Solve Can't Post Smilies Problem on Windows XP

• Thread starter Adrian Baker
  • Start date
In summary, if you use Firefox and have Adblock installed, you won't be able to use smileys on this site.
Adrian Baker
Can't post smilies...

Sorry for double posting, but I put this up on the Software forum and got no reply:

I'm puzzled. Just a small problem, but an annoying one. On my desktop PC I can post messages, add smilies, attach documents, whatever to this website.

However, on my laptop, I can post messages and attach documents, but NOTHING else works - no tags, no smilies, no links, nothing!

On both computers I use Mozilla Firefox 1.0.4. In the little box at the bottom of the page it says 'smilies are on'.

I don't care TOO much about smilies, but why on Earth could this be? What setting do I have on my laptop, but not on my desktop? (Both on Windows XP)

Anyone??

Physics news on Phys.org
I have the same problem. If I click any of the formatting buttons on the reply page, they don't work. I assume its a problem with my computer rather than the forum, so I just type in the code for smileys & formatting myself.

Are your javascript settings different or have different security software installed that might restrict the message functions?

Try refreshing the page (it worked for me)

Greg Bernhardt said:
Are your javascript settings different or have different security software installed that might restrict the message functions?

Not that I know of - No. Anything particular I should look for?
:confused:

:biggrin: (I'm on my desktop now!)

Last edited:
Hmm, odd this.

I've just booted up Internet Explorer, and the smilies work if I visit PF using that.
:biggrin: see!

But with Mozilla Firefox I cant! However, my desktop uses the same version of Mozilla Firefox, and smilies and text formatting all work on that.

Any Firefox experts out there?

Ok, I've solved it!

:biggrin: :biggrin:

I use Adblock with Mozilla (another great reason to say goodbye to IE) and when I cleared all the ads from this site, I removed the script that allows smileys too!

I've now 'un-erased' this and everything works fine even text formatting.

I thought I'd report back in case others have the same problem - Adblock is THE most popular plug-in with Mozilla.

b-b-ut...IE is the b-b-estt...:cry:

1. Why can't I post smilies on Windows XP?

There are a few possible reasons why you may be experiencing difficulty posting smilies on Windows XP. It could be due to a compatibility issue with your browser or the website you are trying to post on. It could also be caused by a software or system error on your computer.

2. How can I fix the smilies problem on Windows XP?

First, try clearing your browser's cache and cookies and restarting your browser. If that doesn't work, make sure your browser and Windows XP are up to date. You may also need to update your software or drivers. If the problem persists, try using a different browser or contacting the website for assistance.

3. Can I still use smilies on Windows XP?

Yes, you should still be able to use smilies on Windows XP, but you may need to troubleshoot any issues you are experiencing. As mentioned before, updating your software and drivers and using a different browser may help resolve the problem.

4. Is there a specific browser that works best for posting smilies on Windows XP?

No, there is no specific browser that works best for posting smilies on Windows XP. However, some browsers may have better compatibility with certain websites, so it may be helpful to try using a different browser if you are having trouble with one.

5. Why is this problem specific to Windows XP?

Windows XP is an older operating system, and many software and websites are no longer compatible with it. As a result, you may experience issues with certain features, such as posting smilies. It is recommended to upgrade to a newer operating system to avoid compatibility issues in the future.