Problem - Embedded System Design

In summary, the conversation discusses how to program the contents of an OTP-ROM and connect it to a microprocessor and memory chips. The solution provided received a low score due to incorrect connections and lack of solved memory contents. The recommended approach is to start by drawing out a memory map and determining the address range for each memory part and what needs to be programmed into the decode ROM.
jokunen

Homework Statement

Your embedded system has an 8-bit microprocessor, which has a 16-bit address bus. In addition, you have a 32-Kbyte FLASH chip, and a 8 KByte RAM chip. You want to locate the FLASH chip right in the beginning of the address space and the RAM at the end of the address space. All the memory chips have a single /CS selection line, which is controlled by a fast 32 x 8 OTP-ROM chip.

What are you going to program into the contents of the OTP-ROM, and how do you connect it to the microprocessor and the memory chips?

I got only 1.5p out of 6 points by using a solution similar to the picture I attached. The prof told me the following:

"you got one point for the correct OTP-ROM circuit outputs connection and ½ points for connecting address lines a15 and a14 to OTP-ROM circuit. Other than that, the connection was wrong, and the contents of memory were not given/solved at all."

Please help me in this problem. Any advices are appreciated.

From where should I start? And what I should program into the opt-rom? A 32x8 matrix full of ones and zeros?

Homework Equations

block diagram of the opt-rom (see the below.):

http://oi42.tinypic.com/2m8605v.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

my (wrong) solution:

http://oi44.tinypic.com/13zxwdc.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd recommend starting by drawing out the memory map for the external memory circuit. Show the address range for each memory part, and show what that means for what has to go into the decode ROM.

1. What is an embedded system?

An embedded system is a combination of hardware and software designed to perform a specific function within a larger system. It is typically small in size, low in power consumption, and has limited resources compared to a general-purpose computer.

2. What are the challenges in embedded system design?

The main challenges in embedded system design include managing limited resources, optimizing performance and power consumption, ensuring real-time responsiveness, and dealing with complex system integration and compatibility issues.

3. How do you choose the right processor for an embedded system?

The choice of processor for an embedded system depends on several factors such as the required processing power, memory requirements, power consumption constraints, and cost. A thorough analysis of these factors is necessary to select the most suitable processor for a specific embedded system design.

4. What are the key components of an embedded system?

The key components of an embedded system include a microcontroller or microprocessor, memory, input/output interfaces, and various sensors and actuators. Additional components such as power management units, communication modules, and user interfaces may also be present depending on the specific application.

5. How do you test and debug an embedded system?

Testing and debugging an embedded system can be challenging due to limited resources and real-time constraints. Various techniques such as simulation, emulation, and in-circuit debugging can be used to identify and fix errors in the software and hardware components of an embedded system.