Buying a new computer and looking for advice

• Thread starter Ajiera
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computer
In summary, a user is seeking help in finding a new computer within a budget of $700 for normal student work and some gaming. They have chosen an AMD Athlon II X4 645 processor, 4GB DDR3 memory, 1TB hard drive, and a 1GB ATI Radeon HD5770 graphics card. They also mention posting on a forum for further advice.
Ajiera
Hello. First post on the board, so I would like any help I can get.

Im going to be going back to the US for about a week and in the time I want to pick up a new computer. I looked around and found a good site to build it for me, I picked out the insides and all. I am looking for something on the cheaper side, around 700, and a computer I can use for normal student related work and some games, like Starcraft 2 or Civ 5. Nothing too big, but enough to let me play the new up comming games for a few years.

Here is the build. Let me know if I should change anything or if it works or what. Thanks in advance.

AMD Athlon II X4 645 3.1GHz 2MB Cache FSB 4000MHz HT
Arctic Cooling Alpine ACALP64PWM Ultra Quiet Fan/Heatsink
MSI 880GM-E43 (Radeon HD4250 Video, HDMI, DVI, 5xSATA2, 4xDDR3)
4GB (2GBx2) PC3 10666 DDR3 1333Mhz Memory Lifetime Warranty
1TB 7200RPM 32MB Cache Serial ATA300 (Major Brand)
22X LG SATA Dual Layer DVD+/-RW/CDRW w/Nero
1GB ATI Radeon HD5770 GDDR5 PCI-E DVI/HDMI (Major Brand)
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
Foxconn Black FX-TS001A (3 5.25, 5 3.5) Fan, Front Audio/USB
ISO400 Foxconn Stock Power Supply
Onboard LAN included
Wireless B/G/N PCI Adapter
Onboard Sound included
Internal All in 1 Card Reader
2x 120mm Case Fan

Computer science news on Phys.org

Q: What specifications should I consider when buying a new computer?

The most important specifications to consider when buying a new computer are the processor, RAM, storage, graphics card, and screen resolution. These will determine the speed and performance of your computer, as well as its ability to handle tasks such as gaming or video editing.

Q: Should I buy a desktop or a laptop?

This depends on your needs and preferences. Desktops typically have more powerful components and are better for tasks that require a lot of processing power, while laptops are more portable. Consider what you will primarily use the computer for and decide which option suits you best.

Q: What operating system should I choose?

The most common operating systems are Windows and MacOS. Windows is more widely used and has a larger variety of software available, while MacOS is known for its user-friendly interface and is often preferred by creatives. Consider your budget and needs to determine which operating system is best for you.

Q: How much should I budget for a new computer?

The cost of a new computer can vary greatly depending on the specifications, brand, and type. On average, a decent computer can cost anywhere from $500 to $2000. Consider your needs and budget to determine how much you are willing to spend.

Q: Where can I find reliable reviews and recommendations for buying a new computer?

There are many websites and forums dedicated to computer reviews and recommendations. Some popular ones include CNET, PCMag, and Tom's Hardware. It is also helpful to ask for recommendations from friends or family members who have recently purchased a computer.

Back