Finding realtive extrema

• Thread starter k3k3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Extrema
In summary, the student is trying to find a solution to the equation sin(w) = 0. They found that 1=0 and that sin(w) = 0.
k3k3

Homework Statement

Let h:(0,1)→ℝ be defined by h(x)=cos([itex]\pi\\[/itex]/x). Determine the set of all x such that x has a relative extreme value at x.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

It is common knowledge that the min and max are -1 and 1. Using intuition, it is clear by guess and check to arrive at x=1/(2n+1) gives a minimum and x=1/2n gives a maximum.

Using the first derivative test, I arrive at 1=0 which is not true. I am unsure how to interpret this answer.

Trying to solve [itex]d^{2}[/itex](cos([itex]\pi\\[/itex]/x))/d[itex]x^{2}[/itex]=0 is proving to be a real challenge.

I am only concerned about this since my professor wants me to show my work, so I do not think saying I guessed and checked will be acceptable.

Physics news on Phys.org
k3k3 said:

Homework Statement

Let h:(0,1)→ℝ be defined by h(x)=cos([itex]\pi\\[/itex]/x). Determine the set of all x such that x has a relative extreme value at x.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

It is common knowledge that the min and max are -1 and 1. Using intuition, it is clear by guess and check to arrive at x=1/(2n+1) gives a minimum and x=1/2n gives a maximum.

Using the first derivative test, I arrive at 1=0 which is not true. I am unsure how to interpret this answer.

Trying to solve [itex]d^{2}[/itex](cos([itex]\pi\\[/itex]/x))/d[itex]x^{2}[/itex]=0 is proving to be a real challenge.

I am only concerned about this since my professor wants me to show my work, so I do not think saying I guessed and checked will be acceptable.
Instead of guessing at the answer, find the values of x for which h'(x) = 0.

Show us what you did to arrive at 1 = 0.

Mark44 said:
Instead of guessing at the answer, find the values of x for which h'(x) = 0.

Show us what you did to arrive at 1 = 0.

Using the chain rule, h'(x)=[itex]\pi\\[/itex]sin([itex]\pi\\[/itex]/x)*1/x[itex]^{2}[/itex]

Set it equal to 0

[itex]\pi\\[/itex]sin([itex]\pi\\[/itex]/x)*1/x[itex]^{2}[/itex]=0

Multiply both sides by x[itex]^{2}[/itex]/[itex]\pi\\[/itex] yields sin([itex]\pi\\[/itex]/x)=0

Take the arcsin of both sides yields

[itex]\pi\\[/itex]/x=0

Divide both sides by pi,

1/x=0

Multiply both sides by x

1=0

Or am I forgetting that there are more possible values that arcsin can be 0?

k3k3 said:
Using the chain rule, h'(x)=[itex]\pi\\[/itex]sin([itex]\pi\\[/itex]/x)*1/x[itex]^{2}[/itex]

Set it equal to 0

[itex]\pi\\[/itex]sin([itex]\pi\\[/itex]/x)*1/x[itex]^{2}[/itex]=0

Multiply both sides by x[itex]^{2}[/itex]/[itex]\pi\\[/itex] yields sin([itex]\pi\\[/itex]/x)=0

Take the arcsin of both sides yields

[itex]\pi\\[/itex]/x=0

Divide both sides by pi,

1/x=0

Multiply both sides by x

1=0

Or am I forgetting that there are more possible values that arcsin can be 0?

You should not be looking at the arcsin; you should be looking for solutions of the equation sin(w) = 0. Can you see why the arcsin misses all but one solution?

RGV

What is the definition of relative extrema?

Relative extrema are points on a graph where the function either has a local maximum or minimum value.

How can I determine if a point is a relative extrema?

To determine if a point is a relative extrema, you can use the first or second derivative test. If the first derivative is equal to zero and the second derivative is positive, the point is a relative minimum. If the first derivative is equal to zero and the second derivative is negative, the point is a relative maximum.

Can a function have more than one relative extrema?

Yes, a function can have multiple relative extrema. It is possible to have both a relative maximum and a relative minimum on a single graph.

How do I find the coordinates of a relative extrema on a graph?

To find the coordinates of a relative extrema, you can use the x-value of the point and plug it into the original function. The resulting y-value will give you the coordinates of the relative extrema.

Why are relative extrema important in mathematics?

Relative extrema play an important role in optimization problems, where we want to find the maximum or minimum value of a function. They also help us understand the behavior of a function and its critical points.