Max Rage of a Projectile Uphill

In summary, the problem the person is working on is optimizing the uphill range of a projectile. They are trying to find the distance uphill, the angle alpha, and the maximum value for alpha. They are using the tan 2 alpha = -cot \theta equation to find x and y of the intersection of the projectile and the ground. They then use the distance equation to find the maximum value for alpha.
Tom McCurdy
Help: Max Rage of a Projectile Uphill

I am working on some physics on a site I found and was wondering if I could tap into some of the wisdom that seems embeded in the forums.

The problem I am working on is problem three from
http://www.math.rutgers.edu/~costin/291/w3.pdf

All I am interested in doing is show how to optimize the uphill range.

I have been doing some inital attacking but don't seem to be getting anywhere. I know the answer from that site [tex] tan 2 \alpha = -cot \theta [/tex]

Here is some of the stuff that I have been starting out doing
[tex] y/x=tan\theta [/tex]
[tex] y= x tan \theta [/tex]
[tex] R/x= sec \theta [/tex]
[tex] R = (Vot+1/2at^2) sec \theta [/tex]
[tex] \frac {v^2-V_o^2}{{2*9.8}}=x [/tex]

I am not very sure on how many of these are true because I haven't had time fully to reexamine them and I was trying to force things together that probably need to be placed. I will continue to work on this problem as I just started but If anyone can sucessfully show me how to come up with

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try to make a formula for the distance uphill, then apply calculus to get the maximiun value for the alpha angle. Consider intersection...

[tex] xtan\theta = tan\alpha x - \frac{g}{2v_{o}^{2}cos^{2}\alpha}x^{2} [/tex]

[tex] 0 = (tan\alpha - tan\theta)x - \frac{g}{2v_{o}^{2}cos^{2}\alpha}x^{2} [/tex]

[tex] 0 = x((tan\alpha - tan\theta) - \frac{g}{2v_{o}^{2}cos^{2}\alpha}x) [/tex]

so one x=0 and the other, you know...

after finding both X and Y of intersection, a simple apply of the distance formula with 0,0 and X,Y can get you d, after that you could find the max value for alpha using differential calculus.

Last edited:
Still a little lost... I am will look to see if there is any other help when I wake up...;
for example I am just taking my first calc course Calc BC how would us use calc to ge the max value for the alpha angle...

ty for your response Cyclovenom

By the way, i edited with some of the work.

There must be a way to do it without differential calculus... the physics course I am taking is made to have no math beyond deravatives and integration in calculus. I was wondering if someone could show me how to derrive

[tex] tan 2 \alpha = -cot \theta [/tex]

from the example

First, ignore the slope. A projectile (even a "raging" projectile!) fired with initial speed v0 and angle to the horizontal α has trajectory given by
x= v0cosα t and y= -(g/2)t2+ v0sinα t.

If the ground were level, "hitting the ground" would correspond to y= 0

Here, the "ground" is given by y= x tanθ so the projectile will hit the ground when tan&theta(v0cosα t)= -(g/2)t2+ v0sinα t

You could solve that quadratic equation for t in terms of α, which is fixed, and θ and then find the θ that maximizes x. I'n sure HOW you would do that without using the derivative!

Method One:
In this method please note that in the picture of the problem
[tex] \alpha is replaced by \beta [/tex]
[tex] \theta is replaced by \alpha [/tex]

Work

[tex]y=xtan\alpha[/tex]
[tex]x=Vocos\beta t[/tex]
[tex]y=Vosin\beta=-1/2gt^2[/tex]
[tex][/tex]
[tex]Vosin\Beta t = 1/2gt^2=xtan\alpha=Vocos/beta t tan \alpha [/tex]
[tex] t^2-\frac2{2}{{g}}(Vosin\beta-Vocos\beta tan\alpha)=0 [/tex]
[tex] t = (t-\frac2{2}{{g}}(Vosin\beta-Vocos\beta tan\alpha))=0 [/tex]
[tex] t=0 or t= \frac{2Vo}{{g}}(sin\beta-cos\betatan\alpha[/tex]
[tex] sec\alpha=\frac{R}{{x}} [/tex]
[tex] R=xsec\alpha [/tex]
[tex] =Vocos\beta t sec\alpha [/tex]
[tex] = Vocos\beta sec\alpha t [/tex]
[tex] =Vocos\beta sec\alpha (\frac{2vo}{{g}}(sin\beta-cos\beta tan\alpha)) [/tex]
[tex] =\frac{2vo^2}{{g}}\frac{sin\beta cos\beta}{{cos\alpha}}-\frac{cos^2\beta}{{cos\alpha}}\frac{sin\alpha}{{cos\alpha}} [/tex]
[tex] \frac{2Vo^2}{{g}} (\frac{sin\beta cos\beta cos\alpha - cos^2\beta sin\alpha}{{cos^2\alpha}} [/tex]
[tex] \frac{2Vo^2}{{g}}(\frac{sin\beta cos\alpha - cos\beta sin \alpha }{{cos^2\alpha}})cos\beta [/tex]
[tex] {2Vo^2}{{g}} \frac{{sin(alpha-\beta)cos\beta}{{cos^2\alpha}} [/tex]
[tex] R= \frac{2Vo^2}{{g}}(\frac{sin(\alpha - \beta)cos\beta}{{cos^2\alpha}}) [/tex]
[tex] R= \frac{2Vo^2}{{g}}(\frac{sin(2\beta-\alpha)-sin\alpha}{{cos^2\alpha}} [/tex]
since everything is constant minus [tex]sin(2/beta-/alpha) [/tex] you must maximize it[/tex]

[tex] 2\beta = \frac{\pi}{{2}}+\alpha [/tex]
[tex] \beta = \frac{\pi}{{4}}+\frac{\alpha}{{2}} [/tex]

Last edited:
Does this seem alright

Tom, will you please fix the Latex? oh and Yes the answer is correct.

Last edited:
I can't edit the post any more otherwise I would

1. What is the definition of "Max Rage of a Projectile Uphill"?

The maximum range of a projectile uphill refers to the furthest distance that a projectile can travel when launched from a point on a slope or an incline.

2. How is the max range of a projectile uphill different from the max range on a flat surface?

The max range of a projectile uphill takes into account the change in elevation, while the max range on a flat surface assumes a constant elevation. This means that the max range of a projectile uphill will be shorter than the max range on a flat surface due to the opposing force of gravity pulling the projectile back down the slope.

3. What factors can affect the max range of a projectile uphill?

The max range of a projectile uphill can be affected by the initial velocity of the projectile, the angle at which it is launched, and the slope of the incline. Other factors such as air resistance, wind, and the mass of the projectile can also have an impact.

4. Can the max range of a projectile uphill be calculated using a formula?

Yes, the max range of a projectile uphill can be calculated using the following formula: R = (v^2 sin2θ)/g, where R is the max range, v is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

5. How can the max range of a projectile uphill be useful in real-world applications?

The max range of a projectile uphill can be useful in various real-world applications, such as estimating the distance a cannonball can travel when launched from a hill during battle, or determining the optimal angle for launching a rocket from a mountain. It can also be used in sports such as skiing and snowboarding to calculate the maximum distance a person can travel when launching off a slope.