Falling in love with chemistry but also love electrcity. Should ill be a EE and ChE?

In summary, based on the conversation, the suggested fields of Electrical Engineering and Chemical Engineering may not align with the individual's interests in physics, chemistry, and solar panels. It is suggested that the individual consider pursuing a degree in Physics, Chemistry, or Materials Science, with a focus on microelectronics and semiconductor device engineering. Safety protocols should always be followed in any experimental science field.
AlexES16
I love to know how electricity is usefuel for us, electric cars, lighting and refrigeration, i love physics but i also like to know what the universe is made of, how is that a bunch of cells and we think! dam! i love chemistry. I also like solar panels and would like to really know how they work. Based on this should ill go Electrical Engineering or Chemical Engineering or both?!

Physics news on Phys.org

Based on your interests, neither Electrical or Chemical engineering would suit you very well.

EE and ChE have very little to do with the applications and sciences you described. Cars and refrigeration would fall under the domain of Mechanical Engineering. Chemical engineering deals mainly with industrial processes; it is not very similar to what is covered in standard university Chemistry classes.

The standard topics that EE deals with are:
Electrical Power distribution
Electromagnetic Signals & Communication
Control Engineering
VLSI & Embedded Computing

I am not sure what ChE deals with specifically, but I know that it is mainly focused on industrial processes; getting optimum yield out of a reaction, efficiency, etc. It is very much macroscopic. Chemical engineers don't deal with atoms and molecules like chemists do; they may deal with bonding but only just.

My suggestion is to go for Physics or Chemistry, based on your stated interests.

You actually sound like a good candidate for microelectronics and semiconductor device engineering. These fields are properly sub-disciplines of electrical engineering, however, they also make substantial use of materials science and are thus rightly also a sub-discipline of materials science.

Not to confuse you, but materials science is also another field that you might be interested in. Whereas chemical engineering (in very general terms and not always the rule) deals with large-scale chemical processes, materials science deals with fundamental properties of materials.

The reason I'm telling you about microelectronics and semiconductor devices is that they are ultimately electrical devices but fabricating them deals with almost all topics of applied materials processing (e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microfabrication), which in turn has its origins in applied chemistry. Note that conventional (i.e. inorganic) LEDs and solar cells are semiconductor devices and that their fabrication technologies have largely benefited from the breakthroughs that occur in the behemoth microelectronics industry. Also, I do know some chemical engineers that specialize in semiconductor processing, so that is not entirely out of the question.

Are you currently in college or are you in the process of looking? If it is the latter, then my suggestion would be to look at the concentrations/specializations that the EE, ChemE, and MatSci departments offer. It will give you an idea of what is better suited for yourself.

cmos said:
You actually sound like a good candidate for microelectronics and semiconductor device engineering. These fields are properly sub-disciplines of electrical engineering, however, they also make substantial use of materials science and are thus rightly also a sub-discipline of materials science.

Not to confuse you, but materials science is also another field that you might be interested in. Whereas chemical engineering (in very general terms and not always the rule) deals with large-scale chemical processes, materials science deals with fundamental properties of materials.

The reason I'm telling you about microelectronics and semiconductor devices is that they are ultimately electrical devices but fabricating them deals with almost all topics of applied materials processing (e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microfabrication), which in turn has its origins in applied chemistry. Note that conventional (i.e. inorganic) LEDs and solar cells are semiconductor devices and that their fabrication technologies have largely benefited from the breakthroughs that occur in the behemoth microelectronics industry. Also, I do know some chemical engineers that specialize in semiconductor processing, so that is not entirely out of the question.

Are you currently in college or are you in the process of looking? If it is the latter, then my suggestion would be to look at the concentrations/specializations that the EE, ChemE, and MatSci departments offer. It will give you an idea of what is better suited for yourself.

My country doesn't have MatSci xD. Let's put this way i don't want to work with any carcinogen or toxic in EE. Would you spend a lot of time touching toxic substances as EE?

