It looks cooked, but comes with a warning

• Thread starter tribdog
  • Start date
In summary, there is little danger in eating raw seafood, but it's always a good idea to be safe and buy from a trusted source.
tribdog
I'm eating my favorite vice right now. ceviche, raw shrimp lime juice, onion, cucumber tomato and something spicy. Tastes really good, but they serve it with a warning about eating raw seafood. How dangerous is it really? is the reward worth the risk for most people. how about for me?

Physics news on Phys.org
tribdog said:
I'm eating my favorite vice right now. ceviche, raw shrimp lime juice, onion, cucumber tomato and something spicy. Tastes really good, but they serve it with a warning about eating raw seafood. How dangerous is it really? is the reward worth the risk for most people. how about for me?
No more dangerous than eating sushi. Raw chicken is more of a danger, probably why they don't make chicken sushi?

And to think I just wasted my time cooking shrimp when I could have eaten it raw. :rolleyes: If it was really dangerous, they wouldn't be allowed to serve it as food. Just make sure you bought it from a place you trust to be clean and to handle raw food properly. I love sushi, though never noticed a warning on it...hmm...in today's litigious society, I'm surprised there isn't one. Maybe it is there and I just eat it too quickly to pay attention to what's written on the packaging? Or else it's probably at the bottom of the menus somewhere and I just ignore it.

They made ceviche the other day on the Today Show. Looked really yummy, but they made it with crab meat, and it was cooked, because for whatever reason, that type of crab has to be cooked before it's even allowed to go to market. :confused: Makes you wonder where they're catching the crabs? :bugeye:

Basically, if you can smell the fishy smell of seafood, I wouldn't eat it raw, it's probably a bit old. If it doesn't have a smell, it's nice and fresh.

lol, trust. I've never used that word in connection with mexican food. or mexicans for that matter. my motto is "don't trust anyone who needs to take a nap during lunch."If I've offended anyone with that comment please reply, but tell me what time it is you are replying. I'll bet its no where between 12:00 and 3:00. lol. adios.

okay, I just went back to the Mexican restaurant to get more ceviche. they also had "shrimp cocktail" $12 for one person $20 for two people. being the penny pincher I am I ordered the two people size, and after being painfully reminded that I am only one person so I can't have the two people size, I finally convinced them that I had a second person waiting for me to bring them their half. I didn't open it until I got home and there is all sorts of weird stuff inside. oysters on the half shell (which I've never had before) and lots of octopus (which reminds me of gristle with suckers) this stuff definitely smells fishy, but I'm living dangerously.
ps two quick questions first. how can you tell the difference between oysters and loogies? how are you supposed to eat them?

tribdog said:
lol, trust. I've never used that word in connection with mexican food. or mexicans for that matter. my motto is "don't trust anyone who needs to take a nap during lunch."If I've offended anyone with that comment please reply, but tell me what time it is you are replying. I'll bet its no where between 12:00 and 3:00. lol. adios.

Actually - I think people would be more productive if they could take an afternoon siesta. Maybe not for 3 hours, but 1/2 to 1 hour would be nice. I've snuck some afternoon ZZZ's by going to a bathroom stall back in my suited days.

Didn't realize your "humor" masked such raging bigotry, btw.

juvenal said:
Actually - I think people would be more productive if they could take an afternoon siesta. Maybe not for 3 hours, but 1/2 to 1 hour would be nice. I've snuck some afternoon ZZZ's by going to a bathroom stall back in my suited days.

Didn't realize your "humor" masked such raging bigotry, btw.
lol, I'm 9/10ths spanish.

careful with those oysters! my step-dad actually got cholera from some raw oysters once!

Math Is Hard said:
careful with those oysters! my step-dad actually got cholera from some raw oysters once!
that's why I mikeywaved them

juvenal said:
I've snuck some afternoon ZZZ's by going to a bathroom stall back in my suited days.
You slept on a toilet?

lol, crazy mexicans. JUST KIDDING

Here is what you can get from raw seafood:
Symptoms of Vibrio parahaemolyticus: When ingested, V. parahaemolyticus causes watery diarrhea often with abdominal cramping, nausea, vomiting fever and chills. Usually these symptoms occur within 24 hours of ingestion. Illness is usually self-limited and lasts 3 days. Severe disease is rare and occurs more commonly in persons with weakened immune systems. V. parahaemolyticus can also cause an infection of the skin when an open wound is exposed to warm seawater.
I bet you would know if you got sick from raw seafood!

watery diarrhea? is there any other kind?
that cracked me up, but now that I've asked it I'm serious. is there any other kind?

Last edited:
I am unsure. But it seems to suggest there might be...

