Fiber optic current sensors

In summary, a fiber optic current sensor is a sensor that uses optical fibers to measure electric current by detecting changes in light intensity. It works through the Faraday Effect, and has advantages such as high accuracy and immunity to interference. Applications include power systems and medical devices, but limitations exist such as specialized equipment and higher costs compared to traditional sensors.
strafer
Hello..I'm a undergrad student from hyderabad ,India. Presently I'm am doing a theory based research project on fiber optic current sensors ..which are mainly used to sense current in substations .

Recently i got a paper when i googled on the net. It was titled Temperature and Vibration Insensitive Fiber-Optic current sensor(pdf file attached ). In this papers two configurations of FOCS are discussed

-fiber-optic current sensor with 1.Sagnac interferometer configuration
2 .Reflective configuration

As I'm still graduating ..i don't have a deep knowledge on these configs but howevr I am aware of the basics of fiber optics and communications

Can anyone explain the following :

1.these two configs in detail...also differences between them ,pricniples of operation,current ratings measured by each..advantages and disadvantages etc

2.paper explanation in detail..

Hoping for positive replies...please help. i need this info ASAP

http://www.mediafire.com/?yjotjb1tim2cv4m (link to pdf)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are asking for a great deal here!

I will only summarize: both configurations depend on the Faraday effect, which basically states that there is a nonreciprocal phase shift induced between the counterpropagating beams. The light must be circularly polarized, as I recall (not sure anymore about this). Since a current develops a static or quasi-static magnetic field, this phase shift is a measure of the current's intensity. You will need to do a good deal of reading on how this phase shift iselectronically processed (the path lengths are ac-modulated and phase-sensitively demodulated, etc.)

In the "Sagnac" configuration (and BTW the Sagnac effect itself is a source of error here), light is launched into both fiber coil ends, then ther two emerging beams are allowed to interfere with another to determine the phase shift. In the case of the reflectng configuration, resonance is set up in a closed fiber optic coil, but again the phase shift indicates the magnitude of the current.

I went thru the paper again ..even i analyzed that i had asked for more sorry for that..
and btw you said that i have to do a lot of reading on how phase shift is electronically processed..so can you tell me the source of that info... please suggest ..any book or online

btw thank you for the above info!

The classic is a book by the German publisher Springer-Verlag (it's in English). It contains many of the early and best papers on the subject, by many authors. But I warn you, it's expensive. UIt may be out of print by now. And it does not address current sensing.

Also very good is the book by Herve LeFevre: http://books.google.com/books/about/The_fiber_optic_gyroscope.html?id=5W9TAAAAMAAJ

I found this on the Web, looks excellent, is encompassing, and incredibly it's free: http://www.uta.edu/rfmems/Teralum_old/00902150.pdf

Beyond that I suggest you also do some googling.

thank you for the info..btw can you tell me how temperature affects this type of optical sensor??

Rude man has given you a starting point. You need to do your own research now.

Thread locked.

1. What is a fiber optic current sensor?

A fiber optic current sensor is a type of sensor that uses optical fibers to measure electric current. It works by detecting changes in the light intensity transmitted through the fiber, which is affected by the magnetic field generated by the current.

2. How does a fiber optic current sensor work?

A fiber optic current sensor works by using the Faraday Effect, where the magnetic field generated by the current causes a rotation in the polarization of light passing through an optical fiber. This change in polarization can be measured and used to calculate the current.

3. What are the advantages of using fiber optic current sensors?

Fiber optic current sensors have several advantages over traditional current sensors, including high accuracy, immunity to electromagnetic interference, and the ability to measure high currents without being affected by the heat generated. They are also smaller, lighter, and more durable.

4. What are some applications of fiber optic current sensors?

Fiber optic current sensors are commonly used in power systems for accurate and reliable measurement of current. They are also used in industrial settings, such as in the monitoring of high-voltage equipment, and in medical devices, such as MRI machines.

5. Are there any limitations to using fiber optic current sensors?

While fiber optic current sensors have many benefits, they do have some limitations. They require specialized equipment and expertise for installation and maintenance, and they are more expensive compared to traditional current sensors. Additionally, they are not suitable for measuring low currents.