Im kinda paranoid when it comes to toxic substances, that's why i don't want to be touching one of those.

Well as an EE you're liable to electrocute yourself. As any engineer, you're liable to develop carpel tunnel syndrome from being on the computer too much; maybe even back problems from not sitting at the desk properly. I actually had to buy a special pen because my hand was camping from working on problem sets so much.

All kidding aside, there are dangers from working in all areas of experimental science. That is why it is important to always adhere to safety protocols and to take them seriously.

If playing with chemicals bothers you, then chemical engineering is definitely not something you want to go into. I'm sure you can get away with not touching a single chemical once to get to industry, but you'll definitely be playing with chemicals in your laboratory courses.

If you really want to be safe, you could always become a mathematician! :tongue2:
Although, you might go crazy after a while...

cmos said:
Well as an EE you're liable to electrocute yourself. As any engineer, you're liable to develop carpel tunnel syndrome from being on the computer too much; maybe even back problems from not sitting at the desk properly. I actually had to buy a special pen because my hand was camping from working on problem sets so much.

All kidding aside, there are dangers from working in all areas of experimental science. That is why it is important to always adhere to safety protocols and to take them seriously.

If playing with chemicals bothers you, then chemical engineering is definitely not something you want to go into. I'm sure you can get away with not touching a single chemical once to get to industry, but you'll definitely be playing with chemicals in your laboratory courses.

If you really want to be safe, you could always become a mathematician! :tongue2:
Although, you might go crazy after a while...

Wow but i like to know what things are made off.

If you want to go to the electrical veichule industry EE or Chemistry

Double major in Electrical Engineering and Chemical Engineering?

What career is more realted with the nergy we use for our moder society

What career is more like energy engineering?

Some answers please

What career is more related to the devolping of solar cells?

Chemistry or Electrical Engineering?

AlexES16 said:
Double major in Electrical Engineering and Chemical Engineering?

What career is more realted with the nergy we use for our moder society

What career is more like energy engineering?

Some answers please

Both really. I am in a ChE program, its all about energy.

As for solar cells and electric vehicles the answer is also both. Improving these technologies is a chemical problem just as much as it is an electrical problem.

At my school, the ChE's are required to take an EE course and there's a micro electronics option. Perhaps that would be something you'd be interested in pursuing?

You really really can't lose with either choice. One of the main reasons I chose ChE is because it really is an all encompassing major. You can get into absolutely any field with it.

NanjoeBot said:
Both really. I am in a ChE program, its all about energy.

As for solar cells and electric vehicles the answer is also both. Improving these technologies is a chemical problem just as much as it is an electrical problem.

At my school, the ChE's are required to take an EE course and there's a micro electronics option. Perhaps that would be something you'd be interested in pursuing?

You really really can't lose with either choice. One of the main reasons I chose ChE is because it really is an all encompassing major. You can get into absolutely any field with it.

Thanks for the answer dude =). Ill go for Chemistry.

Physical chemistry?
I was reading about this part of chemistry. And i see that the university ill study have this branch, is very related to electrochemistry and maybe this is the part i which you can a see lot of solar cell tehcnology.

Or the research in this kind of technology is in electrical engineering?

I was seeing that the MIT teaches a lot of programing and computer science which I am not interested, i don't like elctronics to.

And in the chemical engineering part is the development of solar funnel and other interesting stuff.

http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2010/solar-antenna-0913.html
I hate my Indecision!

Last edited by a moderator:

1=Wich career has more to do with nanotechnology and nanomachines?

Electrical Engineering , Chemistry, Mechanical Engineering

2=Wich career has more to do with Future cancer treatments?

Electrical Engineering or Chemistry?

3=Wich career has to more with power generation?

Electrical Engineering , Chemistry or Mechanical Engineering?

4=What career has to do more with future technologies

Electrica/Mechanical Engineering or Chemistry?

