Earth's Atmosphere: Temperature, Pressure & Density FAQs

• Thread starter Serj
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Atmosphere
In summary, the conversation discusses the search for graphs related to temperature, density, and pressure of the atmosphere at different altitudes, particularly in the thermosphere. The first link provided is a helpful graph, but the discussion also touches on the ozone hole and its appearance in the polar regions due to lack of sunlight and subsequent depletion of ozone. The conversation also briefly mentions the possibility of creating ozone from rust and the role of ozone in cooling the planet.
Serj
I am searching for graphs to answer te following questions but I cannot find it on the internet. What is the temperature, density ,and pressure of the atmosphere as altitude changes? What is the temperature of the thermosphere at night?

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/atmosphere/atmosphere/layers.gif

That sort of graph comes up quite frequently in textbooks I've seen. I hope it answers your questions.
I'm not at all sure about daily variations in temperature at high altitude, but I would imagine that they would be less varied than those on the suface, being that they are not influenced by air masses, differential heating of land and sea etc. I may be wrong however.

That's an excellent graph to help with the first question but for the second the x-axis isn't big enough for the thermosphere, which gets hotter than 1500-o C in the daytime but still 500-o C at night. The density is always decreasing as you go higher unlike the confusing temps that change so therefore when you go to the thermosphere/ionosphere there's so few particles that they don't have to share much and they all get first dibs on a buffet of solar energy giving them high temps, but since there aren't many they don't transfer much heat and so you would be very cold..

www.ess.washington.edu/Space/ESS205/upperatmweb.pdf

http://www.ace.mmu.ac.uk/eae/Atmosphere/Older/Temperature.html

Last edited by a moderator:
The hole of ozone

I would like to ask why the ozone hole is in the pole.
Is it due to the electromagnetic field "movements" of the earth?
Because is due to this electromegnetic field that the atmosphere protect us from the cosmic rays but this protection is rather small in the poles (is this true?).

Thanks in advance: NSCerqueira

ozon is produced by Ultra violet light of the sun but it's also dissociated by normal light or due to chemical reactions. This gives a balanced reaction

Now in wintertime the pole area is dark, no direct sunlight and consequently, getting absolutely no utraviolet light, since that's all absorbed in the atmosphere or on the surface. Consequently the production of ozone stops completely. The decompostion of ozone continues, business as usual, since the chemicals are still there and some light reflected from the Earth will still pass along the polar area.

So what's happening to a mill, with no production and a lot of trade? Stock depletes in no time. That's why there are holes in the ozone layer. No production, plenty of trade.

But it's also natural.

Thanks for the reply. But the ozone hole only appears in the north pole isn't? But during the summer in the north hemisphere, the south pole doesn't have any sun light like in the winter in the north pole. Therefore the ozone hole should also appear in that region ?

Logical thinking gets rewarded. :approve:

Here is your http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/stratosphere/tovsto/archive/anim/970901-971018.sp.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
It might be possible to create ozone from rust (ferric oxide) with more advanced technology, similar to electrolysis. Ozone is important because it cools the planet.

Last edited:
Uhm... did I miss something? Where does the ferrous oxide come in?

Ozone cools the planet? To what extent? How?

1. What factors affect the temperature of Earth's atmosphere?

The temperature of Earth's atmosphere is affected by a variety of factors, including the amount of sunlight that reaches the Earth's surface, the Earth's tilt and rotation, the composition of the atmosphere, and the presence of greenhouse gases. Human activities, such as burning fossil fuels, can also contribute to changes in the Earth's atmospheric temperature.

2. How does pressure change with altitude in Earth's atmosphere?

As altitude increases, the pressure in Earth's atmosphere decreases. This is because the weight of the air above decreases with increasing altitude. At sea level, the average atmospheric pressure is about 14.7 pounds per square inch (psi). As you move higher in the atmosphere, the pressure decreases, and at the top of the atmosphere (exosphere), the pressure is close to 0 psi.

3. What is the relationship between temperature and density in Earth's atmosphere?

The density of Earth's atmosphere is directly related to its temperature. As the temperature of the atmosphere increases, the air molecules move faster and spread out, resulting in a decrease in density. Conversely, as the temperature decreases, the air molecules slow down and become more closely packed, increasing the density of the atmosphere.

4. How do variations in Earth's atmospheric temperature, pressure, and density affect weather patterns?

The Earth's atmospheric temperature, pressure, and density are all closely related and work together to influence weather patterns. Variations in these factors can lead to changes in wind patterns, precipitation, and the formation of weather systems such as hurricanes and tornadoes. Changes in temperature, pressure, and density can also affect the Earth's climate over long periods of time.

5. How do humans impact the temperature, pressure, and density of Earth's atmosphere?

Human activities, such as burning fossil fuels, deforestation, and industrial processes, can contribute to changes in the Earth's atmospheric temperature, pressure, and density. These activities release greenhouse gases into the atmosphere, which can trap heat and lead to increases in temperature. Changes in land use can also affect atmospheric pressure and density by altering the distribution of heat and moisture in the atmosphere.