of I , the higher the value of dN/dR

3. If I plot dN/dR against R, at various values of I, I will get exponentially declining curves, with curves with higher I values lying on the left of curves with lower I values.
1. The smaller R is the more negative dN/dR will be (assuming that I > 0).
2. For a given R, the larger I is, the more negative dN/dR will be (again assuming that I > 0).
3. Take into account that you had the wrong sign for your derivative.

musicgold said:
If I plot dN/dR against R, at various values of I, I will get exponentially declining curves, with curves with higher I values lying on the left of curves with lower I values.

The highlighted part is incorrect. Exponential curves are of the form [itex]b^{\pm a x}[/itex], where x is the variable and so would be your R. The plus sign corresponds to exponential growth as x gets large and the minus corresponds to exponential decay as x gets large.

The behaviour of the derivative you give is that it varies inversely as a quadratic. (Inversely means 1/x and quadratic means x^2).

thanks folks.

I believe your derivative should be ...

dN/dR = - I / [ R - D ]^(- 2)

That just causes a shift of the graph D units to the right.

paulfr said:
I believe your derivative should be ...

dN/dR = - I / [ R - D ]^(- 2)

That just causes a shift of the graph D units to the right.
You are interpreting the original equation, N = I/R - D as if it had been written N = I/(R - D). I am working with the equation exactly as it was written, which is the same is if it had been written N = (I/R) - D.

1. What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical tool used to measure how a function changes as its input changes. It represents the rate of change or slope of a function at a specific point.

2. What is the purpose of analyzing a derivative?

The purpose of analyzing a derivative is to gain a better understanding of the behavior of a function. It can help us determine the maximum and minimum values of a function, identify where a function is increasing or decreasing, and find the points where a function is the most steep or flat.

3. How is a derivative calculated?

A derivative is calculated using the limit definition of a derivative, which involves taking the limit of the difference quotient as the change in the input approaches zero. Alternatively, it can also be calculated using differentiation rules and formulas.

4. What is the relationship between a function and its derivative?

The derivative of a function represents the rate of change of that function. In other words, it shows how much the output of the function is changing with respect to the input. The derivative and the original function are closely related, as the derivative is the slope of the tangent line to the graph of the function at a specific point.

5. How is a derivative used in real life?

Derivatives have many real-life applications, such as in physics, economics, and engineering. For example, in physics, derivatives are used to calculate velocity and acceleration, and in economics, they are used to determine the marginal cost and revenue of a product. In engineering, derivatives are used to design and optimize systems and processes.