Should I consider Biomedical Engineering?

In summary, the conversation discusses a person's interest in pursuing a degree in Biomedical Engineering and their concerns about the math requirements. They also mention their interest in Neuroscience and how engineering principles may apply to it. The conversation suggests that the standard calculus sequence is typically required for engineering majors and that speaking with professors may provide more insight on the job requirements and opportunities.
andryd9
Hello,
New to this forum so I apologize in advance if this post is either irrelevant or redundant:) I am considering a degree in Biomedical Engineering, and I am a bit worried about the maths requirements. I have done well through Calc I, but with a progressive sense of things being more and more challenging. I have spoken with the best students in my classes, and am concerned that they more naturally grasp what is so hard for me to learn. Perhaps I should also offer up the reason I want to study Biomedical Engineering...I am interested in Neuroscience, and how principles of engineering might apply to it. It seems to me that all the people doing interesting work in this regard are Biomedical Engineers with MD degrees. I wonder, how much of which types of math will I need to do this job well? And does it ever get easier...if I keep going will I hit a point where it all clicks and I suddenly have more answers than questions? TIA for any input.

Physics news on Phys.org
Typically all engineering majors will have the standard calculus sequence (4 courses, if you include differential equations) plus, maybe, additional math requirements. If you did well in your first course, there is no reason to think you won't continue. For the calculus sequence, it all pretty much builds on the previous.

I would be willing to bet that more than just MD's are doing interesting work in that area. You may have to continue your education to a PhD though if you want to do research. I would recommend going to talk to a few of the BioMed professors and see what they think and ask some of the same questions.

Good luck!

1. What is biomedical engineering?

Biomedical engineering is a field that combines principles of engineering and medicine to develop solutions for healthcare and medical issues. It involves the application of engineering principles and techniques to analyze and solve problems in biology and medicine.

2. What skills do I need to have to become a successful biomedical engineer?

To be a successful biomedical engineer, you should have a strong foundation in math and science, as well as critical thinking and problem-solving skills. You should also have a good understanding of biology and medical principles, as well as proficiency in engineering design and analysis.

3. What are the job prospects for biomedical engineers?

The job outlook for biomedical engineers is excellent, with a projected growth rate of 5% from 2019 to 2029, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. Biomedical engineers can find employment in various industries, including medical device manufacturing, pharmaceuticals, research and development, and healthcare.

4. How much can I expect to earn as a biomedical engineer?

The average salary for a biomedical engineer in the United States is around $91,410 per year, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. However, salaries can vary depending on factors such as education, experience, and industry.

5. What are some potential challenges of working in biomedical engineering?

Some potential challenges of working in biomedical engineering include keeping up with rapidly advancing technologies and regulations, working on multidisciplinary teams, and dealing with ethical considerations in developing medical solutions. However, these challenges can also lead to growth and development in the field.