Polarization of Light After Reflection from Surfaces

In summary, when linearly polarized light is reflected from a surface such as paper, it undergoes diffuse reflection and becomes scattered in all directions. However, it does not become randomly polarized as it maintains most of its polarization. This is why 3D cinema can use polarization effects with the use of a metallic scrim to maintain the polarization states. When the light is absorbed by a die or undergoes dichroism, optical rotation, or multiple reflection, the polarization may change. Research on rough surface scattering is ongoing, and books such as Ogilvy's can provide more information on the subject.
Ryker
I was wondering what happens with linearly polarized light when it is reflected from a surface such as paper? Since it undergoes diffuse reflection, it is scattered in all directions, but does it become randomly polarized, as well? I can't really find an answer to that anywhere, so I'd be grateful for any responses.

Science news on Phys.org
No, it keeps most of its polarization otherwise 3d cinema wouldn't work. But it is different when the photons get absorbed by a die for example, or when there is dichroism, optical rotation or multiple reflection.

It's true some 3-D cinema uses polarization effects- but those also require use of a metallic 'scrim', which is why the polarization states are maintained. Scattering off a rough dielectric will randomize the polarization.

Rough surface scattering is the subject of countless books and ongoing research- Ogilvy's book is a good place to start, if you can find a copy.

Thanks for the replies.
Andy Resnick said:
It's true some 3-D cinema uses polarization effects- but those also require use of a metallic 'scrim', which is why the polarization states are maintained. Scattering off a rough dielectric will randomize the polarization.
Yeah, this is what I heard today, as well. That diffuse reflection does randomize the polarization, but that if you have some metal coating, the polarization can be preserved. I was told that's why, like you said, 3D cinema can't just use any projection screen, but one with a metallic layer on top of it. So I guess paper randomizes polarization, while a mirror would preserve it, even if reflection was diffuse.

Thank you for your question. When linearly polarized light is reflected from a surface, such as paper, it undergoes a process known as diffuse reflection. This means that the light is scattered in all directions due to the roughness of the surface. As a result, the polarization of the light is altered.

In general, the reflected light will become partially polarized, meaning that it will have a mixture of both linearly polarized and unpolarized components. The degree of polarization will depend on the angle of incidence and the roughness of the surface.

In some cases, the reflected light may become completely unpolarized, especially if the surface is very rough. This is because the light is scattered in all directions, causing the polarization of the light to become randomized.

Overall, the polarization of light after reflection from a surface is a complex phenomenon that depends on various factors. It is not always easy to predict the exact polarization state of the reflected light, but it is safe to assume that it will be partially polarized or completely unpolarized, depending on the surface properties.

I hope this helps to answer your question. Thank you for your interest in this topic.

What is polarization of light after reflection from surfaces?

Polarization of light after reflection from surfaces refers to the phenomenon where light waves become aligned in a specific direction after reflecting off of a surface.

What causes polarization of light after reflection from surfaces?

The alignment of light waves after reflection is caused by the interaction between the light waves and the surface molecules. This interaction causes the light waves to become polarized in a specific direction.

How does polarization of light after reflection from surfaces affect the intensity of light?

Polarization of light after reflection from surfaces can affect the intensity of light by either increasing or decreasing it, depending on the angle of incidence and the properties of the surface. For example, a surface that reflects light waves in a specific direction can result in a decrease in the overall intensity of the reflected light.

Can polarization of light after reflection from surfaces be controlled?

Yes, polarization of light after reflection from surfaces can be controlled by using polarizing filters. These filters are designed to only allow light waves aligned in a specific direction to pass through, effectively controlling the polarization of the reflected light.

What are some practical applications of polarization of light after reflection from surfaces?

Polarization of light after reflection from surfaces has various practical applications, such as in glare reduction for sunglasses, enhancing contrast in photography, and in LCD screens to control the amount of light that passes through. It is also used in scientific research to study the properties of materials and surfaces.