Last hope = this forum (Math Physics Calc C)

In summary, the person was stuck on problems 1A, 2, and 3. They were able to solve 1A, 2, and 3. They were still uneasy about problems 4 and 5 and were seeking help. They were able to solve problem 4. They were still Unsure about problem 5 and were seeking help.
Fox
Alright, it's 1:42 am here on the East Coast... I've been working on a set of problems for my Math Physics class for the whole weekend. Four have got me stuck and well, I really need to get them done in order to pass this class (I'm not doing so hot) Thing is, all this is Calc C, and I haven't taken Calc C. I'm just praying you guys can help.

1A. Find the volume of the region bounded by the parabolic cylinder z=4-x^2 and the planes x=0, y=6, y=0, and z=0. Use rectangular coordinates. Make an accurate sketch of the geometry involved.
B. Find the coordinates of the centroid of the above volume.

Where I got stuck here: Well, I know I have to intergrate something, but what? And how many times? I'm not used to 3d geometry.

2. Calculate the moment of inertia, I(z), of that portion of the ellipsoid with surface x^2 + y^2 + z = 4, lying above the plane z=0, with mass density ρ = (1-r^(-2)). Use cylindrical coordinates.

Where I got stuck here: I know was moment of inertia is, that isn't that bad. Just what's a ellipsoid and how the heck do I use cylindrical coordinates?

3. Give that x = r cos φ sin θ , y = r sin θ sin φ , and z = r cos θ , derive the expression for the Jacobian of the transformation from the varibles x, y, & z to r, θ, and φ by Jacobi's method.

What went wrong here: I don't know Jacobi's method and looking it up on the internet didn't help any... and yes I tried MathWorld. :)

4. Calculate the electric potential at the point x = 4 meters, y = 8 meters due to a linear charge density along a rod located between z' = 0 and z' = b = 10 meters. The charge density is 2+(z')^2 C/m. Work out the solution in terms of the variables. Substitute the values of x, y, and b only at the end.

What went wrong here: I know electric potential, that isn't hard. but the 3d geometry is screwing me over again :(

Honestly, thank you thank you thank you for ANY and all help :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm, I was myself in a similar position; doing multi-variable calc in physics before math (I think it is better that way anyway).

1A. Draw three coordinate axis and think of z = 4-x^2. This does not depend on y, so at every y = constant plane there will be a parabola centered around z. Hence the name cylinder. Surely you can imagine the x=0, y=6, y=0, and z=0 planes if you put in the effort. Here is the integral you need:

[tex] V = \int_V dv = \int_V dx dy dz = \int_0 ^6 \int_0 ^p \int_0 ^{4 -x^2} dy dx dz [/tex]

Where p is some kind of x limit of integration (bounded by the plane x = 0 and what?).

These are some fairly weighty exercises, and there is only one way that you can get through them: genuine mental effort. It does no good to go through the motions, playing with calculus notation; you are going to have to think very hard about spatial shapes and Reimann sums.

Last edited:
I have solved 1A, 2, and 3.

1A. No problem once I got my geometery striaght and with a special thanks to Crosson :)

2. I pulled myself together and just dove head in again after taking a break... (on two I got a negative inertia... umm... I don't remember if that's possible?)

3. Easy once I actually found out what the hell a Jacobian was.

solved 1b now too...

still uneasy about negative interia and I check my work as best as I could. I'm stuck on #4 I know I have to use V = (k dq)/r Now I replace dq with lambda d(?)

can anyone fill in the question mark? And what do I expand "r" out to be? I could do this problem if it was two dimensional... :(

1. What is the purpose of "Last hope = this forum"?

The purpose of "Last hope = this forum" is to provide a platform for individuals to discuss and seek help with topics related to math, physics, calculus, and computer science. It serves as a resource for students, educators, and professionals to share knowledge, ask questions, and collaborate on problem-solving.

2. Are there any specific guidelines for posting on this forum?

Yes, there are guidelines for posting on this forum. Users are expected to be respectful, use proper grammar and spelling, provide clear and concise descriptions of their questions or problems, and avoid posting irrelevant or spam content. Additionally, all discussions should be related to the topics of math, physics, calculus, and computer science.

3. Can anyone join "Last hope = this forum" or is it exclusively for experts?

Anyone with an interest in math, physics, calculus, or computer science is welcome to join "Last hope = this forum". While there may be experts who participate in discussions, the forum is open to individuals of all levels of knowledge and expertise.

4. How can I contribute to "Last hope = this forum"?

There are several ways to contribute to "Last hope = this forum". You can share your knowledge by answering questions, offer insights and explanations, and engage in discussions. You can also help by reporting any inappropriate content or behavior and following the guidelines for posting.

5. Is there a way to search for specific topics or questions on "Last hope = this forum"?

Yes, there is a search function on "Last hope = this forum" that allows you to search for specific topics or questions. You can enter keywords or phrases related to your search and filter the results by category, date, or relevance. This can help you find relevant discussions and information more efficiently.