The number of complex numbers that satisfy the equation

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving finding the number of complex numbers that satisfy a given equation. The poster suggests a method involving replacing numbers and using calculus, but another poster points out some errors in the approach and offers an easier method using the real and imaginary parts of the equation. The conversation ends with the original poster acknowledging the mistake and working towards a solution using the suggested method.
Chuckster

Homework Statement

So, i have this equation, and it is asked of me to find the number of complex numbers that satisfy the equation. (z=x+iy)

Homework Equations

[tex]z-\overline{z}+|z-i|=4-2i[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried replacing the numbers and i got something like this
[tex]x+iy-x+iy+\sqrt{x^{2}+(y-1)^{2}}=4-2i}[/tex]

After that, the calculus gets a little complicated, so I'm wondering if I'm going in the right direction?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your approach is fine, but you made several silly errors. If [itex] z = x+iy [/itex], then [itex] \overline{z} = x - iy [/itex]. Also z - i = x + iy - i = x + i(y-1).

Anyway, there's actually an easy way to see the answer to this problem. Recall that the real part of z can be calculated by

[tex]
\text{Re}(z) = \frac{z + \overline{z}}{2}
[/tex]

So what kind of a number is [itex] z + \overline{z}[/itex]? And |z - i|? (Don't just say complex.)

Last edited:
spamiam said:
Your approach is fine, but you made several silly errors. If [itex] z = x+iy [/itex], then [itex] \overline{z} = x - iy [/itex]. Also z - i = x + iy - i = x + i(y-1).

Anyway, there's actually an easy way to see the answer to this problem. Recall that the real part of z can be calculated by

[tex]
\text{Re}(z) = \frac{z + \overline{z}}{2}
[/tex]

So what kind of a number is [itex] z + \overline{z}[/itex]? And |z - i|? (Don't just say complex.)

I made an error while copying the original equation, and partly copying my idea, fixed it in the original post now.
I think my first step is okay now, having in mind changes i made?

It's important that this is the right way. I'll just finish it, i guess i made a mistake in the calculus somewhere along the way.

Ah okay, that changes things! For your original equation, the left-hand side was all real numbers, so the equation had no solutions.

Yes, your revised attempt looks good. Now you just have to relate the real and imaginary parts on the right- and left-hand sides.

1. How many complex numbers satisfy the equation?

The number of complex numbers that satisfy an equation depends on the degree of the equation. For a polynomial equation of degree n, there can be at most n complex solutions. However, some equations may have fewer or no complex solutions.

2. Can there be an infinite number of complex solutions?

No, there cannot be an infinite number of complex solutions for an equation. As mentioned before, the number of complex solutions is limited by the degree of the equation. In some cases, there may be an infinite number of real solutions, but not complex solutions.

3. Are all complex numbers solutions to the equation?

No, not all complex numbers are solutions to an equation. Only those complex numbers that satisfy the equation are considered as solutions. For example, if an equation has a restriction like "x cannot be equal to 0", then any complex number with a real part of 0 would not be a valid solution.

4. How do you find the complex solutions to an equation?

To find the complex solutions to an equation, you can use various methods such as factoring, quadratic formula, or graphing. Additionally, you can also solve the equation by setting the real and imaginary parts equal to each other and solving for the variable.

5. Can an equation have multiple complex solutions?

Yes, an equation can have multiple complex solutions. This is especially true for higher degree equations. For example, a cubic equation can have up to 3 complex solutions. Additionally, some equations may have multiple solutions that are the same complex number.