Osama Bin Laden killed by US in Pakistan

• News
  • Thread starter Mech_Engineer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bin
In summary, Osama bin Laden, the mastermind behind the 9/11 terrorist attacks, has been killed in an intelligence-led operation in Pakistan. The news comes nearly a decade after the attacks and is a major victory for the US. Obama is expected to make a statement about the news Sunday night.
Terrorism does not stop with osama bin laden.He is one of those who has sowed the seeds for extreme ideology.So while this is a moral or whatever else type of victory someone may say, the ideology is pretty much alive.

Physics news on Phys.org
thorium1010 said:
Terrorism does not stop with osama bin laden.He is one of those who has sowed the seeds for extreme ideology.So while this is a moral or whatever else type of victory someone may say, the ideology is pretty much alive.
Some people engage in devil worship too - what is your point? Has anyone else done anything comparable? There's a big difference between thinking and doing.

WhoWee said:
He's dead - "courtesy of the red, white and blue" - enjoy it.

I like your style.

Last edited by a moderator:
And this headline from Reuters.

Mideast reax to Bin Laden death

Seriously, do they have school children type these things?

Attachments

• bin laden reax 1.jpg
    bin laden reax 1.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 352
Evo said:
And this headline from Reuters.

Mideast reax to Bin Laden death

Seriously, do they have school children type these things?

People "ax" me questions all of the time.:rolleyes:

WhoWee said:
Some people engage in devil worship too - what is your point? Has anyone else done anything comparable? There's a big difference between thinking and doing.

you are joking right ? Given time any terrorist would match what osama has done unless kept in check. Thinking is one thing but motivation for doing it comes from you know where .

Last edited:
thorium1010 said:
you are joking right ? Given time any terrorist would match what osama has done unless kept in check. Thinking is one thing but motivation for doing it comes from you know from where .

The "doing" part comes when we let down our guard and start believing we're safe - IMO.

I haven't read this entire thread so maybe someone has asked this already, but, they said they confirmed with DNA testing that it was Osama, so what DNA did they compare it too? They already had Osama's DNA? That's odd.

qspeechc said:
I haven't read this entire thread so maybe someone has asked this already, but, they said they confirmed with DNA testing that it was Osama, so what DNA did they compare it too? They already had Osama's DNA? That's odd.

Not so odd, I think. He fought on the American side in the 80's, if I recall correctly, so a sample may have been obtained then. If not that, then perhaps they compared his DNA with the DNA of other bin Laden family members. That would be enough to at least confirm a familial match.

Ok that explains a lot (I don't know much about these things). Another thing I find strange is that this compound was so close to the Pakistani military training ground or whatever it was, and they didn't have a clue! It was something like 1km away, now that is astounding.

I really suggest you guys watch this video. It is very touching, and really reminds us what we're all here for.

I do not know how reliable this is , they id ed him with his dead sister's brain ?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/pakistan/8488004/Osama-Bin-Ladens-body-identified-by-sisters-brain.html" [Broken]

DaveC426913 said:
This is not really a murky issue; it's pretty black and white.
Yeah, and I'm 100% sure he got a fair trial before the death sentence was imposed.

A cartoon in the UK paper a couple of days ago summed up the attutude of these animals (I mean the ones with US citizenship) pretty well, though it's curious that it appeared just before this news broke. A GI Joe with his rifle stuck up the nose of Islamist, saying "You can't be innocent. If you were, you would be locked up in Gitmo".

qspeechc said:
Ok that explains a lot (I don't know much about these things). Another thing I find strange is that this compound was so close to the Pakistani military training ground or whatever it was, and they didn't have a clue! It was something like 1km away, now that is astounding.
Re: my bold, I don't think that we should be gullible enough to assume that. Bin Laden was VERY wealthy, and quite able to buy off enough politicians and military officers to ensure himself safe haven. We may learn more of the back-story in days and weeks to come, but don't expect to see anything made public that would embarrass Pakistan's leadership.

AlephZero said:
Yeah, and I'm 100% sure he got a fair trial before the death sentence was imposed.

