I dont understand how solubility product (Ksp) work?

In summary, the conversation discusses the Ksp value of AgCl and its relationship to the concentration of Ag+ and Cl- ions. It is mentioned that adding more Ag+ ions can cause precipitation of AgCl due to the ionic product being greater than Ksp. When adding more Ag+ ions, the concentration of Cl- ions decreases while the concentration of Ag+ ions must increase in order to maintain the Ksp value. This explains why the concentration of Ag+ ions did not decrease even though precipitation occurred.
aznking1
Suppose the Ksp value of AgCl is 2 x 10^-10.

Lets say we have a saturated solution of AgCl, i.e concentration of Ag+ ions = concentration of Cl+ions = (2 x 10^-10)^0.5=1.41 x 10^-5

Ok so what i know is that if we add more Ag+ ions in the solution, precipitation of AgCl would occur since ionic product is greater than Ksp.

So let's say we add Ag+ ions such that the concentration of Ag+ ions is now 2x10^-4 moldm^-3.

Here is the part i don't understand.

The remaining chloride concentration would be 2x10^-10 divided by 2x10^-4 mol = 1x10^-6 moldm^-3. My question is where did the chloride ions go? i know it has precipitated but it doesn't make sense since the concentration of Ag+ ions did not decrease?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Why would the concentration of Ag+ need to decrease? You have shown the Cl- concentration decreases from 1.41X10-5 to 1X10-6 so to maintain the Ksp product, Ag+1 must be higher.

1. What is solubility product (Ksp)?

Solubility product (Ksp) is a measure of the maximum concentration of a solute that can dissolve in a solvent at a given temperature. It is a constant value that depends on the solute and solvent, and is used to determine the solubility of a compound.

2. How do you calculate solubility product (Ksp)?

Solubility product (Ksp) is calculated by multiplying the molar concentrations of the ions in a saturated solution of a compound. For example, for the compound AB2, the Ksp would be [A]2[B], where [A] and [B] are the molar concentrations of the ions A and B, respectively.

3. What does a higher Ksp value indicate?

A higher Ksp value indicates that a compound is more soluble in a solvent. This means that at a given temperature, more of the compound can dissolve in the solvent without precipitating out.

4. How does temperature affect solubility product (Ksp)?

In most cases, an increase in temperature leads to an increase in solubility product (Ksp) because higher temperatures typically lead to higher solubility of compounds. However, there are some cases where the opposite is true, so it is important to consult a solubility table for specific compounds.

5. Can solubility product (Ksp) be used to predict the formation of a precipitate?

Yes, solubility product (Ksp) can be used to predict whether a precipitate will form when two solutions containing ions are mixed. If the product of the molar concentrations of the ions exceeds the Ksp value, a precipitate will form. If the product is less than the Ksp value, no precipitate will form.