Bullet Strikes Wheel - find rotations/second

In summary, a 100 gram lead weight collides with a stationary wheel comprised of two 50.0 cm long thin rods and a thin metal ring with a mass of 10.00 kg. The collision is inelastic, causing energy to not be conserved. However, linear momentum is conserved as the momentum from the collision is redirected to the Earth. The bullet does have angular momentum, calculated using the formula L = r X p, and the final rotational speed of the wheel plus lead mass is 1.98 rad/s, equivalent to .315 rotations per second.
yesiammanu

Homework Statement

The wheel shown in the sketch below, is comprised of two 50.0 cm long thin rods of negligible mass and a thin metal ring with a mass of 10.00 kg, mounted on a very low friction bearing. A 100 gram lead weight is shot horizontally at the stationary wheel with an initial speed of 50.0 m/s and sticks to the rim of the wheel. What is the rotational speed of the wheel plus lead mass immediately after the collision? Give your answer in revolutions/second.

Homework Equations

I = mr^2
L = Iω
KE = 1/2 mv^2
KErot = 1/2 Iω^2

The Attempt at a Solution

1/2 mv^2 = 1/2 Iω^2
1/2(.1 kg) (50 m/s)^2 = 1/2( 10.1 kg )(.25 m)^2 ω^2
ω^2 = (125 kg * m^2 / s^2)/ .315625 kg * ms^2)
ω = 19.9 / s
Rotations = ω/2pi = 19.9/2pi = 3.16 rev/s

The answer is .315 RPS so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
yesiammanu said:

The Attempt at a Solution

1/2 mv^2 = 1/2 Iω^2
Energy is not conserved--there's an inelastic collision taking place.

But what is conserved?

Is linear momentum/angular momentum conserved? I thought you couldn't go between the two

yesiammanu said:
Is linear momentum/angular momentum conserved?
One is, one isn't. Which?
I thought you couldn't go between the two
What do you mean?

I'd assume linear momentum isn't conserved because the momentum absorbed would be redirected to the earth, but doesn't the bullet have no angular momentum? I tried to think of treating it as a tangential force but there's no acceleration

yesiammanu said:
I'd assume linear momentum isn't conserved because the momentum absorbed would be redirected to the earth,
Good.
but doesn't the bullet have no angular momentum?
Sure it does. L = r X p.

Since r is the vector position relative to the origin, it would be .25m (where the origin in the center of the wheel, and the radius is .25m) and the p would be linear momentum, m*v, .1kg * 50 m/s = 5 kg * m/s

It's a tangent so the ABsin(theta) is simply AB, and that would be (5 kg * m/s)(.25m) = 1.25 m^2/s

L= Iw, I is MR^2 for a thin cylindrical shell

1.25 m^2/s = (10.1 kg)(.25 m)^2 w
w = 1.98 rad/s
1.98 rad/s / 2pi = .315 rotations per second

Thanks for help.

1. How does a bullet striking a wheel determine its rotations per second?

When a bullet strikes a wheel, it imparts a rotational force on the wheel. This force causes the wheel to start spinning, and the number of rotations it makes in a given time period can be measured to determine its rotations per second.

2. What factors can affect the rotations per second of a wheel after being struck by a bullet?

The weight and velocity of the bullet, as well as the size and weight distribution of the wheel, can all affect the rotations per second. The surface the wheel is rolling on and any friction present can also impact the rotations per second.

3. Can the angle at which the bullet strikes the wheel affect the rotations per second?

Yes, the angle at which the bullet strikes the wheel can have a significant impact on the rotations per second. If the bullet strikes the wheel at a perpendicular angle, it will transfer more rotational force compared to a glancing angle.

4. How is the rotational speed of the wheel calculated after a bullet strike?

The rotational speed, or rotations per second, of the wheel can be calculated by dividing the number of rotations the wheel makes in a given time period by that time period. For example, if the wheel makes 10 rotations in 2 seconds, its rotational speed would be 5 rotations per second.

5. What are some real-world applications of studying bullet strikes on wheels and their rotations per second?

Studying bullet strikes on wheels and their rotations per second can have practical applications in ballistics and forensic science, as it can help determine the type of weapon used and the angle at which it was fired. It can also be used in the design and testing of wheels and other rotating objects, such as turbines and engines.