Understanding the 'ERR: Nonreal Ans' Error with Psi and Phi

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of powers of negative numbers in the real number system. It is explained that while expressions like (-1)^2 or (-1)^3 are defined, expressions with non-integer exponents such as (-1)^{1/2} or (-1)^\pi are not defined. This is in contrast to powers of positive numbers. It is mentioned that the complex number system can be used to define these types of expressions. Finally, it is suggested to use wolfram alpha to explore complex numbers and powers of negative numbers.
eric.l
I just had a question involving both psi and phi. I know that:

Ψ= (1-√5)/2 = -0.618033989...
Φ= (1+√5)/2 = 1.618033989...

And out of boredom, I decided to put into my calculator:
(Φ^Ψ) = 0.7427429446...

But my question rose from there: What happens if you do (Ψ^Φ)? I plugged it in and got ERR:Nonreal Ans and couldn't distinguish why that had happened. So, I went to my math teacher and he had no idea. I then went to my statistics teacher and he had said the only way he could see an error was some sort of correlation involving squaring a negative number, which may have some similarity with taking the square root of a negative number as well. To see if he was right, I tested:

(-√(5))^(√(5))

To get the same error. My question is, why does this happen and what exactly is this error?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Powers of negative numbers are not well-defined in the real number system.

Basically, we can make sense of [itex](-1)^2, ~(-1)^3[/itex] and others, but that is only for integer exponents!

Once we come to non-integer exponents, then things stop being defined. Things like [itex](-1)^{1/2}[/itex] or [itex](-1)^\pi[/itex] are not defined anymore. This is sharp contrast with powers of positive numbers!

Of course, it is possible to extend the real number system to define expressions such as the above. This extension is called the complex number system. Things like [itex](-1)^{1/2}[/itex], [itex](-1)^\pi[/itex] or [itex](-\sqrt{5})^{\sqrt{5}}[/itex] are defined there. They are complex numbers, but not imaginary.

If you want to play around with complex numbers and powers of negative numbers, you can always check wolfram alpha.

micromass said:
Powers of negative numbers are not well-defined in the real number system.

Basically, we can make sense of [itex](-1)^2, ~(-1)^3[/itex] and others, but that is only for integer exponents!

Once we come to non-integer exponents, then things stop being defined. Things like [itex](-1)^{1/2}[/itex] or [itex](-1)^\pi[/itex] are not defined anymore. This is sharp contrast with powers of positive numbers!

Of course, it is possible to extend the real number system to define expressions such as the above. This extension is called the complex number system. Things like [itex](-1)^{1/2}[/itex], [itex](-1)^\pi[/itex] or [itex](-\sqrt{5})^{\sqrt{5}}[/itex] are defined there. They are complex numbers, but not imaginary.

If you want to play around with complex numbers and powers of negative numbers, you can always check wolfram alpha.

Definitely makes more sense with an explanation rather than a simple inference, thank you so much!

What does the 'ERR: Nonreal Ans' error mean?

The 'ERR: Nonreal Ans' error is an error message that appears on certain scientific calculators, specifically those using Psi (Ψ) and Phi (Φ) functions. It indicates that the calculation performed resulted in a non-real answer, meaning that the answer is not a real number. This can happen when the input values are not within the appropriate range for the function being used, or when the function is undefined for the given input.

What causes the 'ERR: Nonreal Ans' error?

As mentioned, the 'ERR: Nonreal Ans' error can be caused by input values that are outside the appropriate range or when the function is undefined for the given input. It can also be caused by errors in input formatting, such as missing parentheses or incorrect use of operators. In some cases, the error may also be caused by a malfunctioning calculator.

How can I fix the 'ERR: Nonreal Ans' error?

To fix the 'ERR: Nonreal Ans' error, first check that the input values are within the appropriate range for the function being used. If necessary, adjust the input values or use a different function. Next, double check that the input formatting is correct and that all parentheses and operators are used correctly. If the error persists, try resetting the calculator or using a different calculator.

Can I prevent the 'ERR: Nonreal Ans' error from occurring?

To prevent the 'ERR: Nonreal Ans' error, make sure to always use the appropriate function for the type of calculation you are performing. Also, be mindful of the input values and ensure they are within the appropriate range. Double check input formatting and use parentheses when necessary. If possible, use a calculator with a larger range of functions to avoid encountering the error.

Is the 'ERR: Nonreal Ans' error always a problem?

No, the 'ERR: Nonreal Ans' error is not always a problem. In some cases, it may be expected and simply indicates that the answer is not a real number. For example, when using the inverse of a trigonometric function, the result may be a non-real number. In this case, the error message can be ignored as it is not a true error.