OP-Amp connected with Transistor whose Base and Collector are short

In summary, the problem involves analyzing a circuit with two transistors and an operational amplifier. The goal is to find the output voltage, Vo, as a function of the input voltage, Vi. The first transistor must be forward biased with a voltage drop of 0.7 volts, and the second transistor's voltage drop depends on Vi. If the second transistor is forward biased, the circuit is open and Vo2 becomes 0 volts. The final answer is that Vo = 0 when Vi < 0 and Vo = 12 when Vi > 0.
darkxponent

Homework Statement

Problem number 6a in the picture.
lic2.jpg

Homework Equations

Transistor:
Ic = βIb

Ic = αIe

Ic = Is*e^(Vbe/nVt)

OP-Amp:

Vo = Acl*Vi

Acl = 1 + (Rf/Ri)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to solve but just couldn't understand the behavior the transistor.

Physics news on Phys.org
First, find Vo1.

Then find Vo.

Note that Q1 and Q2 behave like p-n junction diodes.

I tried that.
Now Q1 must be forward biased so that the constant current Iref flows through Q1 and the voltage drop across Q1 is 0.7 Volts that is

Vbe1 =.7 Volts

Vo1 = Vi*(R4/R4+R3) - .7

Now what will be the behavior of transistor Q2? The Voltage across it depends on Vi

Vbe2 = .7 - Vi*(R4/R4+R3)

So how can i take diode 2 as forward or reverse biased without knowing Vi?

If the diode 2 is forward biased then where does the current go at NODE Vo1. Does it go into the OP-Amp1?

Taking the Diode 2 reverse biased the circuit is open and Vo2 becomes 0 Volts

PS: I don't have a camera right now or i could have shown you the full attempt.

darkxponent said:
I tried that.
Now Q1 must be forward biased so that the constant current Iref flows through Q1 and the voltage drop across Q1 is 0.7 Volts that is

Vbe1 =.7 Volts

Vo1 = Vi*(R4/R4+R3) - .7

Now what will be the behavior of transistor Q2? The Voltage across it depends on Vi

Vbe2 = .7 - Vi*(R4/R4+R3)

So how can i take diode 2 as forward or reverse biased without knowing Vi?
You can't!
If the diode 2 is forward biased then where does the current go at NODE Vo1. Does it go into the OP-Amp1?
What current? Vo1 sinks currents from both diodes. Obviously, all net diode current has to go into op amp 1's output.

Q1 current is always = I_ref.
Taking the Diode 2 reverse biased the circuit is open and Vo2 becomes 0 Volts

That is correct.

Hint: You got Vo1 right.

This circuit is a Rube Goldberg comparator. The output Vo tells you whether the input is above or below a certain threshold voltage. What is the correspondence between input voltage and output voltage? Vo is one voltage when Vin is < threshold and another when Vin > threshold.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1 person
Thanks for help. Now tell me is this the answer

1) When Vi < .7*(R4 + R3)/R4, Vo = 0 Volts

2) When Vi > .7*(R4 + R3)/R4, Vo = R3*Is*e^((.7 - Vi*(R4/R4+R3))/nVt)

darkxponent said:
Thanks for help. Now tell me is this the answer

1) When Vi < .7*(R4 + R3)/R4, Vo = 0 Volts

2) When Vi > .7*(R4 + R3)/R4, Vo = R3*Is*e^((.7 - Vi*(R4/R4+R3))/nVt)

'Fraid not.

First, what is Vo1 as a function of Vi?

Second question, what happens if Vo1 is < -0.7V or > -0.7V?

BTW your expression for Vo must be compared to the saturation output voltage. Your op amp can't go more positive than a certain voltage, say +12V for a 741 op amp running on +/- 15V supplies. This applies to terms like your Vo = R3*Is*e^((.7 - Vi*(R4/R4+R3))/nVt) which might be correct if your op amp had no saturation limit.

rude man said:
First, what is Vo1 as a function of Vi?

Vo1 = Vi*(R4/R4+R3) - .7

rude man said:
Second question, what happens if Vo1 is < -0.7V or > -0.7V?

1) Vo1> -.7 that is Vi > 0, Vo = 0 Volts

2) Vo1 < -.7, Vi < 0

In this case the diode would be forward biased and second op-amp would behave as a negative comparator and then op amp will saturate at positive saturation voltage that is 12 volts.
Is this the right answer?

darkxponent said:
Vo1 = Vi*(R4/R4+R3) - .7

1) Vo1> -.7 that is Vi > 0, Vo = 0 Volts

2) Vo1 < -.7, Vi < 0

In this case the diode would be forward biased and second op-amp would behave as a negative comparator and then op amp will saturate at positive saturation voltage that is 12 volts.
Is this the right answer?

Absolutely correct. Good work!

1. How does an OP-Amp connected with a Transistor work?

When an OP-Amp is connected to a transistor with the base and collector shorted, it creates a voltage follower circuit. This means that the output voltage will follow the input voltage, providing a high input impedance and a low output impedance. This configuration is commonly used to isolate a load from the signal source.

2. What are the advantages of using an OP-Amp connected with a Transistor?

Using an OP-Amp connected with a transistor allows for increased current and voltage capabilities, as well as improved linearity and lower distortion. It also provides isolation between the signal source and load, preventing signal degradation and reducing noise.

3. How do I select the appropriate OP-Amp and Transistor for my circuit?

When selecting an OP-Amp and transistor for this configuration, it is important to consider the required voltage and current ratings, as well as the desired gain and bandwidth. It is also important to ensure that the input and output impedances of the OP-Amp and transistor are compatible with the rest of the circuit.

4. Can I use any type of transistor for this configuration?

No, not all transistors are suitable for this configuration. It is important to choose a transistor with a high current gain, which is typically found in NPN transistors. Additionally, the transistor should have a high breakdown voltage and low output capacitance to prevent signal degradation.

5. What are some common applications of an OP-Amp connected with a Transistor?

This configuration is commonly used in audio amplifiers, power supplies, and motor control circuits. It can also be used in instrumentation and measurement circuits to isolate sensitive sensors from the rest of the circuit. Additionally, it can be used in signal buffering and impedance matching applications.