Solving Wave & Optics Questions - Help Needed

In summary: I'm just trying to do it the hard way ;)In summary, the wave has a height of 0.5 meters, a wavelength of 555 nm, and a frequency of 3.14 kHz. The wave is traveling in the +x direction.
GingerFish
hey guys i have two questions that i wouldn't mind some help on !

firstly
a wave in the form (in meters) of y = 0.5sin(4(pi)t+0.5(pi)x) where t and x are time and space co-ordinates in seconds and meters

find the wave length amplitude frequency and speed of the wave.
is the wave traveling in the +x or -x direction?

and

a hand glider is flying at an altitude of h=125m, green light of wavelength 555nm enters the pilots eye through a pupil that has a diameter D = 2.5mm. the average index of refraction of the material in the eye is n = 1.36.
Determine how far aprt two point objects must be on the ground if the pilot is to have any hope of distinguishing them.

any help will be great!

thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Gingerfish.

I guess you could just look into your book and see how you can get the speed of the wave, the wavelength and so on.

I usually don't remember all these relations, but you can recover them easily from the formula.
To know the wavelength, imagine taking a snapshot of the wave at a certain instant and then measure the length of one complete period. That is the wavelength. So just put t=0, x=0 ([itex]\sin(0)[/itex])and see how far to the right you have to go to finish one complete revolution (at [itex]\sin(2\pi)[/itex]).
You can do a similar thing for the period of revolution (which is easily related to the frequency).
I`m sure you can find the amplitude. If not, read your book.

thanks

thanks man I'm working at it, but i don't have any of the course notes at the moment and they havn't been uploaded to the university web space yet

so i don't have any of the formula's handy and i don't know them off by heart

i wouldn't post if i could just look it up, i couldn'd fins anything helpful with google

i'm not lazy!

1. How do I approach solving wave and optics questions?

When approaching wave and optics questions, it is important to first understand the underlying concepts and principles. This includes knowing the properties of waves, such as wavelength, frequency, and amplitude, as well as understanding the laws of reflection and refraction. Once these concepts are clear, you can then apply them to the specific question and use mathematical equations or diagrams to solve it.

2. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving these types of questions?

One common mistake is not considering all the relevant variables in the question. For example, forgetting to account for the medium through which the wave is traveling or not considering the angle of incidence and angle of reflection in a reflection question. It is also important to double-check your calculations and units to ensure accuracy.

3. How can I improve my understanding of wave and optics concepts?

One way to improve your understanding is by practicing various types of questions and actively seeking out resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and videos. It can also be helpful to work through problems with a study group or seek guidance from a teacher or tutor.

4. What are some real-world applications of wave and optics principles?

Wave and optics principles are used in many practical applications, such as in the design of lenses and mirrors for telescopes and microscopes, in the development of fiber optic communication systems, and in medical imaging techniques such as ultrasound and MRI.

5. Are there any common shortcuts or tricks for solving these types of questions?

While there are no shortcuts for understanding the underlying concepts, there are some helpful tips for solving certain types of questions. For example, when dealing with refraction problems, you can use the Snell's law equation to calculate the angle of refraction and remember the relationship between the angles and indices of refraction. It can also be useful to draw diagrams to visualize the problem and identify any symmetries or patterns.