Conical Pendulum, find tension, radial force, speed, period, and angular speed

In summary: So you can solve for ω.In summary, The metal sphere with a mass of 0.5kg is attached to a string and rotates in a horizontal circle with a radius of .2m. The tension in the string is 5.001N, and the radial force is 4.899N. The speed of the rotating mass is 1.3999m/s and it takes .8977 seconds to complete one rotation. The sphere's angular speed is ω = 2π/.8977 = 7.0103 rad/s.
LibGirl17

Homework Statement

A metal sphere is attached to the end of a string and then set in motion such that it rotates in a horizontal circle as shown in the sketch. The metal sphere has a mass of 0.5kg and the radius of the circle is .2m.

1)Find the tension in the string
2)Calculate the radial force
3)Determine the speed of the rotating mass
4)Determine how long it takes for the sphere to complete one rotation, i.e. determine its period
5)What is the sphere's angular speed in rad/seconds?

Homework Equations

Assuming the metal sphere is on the left side of the circle;
F_netx=Tcos(θ)=ma_x
F_nety=Tsin(θ)-mg=ma_y=0
θ(angle between x-axis and string)=arccos(.2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe I found everything except angular velocity, but the period I found also seems too short. Any input would be appreciated!
1)T=mg/sin(θ)=5.001N
2)Tsin(θ)=4.899N
3)Tsin(θ)=mv^2/r, 4.899=.5v^2/.2, v=1.3999
4)Δt=Δs/v=2∏(.2)/1.3999=.8977s
5)I know ω=dθ/dt, but I'm not sure what to do with this...

Attachments

• Conical Pendulum.jpg
    Conical Pendulum.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 2,008
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF LibGirl17!

LibGirl17 said:

Homework Statement

A metal sphere is attached to the end of a string and then set in motion such that it rotates in a horizontal circle as shown in the sketch. The metal sphere has a mass of 0.5kg and the radius of the circle is .2m.

1)Find the tension in the string
2)Calculate the radial force
3)Determine the speed of the rotating mass
4)Determine how long it takes for the sphere to complete one rotation, i.e. determine its period
5)What is the sphere's angular speed in rad/seconds?

Homework Equations

Assuming the metal sphere is on the left side of the circle;
F_netx=Tcos(θ)=ma_x
F_nety=Tsin(θ)-mg=ma_y=0

This looks good. It doesn't really matter where in the circle the sphere is. You can always resolve the tension into two components, the "vertical" component, and the "radially-inward" component (the component of the tension that points towards the centre of the circle). The latter lies in the plane of the circle and is thus "horizontal" (although its direction changes, this doesn't matter, because it is always radially-inward).

LibGirl17 said:
θ(angle between x-axis and string)=arccos(.2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe I found everything except angular velocity, but the period I found also seems too short. Any input would be appreciated!
1)T=mg/sin(θ)=5.001N
2)Tsin(θ)=4.899N

With a cone, you typically measure the angle from the vertical, in which case the horizontal component would have the sine factor, and the vertical component would have the cosine factor. I'm not sure where you're measuring the angle from here. EDIT: I see that you're using the angle from the horizontal, which means that the vertical component is Tsin(theta), and the horizontal component is Tcos(theta). That means you should use Tcos(theta) for the centripetal force below.

LibGirl17 said:
3)Tsin(θ)=mv^2/r, 4.899=.5v^2/.2, v=1.3999
4)Δt=Δs/v=2∏(.2)/1.3999=.8977s
5)I know ω=dθ/dt, but I'm not sure what to do with this...

This seems like the right general method. The radial component of the tension is equal to the centripetal force, so use that to solve for v.

As for the angular velocity: in this case, the rotation rate is constant, so it's also true that ω = Δθ/Δt. You know how long it takes the object to go through an angular displacement of Δθ = 2π radians (one full rotation), because you computed the period.

Last edited:

1. What is a conical pendulum?

A conical pendulum is a type of pendulum that swings in a circular motion instead of a back and forth motion. It is made up of a weight or bob attached to a string or rod that is suspended from a fixed point and swings in a vertical plane.

2. How do you find the tension in a conical pendulum?

The tension in a conical pendulum can be found using the equation T = mgcosθ, where T is the tension, m is the mass of the bob, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle between the string and the vertical axis.

3. What is the radial force in a conical pendulum?

The radial force in a conical pendulum is the force that acts towards the center of the circle. It is equal to the centripetal force, which is given by F = mv²/r, where m is the mass of the bob, v is the speed of the pendulum, and r is the radius of the circle.

4. How do you calculate the speed of a conical pendulum?

The speed of a conical pendulum can be calculated using the equation v = √(rgtanθ), where v is the speed, r is the radius of the circle, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle between the string and the vertical axis.

5. What is the period and angular speed of a conical pendulum?

The period of a conical pendulum is the time it takes for one complete revolution and is given by T = 2π√(r/gtanθ). The angular speed is the rate of change of the angle and is given by ω = √(g/r). Both the period and angular speed depend on the length of the string, the angle of inclination, and the acceleration due to gravity.