His options were lie down and be captured, or resist and die. I guess we know which one he chose. He didn't die because the seals were there to carry out a death sentence, he's dead because he probably shot at them.

AlephZero said:
Yeah, and I'm 100% sure he got a fair trial before the death sentence was imposed

As reported, Osama resisted. Cops shoot people every day under similar circumstances.

I'm not sure if they wanted him dead or alive, but he almost certainly would have been more valuable in terms of information, if taken alive.

No matter. Many people will spin this negatively regardless of the facts. In the end, this will only serve to further discredit the extreme right. Most Americans are thrilled that we got this menace. No amount of complaining will change that fact.

Ivan Seeking said:
No matter. Many people will spin this negatively regardless of the facts. In the end, this will only serve to further discredit the extreme right.

Who in the "extreme right" is complaining he didn't receive due process?

Here's another link describing how they id osama also the dna match

http://healthland.time.com/2011/05/02/its-a-match-how-officials-used-dna-to-identify-bin-laden/" [Broken]

Of course, to ID Bin Laden in this way, they would have to have some Bin Laden DNA lying around to compare it to. I don't know if they had some from some inside source, or not. What they do have is brain tissue from Bin Laden's sister, who died in the US. They can compare his genetic signature to hers and determine if they are related — which is as close as you can get to guaranteeing it's Bin Laden without a sample of his actual DNA from prior to his death.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/blog/post.cfm?id=how-do-you-id-a-dead-osama-anyway-2011-05-02"

KingNothing said:
I'm guessing Mr. Trump will need to see a long-form death certificate?

Damn. I was waiting at work all day to come home and drop this one.

Ivan Seeking said:
I'm not sure if they wanted him dead or alive, but he almost certainly would have been more valuable in terms of information, if taken alive.

There was a military official on the news that said he wasn't a valuable information source. I'll see if I can find a clip that might explain their position.

Ivan Seeking said:
In the end, this will only serve to further discredit the extreme right. Most Americans are thrilled that we got this menace. No amount of complaining will change that fact.

Are you referring to the waterboarding of KSM?

qspeechc said:

They totally knew. They say they didn't, but they did... there's no way they didn't.

Pakistan has been screwing the rest of the world for years over this issue and nothing gives me any indication that they'll stop trying.

Newai said:
There was a military official on the news that said he wasn't a valuable information source. I'll see if I can find a clip that might explain their position.

Yeah, that's why they were ripping out hard drives before leaving the compound. :rolleyes:

Mech_Engineer said:
Who in the "extreme right" is complaining he didn't receive due process?

Have you visited any right-wing forums lately?

WhoWee said:
Are you referring to the waterboarding of KSM?

I have no idea how you jumped to that. I was talking about getting Osama.

But it is interesting that where Bush failed after 7 years, Obama got him in 2; without the use of torture.

AlephZero said:
Seriously? Maybe you need a primer in law then. An accused must first allow himself to be arrested. Do you suppose OBL and all his friends dropped their guns and put up their hands?

And it doesn't make sense to kill him. He is far far more useful alive. They would have had a field day parading him around. They'd be insane to impose this "death sentence" as you call it. Having him alive would absolutely and unequivocably vanquish the inevitable conspiracists that are already raising their heads.

Ivan Seeking said:
Have you visited any right-wing forums lately?

No?:confused: Who does that?:rofl:

JesseC said:
How are the US military going to justify invading any more middle eastern countries now? :O

oil. charge five bucks a gallon for gas and most of won't care wher you get it. just lower the damn price.

Ivan Seeking said:
Yeah, that's why they were ripping out hard drives before leaving the compound. :rolleyes:

Well Osama as an info source =/= hard drives as a source.

Ivan Seeking said:
I have no idea how you jumped to that. I was talking about getting Osama.

But it is interesting that where Bush failed after 7 years, Obama got him in 2; without the use of torture.

I'll try to find a link - heard a report that intel gathered from KSM and verifed in 2007 provided the courier.

turbo-1 said:
Re: my bold, I don't think that we should be gullible enough to assume that. Bin Laden was VERY wealthy, and quite able to buy off enough politicians and military officers to ensure himself safe haven. We may learn more of the back-story in days and weeks to come, but don't expect to see anything made public that would embarrass Pakistan's leadership.