Ok well personally I would say:

Electrical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering

Chemistry?

Electrical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering?

This is a tough one but generally I would say Electrica/Mechanical Engineering. But I think if you choose chemistry and this was your interest you could use it in that way.

The fact is that you have a good heart and the strong and noble desire to help and improve the world! No matter which field you choose because this is the purpose you have set up for yourself you will be able to do it! Any of these fields could be applied to the things you listed and because you have such a heart whichever you choose you will use in a way to improve the world! Ultimately I would say just pick whichever you like more, if there is one. If not then I don't know what you should do! Maybe flip a coin or roll a die!

proof said:
Ok well personally I would say:

Electrical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering

Chemistry?

Electrical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering?

This is a tough one but generally I would say Electrica/Mechanical Engineering. But I think if you choose chemistry and this was your interest you could use it in that way.

The fact is that you have a good heart and the strong and noble desire to help and improve the world! No matter which field you choose because this is the purpose you have set up for yourself you will be able to do it! Any of these fields could be applied to the things you listed and because you have such a heart whichever you choose you will use in a way to improve the world! Ultimately I would say just pick whichever you like more, if there is one. If not then I don't know what you should do! Maybe flip a coin or roll a die!

Hahaha for the last part. Thanks a lot for the answer i really apreciate it.
But Chemistry has aplications in the fuels for generating power or devolping new materials for solar cells.

AlexES16 said:
Hahaha for the last part. Thanks a lot for the answer i really apreciate it.
But Chemistry has aplications in the fuels for generating power or devolping new materials for solar cells.

Oh I didn't even think about that! All my selections were just my personal opinion and to be honest i really don't know too much about the fields. But now that i think about it maybe Chemistry is the best choice. Chemisty is such a basic science. If you think about it everything is chemistry! You could probably apply it to almost anything you wanted. And along this line of thought chemistry might be better just because of it's greater possibility of having broader applications. I think it would be probably somewhat easier to be able to do something more closely related to a typically EE application with chemistry than the other way around! I would go with chemistry if i were because you like it and it seems to leave more doors open! Good luck amigo!

proof said:
Oh I didn't even think about that! All my selections were just my personal opinion and to be honest i really don't know too much about the fields. But now that i think about it maybe Chemistry is the best choice. Chemisty is such a basic science. If you think about it everything is chemistry! You could probably apply it to almost anything you wanted. And along this line of thought chemistry might be better just because of it's greater possibility of having broader applications. I think it would be probably somewhat easier to be able to do something more closely related to a typically EE application with chemistry than the other way around! I would go with chemistry if i were because you like it and it seems to leave more doors open! Good luck amigo!

Thanks a lot men. Your answer is very apreciate it. Ill go for chemistry especially physical chemistry, so i can work with batteries to. Buena suerte friend =).

AlexES16 said:

Electrical Engineering , Chemistry, Mechanical Engineering

Electrical Engineering or Chemistry?

Electrical Engineering , Chemistry or Mechanical Engineering?

Electrica/Mechanical Engineering or Chemistry?

Its about even for all of them. You can get into any of those fields with each of those choices.

Im in the same shoes as you, and the conclusion I've come to is; don't concentrate so much on what you can do with each major. There are hundreds of awesome choices and fields to go into within each discipline and its too overwhelming to choose one.

Instead, narrow it down to two choices. Which class did you enjoy more? Your intro to electricity and magnetism, or your chemistry classes? Focus on the concepts and coursework rather then what you can do with it.

NanjoeBot said:
Its about even for all of them. You can get into any of those fields with each of those choices.

Im in the same shoes as you, and the conclusion I've come to is; don't concentrate so much on what you can do with each major. There are hundreds of awesome choices and fields to go into within each discipline and its too overwhelming to choose one.