Norman said:
I am unsure. But it seems to suggest there might be...
maybe this should be moved to brain teasers.

tribdog said:
watery diarrhea? is there any other kind?

Maybe powdery??

But anyway, I've had sushi 3 times in the past 5 days. Today for lunch I went to a decent place that's all-you-can-eat (though we've scoped it out, everything is good, all made fresh). I love salmon, eel, yellowtail, tuna, and the rest. All soo good.

Does anyone know about possible mercury poisioning though? I heard that's an issue due to the high mercury content.

You have to worry about mercury usually from fish that are high on the food chain- salmon, shark, swordfish are the usual ones I have heard about but someone else might know a little more.

Tuna too, especially the fancy albacore stuff. Mostly need to be careful feeding it to children or pregnant women. Though, it depends on the source. Don't eat fish from the Great Lakes (at least I wouldn't if I knew that's where it came from). But, I like seafood, so I'm not giving it up anyway.

lets get back to the diarrhea, we have watery, powdery and I'm going to suggest "stringy?" what else?

tribdog said:
lol, I'm 9/10ths spanish.

Gotcha, dude.

Evo said:
You slept on a toilet?

Yeah. There was an article in the WSJ about this a few months back. Apparently I'm not the only one.

juvenal said:
Gotcha, dude.
I'm also 4/5ths liar

tribdog said:
lets get back to the diarrhea, we have watery, powdery and I'm going to suggest "stringy?" what else?
Soft stool. Anywhere from mushy to gooey to creamy. No stringy or powdery. Color can be interesting. Dysentery green is nice.

Raw like sushi

Evo said:
No more dangerous than eating sushi.
http://www.clevelandclinicmeded.com/diseasemanagement/infectiousdisease/foodborne/foodborne.htm

• Food-borne disease (FD) is a pervasive problem caused by consumption of contaminated food and drink. An estimated 76 million cases occur annually, resulting in 300,000 hospitalizations and 5,000 deaths. Far fewer cases are documented because of underreporting.

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~mow/sea-ill.html

• Bacterial Pathogens associated with raw and processed seafood
    • Salmonella spp.
    • Clostridium botulinum
    • Listeria monocytogenes
    • Vibrio cholerae O1
    • Vibrio cholerae non-Ol
    • Vibrio parahaemolyticus and other vibrios
    • Vibrio vulnificus
  • Parasites that are sometimes found in raw seafood
    • Anisakis sp. and related worms
    • Diphyllobothrium spp.
    • Nanophyetus spp.
    • Eustrongylides sp.
    • Acanthamoeba and other free-living amoebae
    • Ascaris lumbricoides and Trichuris trichiura
  • Viruses that sometimes contaminate raw seafood
    • Hepatitis A virus
    • Hepatitis E virus
    • Rotavirus
    • Norwalk virus group
    • Other viral agents
  • Natural Toxins that are sometimes found in seafood
    • Ciguatera poisoning
    • Shellfish toxins (PSP, DSP, NSP, ASP)
    • Scombroid
    • Tetrodotoxin (Pufferfish)

Last edited by a moderator:
crunchy would be horrible wouldn't it?
or itchy, ohh what about 'angry'
musical might be funny

eeww, wormy

Don't worry tribdog, we'll take you to the vet and get you dewormed.

You can sometimes tell if a dog has worms if it drags it's butt across the grass, or carpet. The worms make him itch and that's a good way to scratch it. trib, have you had any recent urges to drag your butt across the floor?

Evo said:
You can sometimes tell if a dog has worms if it drags it's butt across the grass, or carpet. The worms make him itch and that's a good way to scratch it. trib, have you had any recent urges to drag your butt across the floor?
not any more than usual
lol jk
I'm a bachelor...have you seen my carpet?

Evo said:

Only since he started chewing nicotine gum. :yuck:

did I mention how good this gum tastes?

Yeah, I think you mentioned that. So when someone bans cigarettes, we'll have gum fiends running around next, right?

I really should have gotten the patch.
I tried duct taping pieces of gum to my arm, but that doesn't seem to work

Moonbear said:
Tuna too, especially the fancy albacore stuff. Mostly need to be careful feeding it to children or pregnant women. Though, it depends on the source. Don't eat fish from the Great Lakes (at least I wouldn't if I knew that's where it came from). But, I like seafood, so I'm not giving it up anyway.

I grew up eating fish from the Great Lakes (I am from Green Bay originally) and in general it is ok. You do need to watch out if it becomes a staple of your diet though, but it wouldn't be any worse then eating the same amount of shark or salmon. As has already been said, children and women of child rearing age need to worry the most.