Although behind the scenes, Pakistan will have many questions to answer.

Ivan Seeking said:
In the end, this will only serve to further discredit the extreme right. Most Americans are thrilled that we got this menace.

Nothing like politicizing the greatest day in recent US history less than 24 hours after the announcement. Even politicians aren't this bad.

As for the conspiracy theorists, this is an easy one. If Bin laden shows up in a video within the next few months, they lied. If not, he's dead.

WhoWee said:
I'll try to find a link - heard a report that intel gathered from KSM and verifed in 2007 provided the courier.

Even if so [note that Fox reported Osama was killed by a bomb a week ago] that was four years ago.

Obama got him in just over two years without the use of torture.

Ivan Seeking said:

bin laden. He was described as not a valuable source of information, particularly in terms of actually providing it and being in charge of developing programs himself.

Newai said:
bin laden. He was described as not a valuable source of information, particularly in terms of actually providing it and being in charge of developing programs himself.

By definition, they can't know that until they catch him.

How can we say what he knows if we can't even find him. The assertion fails with no need of further consideration.

Anyway, I'm going to celebrate tonight with TWO bottles of wine and a Michael Bay movie.

<h2>1. Who was Osama Bin Laden?</h2><p>Osama Bin Laden was a Saudi Arabian terrorist and the founder of the militant group Al-Qaeda. He was responsible for orchestrating numerous terrorist attacks, including the 9/11 attacks on the World Trade Center in New York City.</p><h2>2. How was Osama Bin Laden killed?</h2><p>Osama Bin Laden was killed by a team of US Navy SEALs in a covert operation in Abbottabad, Pakistan on May 2, 2011. The operation, code-named Operation Neptune Spear, was authorized by then-President Barack Obama.</p><h2>3. Why was Osama Bin Laden killed in Pakistan?</h2><p>Osama Bin Laden was killed in Pakistan because he had been hiding in a compound in Abbottabad, a city in the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province. The US had been tracking him for years and finally located him in this compound, leading to the decision to carry out the operation in Pakistan.</p><h2>4. What was the impact of Osama Bin Laden's death?</h2><p>The death of Osama Bin Laden was a major victory for the US and its allies in the fight against terrorism. It dealt a significant blow to Al-Qaeda and served as a message to other terrorist groups that their actions would not go unpunished.</p><h2>5. What happened to Osama Bin Laden's body after he was killed?</h2><p>After he was killed, Osama Bin Laden's body was buried at sea in accordance with Islamic tradition. The US government stated that they did not want to create a physical memorial for Bin Laden that could potentially become a site of pilgrimage for extremists.</p>

1. Who was Osama Bin Laden?

Osama Bin Laden was a Saudi Arabian terrorist and the founder of the militant group Al-Qaeda. He was responsible for orchestrating numerous terrorist attacks, including the 9/11 attacks on the World Trade Center in New York City.

2. How was Osama Bin Laden killed?

Osama Bin Laden was killed by a team of US Navy SEALs in a covert operation in Abbottabad, Pakistan on May 2, 2011. The operation, code-named Operation Neptune Spear, was authorized by then-President Barack Obama.

3. Why was Osama Bin Laden killed in Pakistan?

Osama Bin Laden was killed in Pakistan because he had been hiding in a compound in Abbottabad, a city in the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province. The US had been tracking him for years and finally located him in this compound, leading to the decision to carry out the operation in Pakistan.

4. What was the impact of Osama Bin Laden's death?

The death of Osama Bin Laden was a major victory for the US and its allies in the fight against terrorism. It dealt a significant blow to Al-Qaeda and served as a message to other terrorist groups that their actions would not go unpunished.

5. What happened to Osama Bin Laden's body after he was killed?

After he was killed, Osama Bin Laden's body was buried at sea in accordance with Islamic tradition. The US government stated that they did not want to create a physical memorial for Bin Laden that could potentially become a site of pilgrimage for extremists.