Ubuntu Install on new external hdd

In summary, the conversation discusses the installation of an OS on a new hard drive and the option of using multiple partitions. The individual mentions having issues booting from a flash drive and considering using Grub from the hard drive instead.
Taylor_1989
Just a quick question, will I have to partition the new hdd, to load the OS or will it be okay to install OS straight onto?

Computer science news on Phys.org
You can install on a single partition (besides swap). Ideally however you want 3/4 partitions. /Boot, /Data , /Home and one for swap.

having a problem booting Ubuntu from my drive. I didn't use the hdd in the end used a flash drive, 16GB. Mainly just want to try a few diff distribution before making a permanent decision. So I used the pendrive linux load on okay, but my laptop still won't boot from usb. I change the bios setting to boot from drive first, dose not seem to be detecting it. So is my only other option is to use grub from the drive with the Ubuntu correct or not?

What is Ubuntu and why would I want to install it on an external hard drive?

Ubuntu is a popular open-source operating system based on the Linux kernel. It offers a variety of features and benefits, such as being free to use and highly customizable. Installing it on an external hard drive allows you to have a portable and self-contained version of Ubuntu that can be used on any computer without affecting the existing operating system.

What do I need to install Ubuntu on an external hard drive?

You will need a few things to install Ubuntu on an external hard drive, including the Ubuntu ISO file, a bootable USB drive, and an external hard drive with enough storage space. You will also need access to a computer with an internet connection to download the necessary files and create the bootable USB drive.

Can I still use my external hard drive for storage after installing Ubuntu on it?

Yes, you can still use your external hard drive for storage after installing Ubuntu on it. However, it is important to note that the drive will be formatted during the installation process, so you will need to back up any important files beforehand. Additionally, you will need to allocate enough space for both the Ubuntu installation and any other files you want to store on the drive.

Is it possible to dual boot Ubuntu on an external hard drive with another operating system?

Yes, it is possible to dual boot Ubuntu on an external hard drive with another operating system, such as Windows or macOS. However, the process can be complex and may require some technical knowledge. It is important to carefully follow a guide or tutorial to ensure that both operating systems are installed correctly and can be accessed from the external hard drive.

Are there any potential drawbacks to installing Ubuntu on an external hard drive?

One potential drawback is that the performance of Ubuntu may be slower when running from an external hard drive compared to being installed directly on a computer's internal hard drive. This is because the external drive may have a slower read/write speed. Additionally, there may be compatibility issues with certain hardware or software when using Ubuntu from an external hard drive. It is important to research and consider these potential drawbacks before deciding to install Ubuntu on an external hard drive.