Exploring the Emergent Nature of Gravity in the Universe

• Thread starter WMan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Universe
In summary, the question of what the universe is made of if we remove all its contents is a complex and still unanswered one. Some theories suggest that space and time themselves may be fundamental components of the universe, while others propose that the universe is made of relationships or information. However, there is no comprehensive theory that can provide a definitive answer at this time.
WMan
Good Morning,

What is the universe made of?

To be more specific, i am talking about the framework of the universe, not its contents.

I.e. if you took away all the mass, energy, dark matter, etc... from the universe, then what would be left? What is the universe ITSELF made of? not the contents of the universe.

I suppose another way of looking at this would be, if you moved all the contents of the universe into one corner of it (all squished up), then what would be left in the rest of the universe? Would it exist? or would the size of the universe shrink to where the contents are? I.e. if there is no stuff in the universe (i.e. no contents) then does the universe exist?

Been puzzling me this morning.
Thanks for you help!

Mark

Space news on Phys.org
It is not possible to say what the universe is made of if we take away everything that occupies it. Perhaps there wouldn't even be a universe then.

As for cramming everything into one section of the universe, what would be left would be empty space. And before you ask, we don't know what space is made of, or even if it is made up of anything at all. In science we never talk about space itself without talking about fields, particles, forces, etc. Space is simply the background that everything moves and interacts upon.

Thanks Drakkith,
So if we removed all the pre-existing fields and forces as well as the particles, then would this remaining empty frame-work universe perform any forces on itself?
I.e. does an empty universe still create forces/fields? or do you need contents stuff for that? i.e. particles, or pre-existing forces/fields.
Mark

If you have removed everything, there is nothing to interact. No forces, no nothing. I don't know if you could even claim there was still a "universe" there or not.

Given your statement above:-
"Space is simply the background that everything moves and interacts upon"
this implies stuff (particles etc) require a framework to exist in.
the contrary doesn't seem to be well defined by modern physics, i.e.
does the framework require stuff in it, for it to exist?
Is there an official opinion about this in modern physics?
Mark

Don't take my simple explanation as a comprehensive discussion on the subject lol. I wish I knew a little more so I could explain it better, but I do not. Try this wikipedia article and see if it helps: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space

"What is the universe ITSELF made of? not the contents of the universe."

That question probably is meaningless, like "What is real?"
even "What is my dog made of ?"...but that doesn't make it a bad question.

In any case there is no comphrehensive theory that can provide a good answer to either. But we kind of understand what you are thinking about.
One answer which some theorists believe is "The universe is made of relationships." Others might say: 'The universe is pruely information based'. more below.
It seems humans are required for Space to exist...

did not read it..silly so I do not need to read it!

A more scientific perspective, but not complete:

[This suggests a bare minimum to get a universe started are an instability followed by degrees of freeom...but how much and what 'constitutents' you could remove might depend on the timing of the removal...]

my comments from a new paper by Padmanabhan:

...One can insert some ’hbar’s’ into the FLRW solution to Einstein’s classical theory of gravity to get equivalent statements in equal partition theory [a form of thermodynamic equilibrium] . “Interpreting gravitational field equations as emergent allows us to obtain the gravitational field equations by maximizing the entropy density of spacetime.” ...

...consider a pure de Sitter universe with a Hubble constant H. Such a universe obeys the holographic principle in the form Nsur = Nbulk The Eq. (29) represents the holographic equipartition and relates the effective degrees of freedom residing in the bulk, determined by the equipartition condition, to the degrees of freedom on the boundary surface. The dynamics of the pure de Sitter universe can thus be obtained directly from the holographic equipartition condition, taken as the starting point.

more in this thread: EMERGENT GRAVITY
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=3984153#post3984153

Last edited:

1. What is a "Universe with no contents"?

A "Universe with no contents" refers to a hypothetical scenario in which the entire universe is completely devoid of any matter or energy. In this scenario, there would be no stars, planets, galaxies, or any other forms of physical matter. It is a theoretical concept used in scientific discussions about the origins and structure of the universe.

2. Is a "Universe with no contents" possible?

While it is a theoretical concept, there is currently no evidence to suggest that a "Universe with no contents" is possible. The laws of physics suggest that matter and energy cannot be created or destroyed, so it is unlikely that the entire universe could be completely devoid of any contents.

3. How would a "Universe with no contents" affect our understanding of the universe?

A "Universe with no contents" would greatly challenge our current understanding of the universe and its origins. It would require a re-evaluation of the fundamental principles and theories that govern our understanding of the universe, such as the Big Bang theory and the laws of thermodynamics.

4. Could a "Universe with no contents" exist in another dimension?

Some theories in physics and cosmology propose the existence of multiple dimensions beyond the three dimensions of space and one dimension of time that we currently experience. It is possible that a "Universe with no contents" could exist in one of these dimensions, but it is purely speculative and has not been proven.

5. What are the potential implications of a "Universe with no contents"?

The implications of a "Universe with no contents" are vast and complex. It would challenge our understanding of the origins and structure of the universe, and could potentially lead to new discoveries and advancements in physics and cosmology. It could also have philosophical and existential implications for our understanding of our place in the universe and the meaning of existence.