Instead, narrow it down to two choices. Which class did you enjoy more? Your intro to electricity and magnetism, or your chemistry classes? Focus on the concepts and coursework rather then what you can do with it.

The thing is i enjoyed both xD. But i find chemistry books more interesting and fun.
But also like physics and aplied mathematics.

So maybe Physical Chemistry suits me good.

In general what degree is more related to future development of future solar cells?

a Chemistry Degree or a Physics Degree?

Any one information of the researh in sollar cells?
Electrical engineering field or chemistry?

A physics degree will help to go for a research in solar cells?

Geeze man you have so many questions. Have you spoken to your advisor? You seem to have a general interest in many different fields. How far are you into your major?(whatever it is if you are even in college yet)

nlsherrill said:
Geeze man you have so many questions. Have you spoken to your advisor? You seem to have a general interest in many different fields. How far are you into your major?(whatever it is if you are even in college yet)

Hello man. Well I've been lately a very undecided person, especially this year. I am waiting to see the results of the exam to enter universitie, the national unversity is the only university in my country that has a career in physics so i really hope to enter. I post a lot of questions here becouse i really don't know somebody who knows about this, here in my country there is no to much science. I like physics a lot but i was thinking in chemistry becouse of the aplications, but physics also have countless aplications. Now I am decided to go for physics. The only thing that i am afraid is that where I am gona work?. The field i like of physics is solid state/condensed matter and microelectronics. Well thanks for your questions man, i really like this forum, and its the only place in which i can talk about this.

PS: Sorry for my english.

AlexES16 said:
I was seeing that the MIT teaches a lot of programing and computer science which I am not interested, i don't like elctronics to.

MIT's loss I'm sure.

Last edited:

General_Sax said:
MIT's loss I'm sure.

What do you mean?

How much physics and math you really get to see in Electrical Engineering? How deeply? Do you get to understand the formulas, its meaning and from where they come from?

In a researh position on nanotechnology or semiconductors who will they choose
a Physicist or a Electrical Engineer?

Do you get to see quantum mechanics and condensed matter physics in electrical engineering?

I think they are crucial for further developoing of more efficiente photovoltaics or maybe you can see those in a Phd of electrical engineering?

My advice would be to wait until you've taken some courses in science/engineering before making your decision. Trying to make a decision at this point is not going to be very efficient should you later decide that you don't like whatever you've chosen. Calm down; you have plenty of time. :wink:

Dembadon said:
My advice would be to wait until you've taken some courses in science/engineering before making your decision. Trying to make a decision at this point is not going to be very efficient should you later decide that you don't like whatever you've chosen. Calm down; you have plenty of time. :wink:

Thanks dude for the answer, I am really going crazy with this, 1 year of thinking and like 1000 questions (sorry physics forums) and i came to this options
EE or Physics

My country El Salvador has only one university that has Physics and only like 10 persons enter physics each year. My plan is to be top student and get a Ms or Phd in other country with a scholarship Physics or EE.

I came to this final questions.

a)How deep an electrical engineer understands physics for applications ?Or he only memorize physics and see it superficialy?
b) Can you learn Quantum Mechanics and its aplications as EE?
c)Can a Physicist focus on applications?

By the way sorry for making so much annoying questions, you most think i am crazy paranoid undecided dude but I am not(WOOT! crazy people always deny they're crazy).
I got like 8 point infraction for making repeated questions but looks like this in the only place i can ask about this, i even asked a friend that is studying physics and he says that he doesent know.

If somebody can giving some light in this questions, ill will really apreciate it. They are my last ones about deciding EE or Physics.

a)How deep an electrical engineer understands physics for applications ?Or he only memorize physics and see it superficialy?

AlexES16 said:
By the way sorry for making so much annoying questions, you most think i am crazy paranoid undecided dude but I am not(WOOT! crazy people always deny they're crazy).
I got like 8 point infraction for making repeated questions but looks like this in the only place i can ask about this, i even asked a friend that is studying physics and he says that he doesent know.

