What do you think about viruses?

• Thread starter nucleargirl
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses various interesting topics related to viruses, including their potential use in nanotechnology and their role in the sea. It also touches on the potential of viruses in aiding antibiotic research and other areas of biological study. Some examples of current research using viruses for self-assembly and gene therapy are also mentioned. Overall, there is a lot of excitement and potential in virology research.
nucleargirl
Its a bit open-ended but I think there are a lot of clever people here and I'd like to know their thoughts on this topic. viruses as in the parasitic/biology kind. like, what areas of virus research do you think will be important? what new advances have there been recently that's exciting? where is the potential in virology?

some topics that I think are interesting:

viruses and nanotechnology. I don't know much about nanotechnology but I see viruses as programmable 'factories' which could possibly be used to produce nanotechnology-related things? is that too sci-fi?

viruses in the sea. I don't know how they are important, but there are so many of them that they must be. but what effects do they have and how to use them for human benefit?

bacteriophages and antibiotics. There must be things we can learn from the phages to make better antibiotics. but has this already been done?

ok, let me know what you think!

Biology news on Phys.org
nucleargirl said:
viruses and nanotechnology. I don't know much about nanotechnology but I see viruses as programmable 'factories' which could possibly be used to produce nanotechnology-related things? is that too sci-fi?

This idea is definitely not too sci-fi as researchers are already using the capacity for viruses to self-assemble into nanostructures in order to fabricate new materials like batteries. See for example the following TED talk by MIT Professor of Chemistry Angela Belcher: http://www.ted.com/speakers/angela_belcher.html

Areas of virus research that I'm interested in (aside from the obvious health related issues) are using viruses as model systems to study some of the basic biological processes that lead to complexity in biology. Viruses are complex enough to be considered by some (but not all scientists) as "living systems," yet simple enough to also be considered chemical systems (some of which can even be synthesized from scratch). Some viruses provide good model systems for studying processes like self-assembly, for example. In addition, the biochemical machinery of viruses is often simpler than the corresponding cellular machinery and can provided researchers with nice model systems to study. For example, the T4 replisome is much simpler than the cellular machinery used for DNA replication in either humans or bacteria. Biochemical studies of the T4 replisome (many of which are ongoing) are helping understand how the different components of this multiprotein complex work together to catalyze a very complicated, multi-step chemical reaction.

There is also emerging research to suggest that retroelements in our genomes, originally derived from retroviruses, may be important for the proper functioning and development of the brain (see for example http://www.sciencemag.org/content/332/6027/300.full) although this claim remains controversial and many more studies need to be done to really figure out what's going on in this area.

There are definitely a ton of other exciting areas of research surrounding viruses that I've left out, but I believe I've said enough to substantiate the claim that viruses are awesome!

Last edited:
Interesting question. Nanotechnology is any technology that has been specifically engineered on the nanoscale, that's 1-100nm. By specific engineering I mean that this engineering creates the desired function.

Viruses don't tend to make anything*, if you like they are less like other life and more like natural nanoparticles. There are many other potential ways viruses could help us though, the most obvious use is for gene therapy as viruses have naturally evolved to insert RNA or DNA into other cells.

The idea of phage therapy is one that has been around for a long while but has not been approved anywhere else but some former soviet union countries IIRC due to the huge obstacles such as activating the bodies anti-viral immune responses. Funnily enough though a lot of modern nanomedicine research focuses on similar lines, trying to make self assembling nanoparticles that specifically target certain infections.

*though Ygggdrasil has pointed out one of the cases where they have been used for such

Self assembling DNA nanostructures propogated via retroviruses are definitely plausible.

http://www.sciencemag.org/content/332/6027/342.abstract

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2556356/

http://www.nature.com/nnano/journal/v5/n10/full/nnano.2010.193.html

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v459/n7243/full/nature07971.html

Those last 2 should be of particular interest. Those complex structures are the result of automated self-assembly of specific DNA single strands. Viruses could be used to replicate the required sequences, which would then self assemble.

Last edited by a moderator:

I find viruses to be incredibly fascinating and complex organisms. They have been studied for centuries and yet there is still so much we don't fully understand about them. In terms of virus research, I believe that understanding the mechanisms behind viral infection and replication will continue to be a crucial area of study. This includes understanding how viruses interact with host cells, how they evade the immune system, and how they evolve over time.

One recent advance that has been particularly exciting is the use of CRISPR-Cas9 gene editing technology to target and eliminate specific viruses. This has the potential to revolutionize the way we treat viral infections and could lead to the development of more effective antiviral therapies.

I agree that the intersection of viruses and nanotechnology is a fascinating area of research. Viruses have the ability to self-assemble and replicate, making them potentially useful in the production of nanomaterials. However, I do believe that it is important to approach this with caution and carefully consider any potential risks involved.

In terms of viruses in the sea, they play a crucial role in marine ecosystems and can have both positive and negative impacts. For example, some viruses can infect and kill harmful algae, helping to maintain a healthy balance in the ocean. On the other hand, viruses can also cause diseases in marine animals and affect the health of coral reefs. Understanding these interactions is important for both environmental and human health purposes.

Bacteriophages, or viruses that infect bacteria, have been studied for their potential to combat antibiotic-resistant bacteria. While there has been some success in using phages as an alternative to antibiotics, more research is needed to fully understand their effectiveness and potential risks.

In conclusion, viruses are incredibly diverse and complex organisms that continue to be a major area of research in biology. I am excited to see what new discoveries and advancements will be made in the future and how they will impact our understanding and treatment of viral infections.

What do you think about viruses?

As a scientist, I have studied viruses extensively and have come to understand their impact on human health and the environment. Here are five frequently asked questions about viruses and my responses.

What are viruses?

Viruses are tiny infectious agents that can only survive and reproduce inside the cells of a living host. They are made up of genetic material (either DNA or RNA) enclosed in a protein coat.

How do viruses spread?

Viruses can spread through various means such as direct contact with an infected person, through the air (via coughing and sneezing), through contaminated food and water, and through insect or animal bites.

Can viruses be treated?

There are antiviral medications available that can help treat some viral infections. However, treatment options for viruses are limited compared to bacterial infections and often focus on managing symptoms rather than curing the infection.

How can we protect ourselves from viruses?

The best way to protect ourselves from viruses is through practicing good hygiene, such as washing our hands regularly, avoiding close contact with sick individuals, and staying up to date on recommended vaccinations.

Are all viruses harmful?

No, not all viruses are harmful. Some viruses can actually be beneficial, such as those that help regulate the microbiome in our bodies or those that are used in genetic engineering and biotechnology.