Real Integral Solutions: Exact vs Approximations

• Thread starter darkside00
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of solving real integrals with an actual solution and the use of approximations or series/sequences. It is mentioned that Taylor series are not approximations and can be truncated for an approximation, but the series itself represents an analytic function. The question of whether functions can be defined without using series expansion is also raised. The consensus is that currently, some functions cannot be defined without a series expansion.
darkside00
Is is possible to solve every real integral and come up with an actual solution? perhaps we may have not just found the methods of doing so. Or is it a must to use approximations(series/sequences) to do so?
Or is there a way to reverse numerical numbers to come up with a function?

Physics news on Phys.org
It really depends on what you mean by "actual solution".

Taylor series aren't approximations, by the way. You can truncate the series after a finite number of terms to produce an approximation, but the Taylor series itself is an exact representation of an analytic function -- at least within its radius of convergence.

right. I guess all series can be expressed as functions with n to infinite within its convergence.

So, perhaps the real question is could we establish functions as a non series, or do we need them?

Last edited:
I think you need to formulate a precise question. What do you mean by "establish functions as a non series"?

I think what he means is to define a function analytically without using a series expansion, and I believe the answer you are looking for is that, short of defining a function as the integral of another function(for example, the logarithmic integral function), we currently cannot define some functions short of a series expansion.

1. What are real integral solutions?

Real integral solutions are integer values that satisfy a given equation or inequality. They can be positive or negative, and must be whole numbers without any decimal or fractional parts.

2. What is the difference between exact and approximate solutions?

Exact solutions are real integral solutions that satisfy an equation or inequality exactly, with no rounding or estimation involved. Approximate solutions, on the other hand, involve rounding or estimation and may not be exact.

3. When should I use exact solutions versus approximate solutions?

Exact solutions are preferable when dealing with precise calculations and when the exact value is necessary. Approximate solutions can be used when a close enough estimate is sufficient.

4. How can I determine if a solution is exact or approximate?

If the solution is presented as a whole number without any decimal or fractional parts, it is an exact solution. If the solution involves rounding or estimation, it is an approximate solution.

5. Are there any advantages to using exact solutions over approximate solutions?

Yes, exact solutions are more precise and can provide a more accurate representation of the problem. They also allow for more precise calculations and can help avoid errors that may occur with rounding or estimation.