Union of Classical and Quantum

In summary, Bohm's statement that quantum theory presupposes the classical level and the general correctness of classical concepts in describing this level still holds true as of 1979. However, we can now be less dogmatic and accept that there are concepts unique to quantum mechanics that may not have classical analogues. Additionally, the use of classical language and concepts may not be necessary to describe quantum phenomena. Bohm's statement can also be seen in the context of the historical development of quantum mechanics, and may not necessarily hold true in a strict sense.
Rade
In reading D. Bohm "Quantum Theory" (1979), on p. 625 he makes the statement..."without appeal to a classical level, quantum theory would have no meaning". And then ..."quantum theory presupposes the classical level and the general correctness of classical concepts in describing this level "[e.g., the classical level--added for clarity]

If I read Bohm correctly, he seems to suggest that reality must always be dialectic union of the mathematics of the classical and quantum--that is, there does not exist a "classical reality" or a "quantum reality", only a reality that is a union of the classical and quantum.

Since Bohm's book is now > 35 years old, are his statements concerning relationship of classical to quantum held in 2005 to be valid ? Or, has new information since 1979 shown Bohm to be incorrect. Clearly, Bohm understood quantum mechanics, thus I cannot believe that what he said above was not true as of 1979. Thanks for any clarification that can be provided.

Physics news on Phys.org
These days we can, I think, be a bit less dogmatic. Many of concepts we use in physics were developed before the advent of QM -- energy, motion, momentum, charge, mass, and so on. We do not have much choice but to use them, as most have yet to be replaced, and we tend to think in classical terms -- if nothing else, we are captives of our language. Reality? Who knows? It's an old, old word, and an old, old concept.
Rgards,
Reilly Atkinson

It's actually 26 years old. :P One of the fundamental observables in a quantum theory is the SPIN (of a particle or of a classical/quantum field) which doesn't have a classical analogue. :wink:

Daniel.

dextercioby - What's actually 26 years old?

I certainly did not mean to imply that there are not concepts peculiar to QM. But isn't interesting that we use a classically based word, spin, to describe a QM concept. Indeed we are captives of our language.
Regards,
Reilly Atkinson

dextercioby said:
It's actually 26 years old. :P

My copy is a lot older - I believe it originally came out in the early 50's.

I would not agree with Bohm's statement in a literal way. A useful theory (one that works) does not need to be reconciled with other theories. There are historical issues that come into play here, and his statement could better be seen in that light.

DrChinese said:
My copy is a lot older - I believe it originally came out in the early 50's.

I would not agree with Bohm's statement in a literal way. A useful theory (one that works) does not need to be reconciled with other theories. There are historical issues that come into play here, and his statement could better be seen in that light.

Yes as far as I know the first edition of that book appeared in 1951 (that is before his famous article of 1952, the basis of [the] bohmian interpretation of QM) and treats only the Copenhagen interpretation, Bohr's version. Since Bohr held that no direct access at the quantum level is ever possible (only indirect one), taking also in account his positivistic leanings, those quotes do make sense, to some extent at least (in this view only the interpretations using a part of the classical concepts could be justified as being meaningful and at least approximately true).

Bohr strong operationalism is evident in this passage (1949): '‘However far the phenomena transcend the scope of classical physical explanation, the account of all evidence must be expressed in classical terms. (. . . ) The argument is simply that by the word experiment we refer to a situation where we can tell others what we have done and what we have learned and that, therefore, the account of the experimental arrangements and of the results of the observations must be expressed in unambiguous language with suitable application of the terminology of classical physics.’

Nowadays the positivist approach has lost much of its appeal, 'deeper' languages are perfectly accepted in describing the results of experiments; all theories using a language very far from the classical language are acceptable, as much as they accommodate well observed facts (all we need additionally are some auxiliary assumptions which to 'bridge' the languages used at the different levels - it is a well known fact now that such 'bridging principles' are absolutely necessary to account, as an example, for the emergent phenomena such as 'solidity', 'wetness', 'colour' characteristic to the macro world).

