Forces, magnitude and acceleration

In summary, a 42.9 kg girl and a 54.8 kg boy are on a frozen lake, 15.0 m apart. The girl exerts a horizontal 4.35 N force on the boy using a rope, pulling him towards her. According to Newton's second law, the force the girl exerts on the rope is equal and opposite to the force the rope pulls back on her. The formula for this is mass of girl * acceleration of girl = -acceleration of boy * mass of boy. The sum of the forces must equal 0 since they were initially at 0 acceleration as a system.
Angeluzmaia
Can someone help me please, with this problem? :cry:
I don't understand it :confused:

A 42.9 kg girl and a 54.8 kg boy are on the surface of a frozen lake, 15.0 m apart. Using a rope, the girl exerts a horizontal 4.35 N force on the boy, pulling him toward her. Calculate the magnitude of the girl's acceleration.

Thanxs a lot ... :smile:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Think about Newton's second law. They pair are initially at rest right? Considering this you know that the force the girl exerts on the rope to get the boy to come toward her is equal and opposite to the force the rope pulls back on her at because of the tension.

Can you help me with the formula?
I've been trying but I don't get it.

mass of girl * acceleration of girl = -acceleration of boy * mass of boy

sum of the forces must equal 0 since they were initially at 0 acceleration as a system. (edit sorry it's like 3AM here I probably should have answered this sooner)

1. What is a force?

A force is a push or pull that can cause an object to accelerate, change direction, or change shape.

2. How is force measured?

Force is measured in units called Newtons (N). One Newton is equal to 1 kilogram-meter per second squared (kg∙m/s²).

3. What is magnitude in relation to forces?

Magnitude refers to the size or strength of a force. It is typically measured in Newtons (N) or other units of force.

4. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object changes its velocity. It can be caused by a force acting on an object and is measured in meters per second squared (m/s²).

5. How are forces, magnitude, and acceleration related?

Forces can cause an object to accelerate, and the magnitude of the force determines the amount of acceleration. The greater the force, the greater the acceleration. If the forces acting on an object are balanced, there will be no acceleration.