Can Atoms Be Moved and Imaged Despite Wave-Particle Duality?

• Thread starter FeDeX_LaTeX
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Atoms
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of moving individual atoms to create the IBM logo using a Scanning-Tunneling Microscope. The individual discussing the topic is confused about the concept due to the wave-particle duality of atoms and the uncertainty principle. However, the process is explained as using the electronic charge density/density of states to create the image, which aligns with the predictions of wave-particle duality. The conversation concludes with the understanding that the Uncertainty Principle does not prevent atoms from having definite locations on an atomic scale.
FeDeX_LaTeX
Gold Member
"Moving Individual Atoms"?

Hello;

I recently read an article about this video - IBM moving individual xenon atoms to create the IBM logo.

I'm not sure I understand what they're doing in this video - are they using a computer to simulate/show what this would look like if the atoms really were that shape? I was under the impression that we aren't certain that atoms are particles because of the wave-like properties they can exhibit (for example, C60 molecule in double-slit experiment). A number of things don't make sense for me, such as why they aren't moving (they don't seem to obey Heinsenberg's uncertainty principle either since they seem to know exactly where they are - but is the computer simply using a probability density function to give the user an idea of the rough location of the atom?).

I also saw this picture: http://www.foresight.org/utf/unbound_lbw/pictures/ibm.gif

So what are they moving? Apologies if this is a stupid question, but I'm just confused, since atoms should be made up of smaller sub-atomic particles, and, on top of that, we shouldn't be seeing that kind of picture because of wave-particle duality, correct?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

They are moving atoms using a Scanning-Tunneling Microscope. It's a 'real' image, not a computer 'simulation'.

Who says the atoms don't obey Heisenberg's uncertainty principle? The uncertainty in the location of a Xenon atom is well below the resolution of the STM used here.

What you are seeing specifically is the electronic charge density/density of states. You are not measuring the precise location of any particular electron, and therefore you don't see particles, you see 'waves' of electron density, which can even form http://www.colorado.edu/physics/phys3220/phys3220_sp06/images/stm.gif" . That's exactly what the 'wave-particle duality' would predict.

If the Uncertainty Principle stopped atoms from having definite locations (on the atomic scale), then chemical compounds would not be geometrically stable.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is "Moving Individual Atoms"?

"Moving Individual Atoms" is a scientific process that involves manipulating individual atoms to control their position and movement. This is done on a nanoscale level, using specialized tools and techniques.

Why is it important to be able to move individual atoms?

Moving individual atoms allows scientists to study and understand the properties and behaviors of matter at a fundamental level. This knowledge can be applied in various fields such as materials science, electronics, and medicine.

How is it possible to move individual atoms?

There are various methods for moving individual atoms, such as using scanning probe microscopes, laser tweezers, and magnetic fields. These tools and techniques allow scientists to manipulate atoms with precision and control.

What are the potential applications of moving individual atoms?

Moving individual atoms has many potential applications, including the development of new materials with specific properties, creating more efficient and powerful electronic devices, and even building nanoscale machines for medical purposes.

What are the challenges of moving individual atoms?

One of the main challenges of moving individual atoms is the extremely delicate and precise nature of the process. It requires advanced equipment and skilled scientists to manipulate atoms without causing damage or disrupting their properties. Additionally, the cost and time involved in this process can also be a challenge.