Last edited:
I first enountered Bohm's QM text in 1958, when I was an undergraduate grappling with QM, which then seemed very strange and very abstract, and very different from classical physics. My professors were all solidly grounded in classial physics and, in a sense, tried to ground and explain QM in terms of classical concepts -- hence we spent quite a lot of time on the WKB approach, and also on the Hamilton Jacobi approach, contact transformations, Poisson Brackets and such -- showing close connections with QM and it's wave theory of matter. Hence my emphasis on the constraints of classical concepts and language. Almost 50 years later, the physics community has become far more comfortable with QM, and with QFT, than was the case when I was a student. I suspect that the classical connections are studied less thoroughly now.

Still, I suspect that deep down, we all have a problem with wave particle duality -- how can particles diffract. We know they do, but it's, in my view, passing strange. Classical alternating current is certainly wave-like, but, unless I'm mistaken, AC does not suffer diffraction in the classical realm.

In his QM text's section on QM and Classical Concepts(Chap 23) , Bohm asserts that the classical approach says the world can by analysed into distinct elements, that the state of each element can be described by dynamical variables capable of highly precise specifications, and that everything is controlled by causal laws. I'm not so sure, mainly because of the self energy problems of classical E&M. the distinction beteen a particle and it's fields, seen clearly in Poynting's Thrm, is less than precise.

If you look for it, you can always find trouble most anyplace. Nature seems to delight in throwing lot's of curveballs.

Regards,
Reilly Atkinson

dextercioby said:
One of the fundamental observables in a quantum theory is the SPIN (of a particle or of a classical/quantum field) which doesn't have a classical analogue. :wink:

Daniel.

This is true. However, I think it is interesting to take a look at the "box within a box" model of a spinor in MTW [1], which shows a classical object with the transformation properties of a spinor. Mark Hadley has used this as inspiration to come up with a "classical" model [2] of the electron that possesses spin. Is his model correct? Who knows. But it is at least interesting as a thought exercise to show that it may be *possible* to model spin using purely classical notions!

David

[1] Misner, Thorne, Wheeler. Gravitation - see figure 41.6, p 1149, in the section on spinors (sec 41.5).

[2] M. J. HADLEY, Spin half in classical general relativity, Class.Quant.Grav., 17 (2000), pp. 4187–4194.

What is the Union of Classical and Quantum?

The Union of Classical and Quantum refers to the combination of classical mechanics, which describes the behavior of macroscopic objects, and quantum mechanics, which describes the behavior of microscopic objects. It is an attempt to reconcile the two theories and understand how they work together.

Why is the Union of Classical and Quantum important?

The Union of Classical and Quantum is important because it allows us to have a more complete understanding of the physical world. While classical mechanics works well for macroscopic objects, it fails to fully explain the behavior of microscopic objects. Combining it with quantum mechanics helps us fill in the gaps and have a more comprehensive view of the universe.

What are the challenges in creating a Union of Classical and Quantum theories?

One of the main challenges in creating a Union of Classical and Quantum theories is that they have fundamentally different principles and mathematical frameworks. Classical mechanics is based on deterministic equations, while quantum mechanics is based on probabilistic equations. Finding a way to reconcile these two approaches is a major obstacle in creating a unified theory.

What are some potential applications of the Union of Classical and Quantum?

The Union of Classical and Quantum has the potential to lead to new technologies and advancements in fields such as computing, communications, and energy production. It may also help us better understand the behavior of matter at a small scale, which could have implications for medicine and materials science.

Has the Union of Classical and Quantum been achieved?

No, the Union of Classical and Quantum has not been fully achieved yet. While there have been attempts to combine the two theories, a complete and satisfactory unified theory has not yet been developed. It remains a topic of ongoing research and debate among scientists.