If somebody can giving some light in this questions, ill will really apreciate it. They are my last ones about deciding EE or Physics.

I only know the answer to c and it's a big YES! hopefully more qualified people will respond in detail and also to your other inquiries!

proof said:
I only know the answer to c and it's a big YES! hopefully more qualified people will respond in detail and also to your other inquiries!

Hey sup man. Yeah I am not really interested in theoretical physics, i am more interested in things like condensed matter physics and mainly the aplication of physics to technology development, i was seeing the subjects in physics and EE in my country and EE has no quantum mechanics, compared to other countries universities like Mcgill university of Canada in which EE have quantum mechanics. So i feel physics is better imparted than EE in my country. Actually there is only 3 decent universities here, and only 1 have Physics.

What about you dude? are you a physics student?

Oh and yeah i hope some other people answer to.

By the way i really apreciate your answers bro.

AlexES16 said:
Hey sup man. Yeah I am not really interested in theoretical physics, i am more interested in things like condensed matter physics and mainly the aplication of physics to technology development, i was seeing the subjects in physics and EE in my country and EE has no quantum mechanics, compared to other countries universities like Mcgill university of Canada in which EE have quantum mechanics. So i feel physics is better imparted than EE in my country. Actually there is only 3 decent universities here, and only 1 have Physics.

What about you dude? are you a physics student?

Oh and yeah i hope some other people answer to.

By the way i really apreciate your answers bro.

well at the undergraduate level the degree you get is going to be very general. I know you could do your undergraduate in E.S. in physics and then if you came here for your PHD you would have the choice to get your PHD in theoretical or applied. There isn't that much specialization at the undergraduate level. Also although EE in El Salvador doesn't have quantum mechanics it might be possible that you could still take quantum mechanics classes anyways, either as electives or to fulfill other requirements. So although it may not be a requirement for the EE degree you may still be able to take the classes. And when you are applying to grad school or jobs they don't just look at the name of your degree they look at the specific classes you took. Also I guess maybe the situation is that the school with physics doesn't have EE and the school with EE doesn't have physics(or QM). Well then physics may be the better choice because it does have quantum mechanics and it leaves more options open to you later on. When you came to the United States for your phd you could go for applied physics and I have also seen threads on these forums about people who did undergrad in physics and then they go to grad school for engineering(like EE). So you could do that also.

No problem. I am working on my undergraduate degree but my major is actually in the humanities(philosophy). I just like reading these forums for some reason haha
So that's why I hope some more qualified people will respond but I have picked up on some things reading these forums

proof said:
well at the undergraduate level the degree you get is going to be very general. I know you could do your undergraduate in E.S. in physics and then if you came here for your PHD you would have the choice to get your PHD in theoretical or applied. There isn't that much specialization at the undergraduate level. Also although EE in El Salvador doesn't have quantum mechanics it might be possible that you could still take quantum mechanics classes anyways, either as electives or to fulfill other requirements. So although it may not be a requirement for the EE degree you may still be able to take the classes. And when you are applying to grad school or jobs they don't just look at the name of your degree they look at the specific classes you took. Also I guess maybe the situation is that the school with physics doesn't have EE and the school with EE doesn't have physics(or QM). Well then physics may be the better choice because it does have quantum mechanics and it leaves more options open to you later on. When you came to the United States for your phd you could go for applied physics and I have also seen threads on these forums about people who did undergrad in physics and then they go to grad school for engineering(like EE). So you could do that also.

No problem. I am working on my undergraduate degree but my major is actually in the humanities(philosophy). I just like reading these forums for some reason haha
So that's why I hope some more qualified people will respond but I have picked up on some things reading these forums

Hey thanks bro. Yeah undergraduate in physics and next go for a Phd in applied physics or EE will be a good option. Philosophy is great and very interesting, you really go to the deepest of human existence. The thing is that i am planing 10 years of study xD.