Molding Plastics: Polystyrene & Valves

• Thread starter SpartanG345
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Molding
In summary, the easiest plastic to mold and shape once heated and strong once cooled down is polycaprolactone, also known as "Shapelock" in the US. It can be melted with hot water and shaped by hand, and is sold at a cheaper price on plaast.de. There may be some concerns about the safety of heating plastics and potential harmful gases, but it is generally considered safe for small pieces. For more information, searching for "plastic thermoforming" may be helpful.
SpartanG345
Hi

What is the easiest plastic to mold and shape once heated, and that is fairly strong once cooled down.

I was thinking of polystyrene form yogurt tubs or CD cases, because apparently if you heat it above 95 degrees it is easy to extrude and form

I want to make a connection to a valve which will make it easier to glue a rubber tube onto. I also want to glue the custom made connection onto the valve i just have to make sure it fits nicely 1st.

Also is it dangerous to heat plastics? are harmful gases if they are heated using an open flame?
If there any other safety factors to conciser please let be know :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
Not sure of the answer, but I would google plastic thermoforming for info. As far as danger factors... They do release gases, but if your just heating small peices I wouldn't imagine it would be that great of a danger. I used to work in a thermoforming plant and the air would get hazy with exhaust from the process... No one died or was injured, so there are no immediate health risks. Couldn't tell you about long term effects though.

A great plastic material is polycaprolactone. It can easily be melted with hot water and shaped by hand into any form. And it's very strong once it has cooled down.
Here is a video showing how it works

It's sold in the US as "Shapelock" (shapelock.com). But their prices are way too high.
The cheapest price I've found so far is on plaast.de. But I don't know if they ship outside of Germany.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is polystyrene and how is it used in molding plastics?

Polystyrene is a synthetic polymer made from the monomer styrene. It is commonly used in molding plastics due to its lightweight, low cost, and versatile properties. It can be easily molded into various shapes and is commonly used in packaging, insulation, and consumer products.

2. What is the role of valves in the molding plastics process?

Valves play a crucial role in the molding plastics process by controlling the flow of molten plastic into the mold. They help to regulate the pressure and temperature within the mold, ensuring that the plastic is evenly distributed and properly formed. Valves also help in the cooling process, allowing for the plastic to solidify and maintain its shape.

3. What are the advantages of using polystyrene in molding plastics?

There are several advantages to using polystyrene in molding plastics. It is lightweight, making it cost-effective for transportation and shipping. It is also a good insulator, making it ideal for packaging and insulation. Polystyrene is also strong and durable, making it suitable for a wide range of applications.

4. Can polystyrene be recycled and reused in the molding process?

Yes, polystyrene can be recycled and reused in the molding process. It can be melted down and reshaped into new products, making it a sustainable option for manufacturing. However, it is important to properly dispose of polystyrene waste to prevent environmental pollution.

5. What safety precautions should be taken when working with polystyrene and valves in molding plastics?

When working with polystyrene and valves in molding plastics, it is important to follow proper safety precautions. This includes wearing protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, to prevent contact with hot plastic. It is also important to properly maintain and monitor the valves to prevent accidents and ensure the quality of the molded plastic products.