What are the limits of intelligence?

In summary, intelligence is the ability to create and bring ideas together, to make connections between things where direct connections don't exist. It is relative and can change over time. The current limits of human intelligence are defined in the resource.
Of course we could make up models where all IQ is affected by the same genes or where some genes affected some IQ and other genes affected other IQ.

It is a fact the juvenile g-loaded IQ is less hereditary than adult g-loaded IQ. This would be strange if the same genes affected both. I CONJECTURE that extreme g-loaded IQ is inherited differently from normal g-loaded IQ, either juvenile or adult. This accounts for the "man from Mars" impressions that some Ashkenazi Jews (e.g. Feymann, Erdos, von Neumann) have made on their normally high IQ contemporaries.

Physics news on Phys.org
Tom McCurdy said:
Does it even matter

In all likely hood humans will never reach their limit of intelligence (if there is one) before they are wiped out for whatever reason.
so u believe that there is no limit to a human brain to comprhend or to process information and store it for later use? or are u implying that mankind will destroy itself in the next century?? :confused: :confused:

There is not limit to intelligence, but there is always the barrier of "not knowing what we don't know", but people still discover new things by accidents. So, I'm supposing there is no real limitation to what we can inherit intellectually.

omin said:
A quote I remember:

"Life is strange", said Jeremy.

"Compared to what?", said the spider.

where did the quote come from?

Let's see if I can make some sense here.

There isn't any limit to intelligence, at least as far as we know. The probably with memory, which plays a huge part in intelligence, is that it is hard to retrieve information. We can learn and memorize anything, but remembering is the hard part.

There are objective measures of intelligence:
how quickly you can get a task done
how complicated a task can you manage
how many people can do the same tasks as you can

and subjective measures of intelligence - criteria that society defines as positive:
does the activity in your brain cause behaviour that makes you happy
does it make other people happy
does it enable you to survive
does it help others to survive
is it creative
is it unusual in some way that society says is positive