Graphing a standard quadratic equation?

In summary: The y-intercept is at c- b^2/4a.In summary, to graph a quadratic equation in the form ax^2+bx+c=0 or f(x)= (x+b/2a)^2 - (D/4a^2), you can use a graphics calculator or freeware graphing software like Graph or Microsoft Excel. If you want to sketch it by hand, you can find the roots and y-intercept and draw a smooth curve through those points. Alternatively, you can complete the square to find the vertex and y-intercept, which will give you enough information for a basic sketch. The general form of a quadratic is parabolic, so it should not be difficult to draw once you have
Kartik.
How do we graph a quadratic equation in the form ax^2+bx+c =0?, or an equation like , f(x)(or y)= [(x+b/2a)^2 - (D/4a^2)], where D = b^2 - 4ac? or how do we get a parabolic curve intersecting at its roots(of the quadratic equation) in the x axis?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Do you mean an equation of the form ax^2+bx+c =y? Anyway, in any case, you can make graphs quite easily on any graphics calculator, or you could also download some freeware graphing software. I used to use this program:

http://download.cnet.com/Graph/3000-2053_4-10063417.html

It is quite simple, but does a very good job for a freeware program. The other alternative would be to use Microsoft Excel which requires a series of points to which it can draw a smooth line.

Hmm re-reading your question, I'm thinking I may have misinterpreted it. Did you want to know how to sketch it by hand? If so, then you could do it quite easily by finding the roots (by factorizing or quadratic equation) and the y-intercept, and then just draw a smooth curve through the points. In the second form you have mentioned, you could recognize it as "turning point form" (from which the turning point can be read without any calculations) and then finding the y-intercept. This will give you enough for a basic rough sketch.

I think you can graph it yourself by determining the minima/maxima and the zeros of the function. The general form a quadratic takes is parabolic; so it should not be hard to draw it.

Assuming you want to graph the function [itex]y= ax^2+ bx+ c[/itex] (you don't graph a function- to graph you have to have at least two variables) I would start by completing the square:
[itex]y= a(x^2+ (b/a)x)+ c= a(x^2+ (b/a)x+ (b^2/4a^2)- (b^2/4a^2))+ c[/itex]
[itex]y= a(x^2+ (b/a)x+ (b^2/4a^2))+ c- (b^2/4a)= a(x+ b/2a)^2+ c- (b^2/4a)[/itex]

Now I know that the vertex is at (-b/2a, c- b^2/4a). If a> 0, the parabola opens upward, if a< 0, downward.

1. What is a standard quadratic equation?

A standard quadratic equation is an algebraic equation in the form of ax^2 + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable.

2. How do you graph a standard quadratic equation?

To graph a standard quadratic equation, you can plot points by substituting different values for x and solving for y. Another method is to use the vertex formula (-b/2a, c - b^2/4a) to find the coordinates of the vertex, and then plot the vertex and two other points on either side of it.

3. What is the significance of the vertex in a quadratic equation graph?

The vertex is the highest or lowest point on a quadratic graph, also known as the maximum or minimum point. It is significant because it represents the turning point of the graph and can provide information about the direction and shape of the parabola.

4. How do you determine the direction of a parabola on a graph?

The direction of a parabola on a graph is determined by the coefficient of the x^2 term in the standard quadratic equation. If the coefficient is positive, the parabola opens upwards, and if it is negative, the parabola opens downwards.

5. What is the axis of symmetry in a quadratic equation graph?

The axis of symmetry is a vertical line that divides a parabola into two equal halves. It passes through the vertex and is always perpendicular to the line of symmetry. The equation of the axis of symmetry is x = -b/2a, where a and b are the coefficients in the standard quadratic equation.