Chemical equilibrium reaction for burned gases in engine

In summary, a chemical equilibrium reaction occurs when the rate of the forward reaction is equal to the rate of the reverse reaction, resulting in a dynamic balance between the products and reactants. In an engine, the burned gases undergo a chemical equilibrium reaction as they combine with oxygen to form carbon dioxide and water vapor. This reaction is constantly taking place, resulting in a steady state of products and reactants. According to Le Chatelier's principle, an increase in temperature will shift the equilibrium towards the endothermic reaction (reactants) in an exothermic reaction (products). This means that increasing the temperature in an engine will result in a higher concentration of reactants, leading to a more efficient combustion process. A catalyst can increase the rate of
marellasunny
I do not understand how equation(3) occurs.(taken from the book Internal Combustion Engines by John B.Heywood)
$$ $$
Consider a reactive mixture of ideal gases. The reactant species [itex] M_a,M_b [/itex] etc.and the product species [itex]M_l,M_m[/itex] etc. are related by the general reaction whose stoichiometry is given by:
$$\upsilon _aM_a+\upsilon _bM_b+...=\upsilon _lM_l+\upsilon _mM_m+...$$

This can be otherwise written as:
$$ \sum_{i}\upsilon _iM_i=0$$
where the [itex]\upsilon _i[/itex] are the stoichiometric coefficients and by convention are positive for the product species and negative for the reactant species.

Let [itex]\delta n_a[/itex] of [itex]M_a[/itex] react with [itex]\delta n_b[/itex] of [itex]M_b[/itex],etc. and produce [itex]\delta n_l[/itex] of [itex]M_l[/itex],[itex]\delta n_m[/itex] of [itex]M_m[/itex],etc.. These amounts are in proportion,given by the equation (3):

(3) $$\delta n_i=\upsilon _i\delta n$$

1.*Does [itex]\delta n[/itex] here signify 'extent of reaction'?*

2.*I would eventually like to use the number of moles of each species in expressing the chemical potential,with the gibbs free energy already known. But,the part I don't understant is equation 3. What does the author mean by proportional? Could you give a example?*

Gibbs free energy is given as:
$$(\Delta G)_(pressure,temper_)=\sum_{i}\mu _i\delta n_i$$

which by equation(3) can be re-written as(WHY??):

$$(\Delta G)_(pressure,temper_)=\sum_{i}\mu _i\nu _i\delta n$$

Engineering news on Phys.org
1.*Does \delta n here signify 'extent of reaction'?*Yes, \delta n here signifies the 'extent of reaction', which is the amount of reactants or products that has reacted. 2.*I would eventually like to use the number of moles of each species in expressing the chemical potential,with the gibbs free energy already known. But,the part I don't understant is equation 3. What does the author mean by proportional? Could you give a example?*Equation 3 states that the amounts of the reactants and products are proportional to their respective stoichiometric coefficients (\upsilon _i). For example, if we have the reaction A + B -> C + D, with stoichiometric coefficients \upsilon _A = -1, \upsilon _B = -1, \upsilon _C = 1, and \upsilon _D = 1. This means that for every molecule of A, one molecule of B must be consumed, and for every molecule of B, one molecule of A must be consumed. Additionally, for every molecule of A and B consumed, one molecule of C and D will be produced. So, if we have \delta n of A and B reacted, then we will have \delta n of C and D produced.

What is a chemical equilibrium reaction?

A chemical equilibrium reaction occurs when the rate of the forward reaction is equal to the rate of the reverse reaction, resulting in a dynamic balance between the products and reactants.

How does a chemical equilibrium reaction apply to burned gases in an engine?

In an engine, the burned gases undergo a chemical equilibrium reaction as they combine with oxygen to form carbon dioxide and water vapor. This reaction is constantly taking place, resulting in a steady state of products and reactants.

How does temperature affect a chemical equilibrium reaction in an engine?

According to Le Chatelier's principle, an increase in temperature will shift the equilibrium towards the endothermic reaction (reactants) in an exothermic reaction (products). This means that increasing the temperature in an engine will result in a higher concentration of reactants, leading to a more efficient combustion process.

How does a catalyst affect a chemical equilibrium reaction in an engine?

A catalyst is a substance that speeds up the rate of a reaction without being consumed in the process. In an engine, a catalyst can increase the rate of the chemical equilibrium reaction by lowering the activation energy required for the reaction to occur. This results in a more efficient and complete combustion process.

Can the chemical equilibrium reaction in an engine be altered to improve engine performance?

Yes, the chemical equilibrium reaction in an engine can be altered by adjusting the ratio of oxygen to fuel. This can be achieved through various methods such as adjusting the air-to-fuel ratio, using different fuel blends, or implementing technologies such as turbochargers or direct injection. These alterations can improve engine performance by increasing the efficiency and power output of the engine.