Force & Net Torque: Help Me Solve My Homework

In summary, the conversation discusses two problems related to force and torque. The first problem involves determining the normal force on the front and rear wheels of a jet transport, while the second problem involves calculating the net torque on a CD inserted into a player. It is suggested to seek help in a homework forum for further assistance.
moonlit
Force & net torque. Please Help!

I have two problems for homework that I just can't seem to figure out. Can someone please help me?! Thanks.

1) A jet transport has a weight of 2.97 x 106 N and is at rest on the runway. The two rear wheels are 17 m behind the front wheel, and the plane's center of gravity is 13.1 m behind the front wheel. Determine the normal force exerted by the ground on (a) the front wheel and on (b) each of the two rear wheels.

2) A CD has a mass of 17 g and a radius of 6 cm. When inserted into a player, the CD starts from rest and accelerates to an angular velocity of 18 rad/s in 0.53 s. Assuming the CD is a uniform solid disk, determine the net torque acting on it.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a homework forum available - you will probably get more help there.

Nautica

Sure, I'd be happy to help you with these problems! Let's start with the first one.

1) To find the normal force exerted by the ground on the front wheel, we need to first calculate the total torque acting on the plane. We can do this by using the formula torque = force x distance, where the distance is measured from the pivot point (in this case, the front wheel) to the line of action of the force. Since the plane is at rest, the net torque must be equal to 0.

So, let's set up our equation:

0 = (2.97 x 106 N)(13.1 m) + Ff(17 m)

Where Ff is the unknown normal force exerted by the ground on the front wheel. Solving for Ff, we get:

Ff = -2.05 x 106 N

Since the force is negative, we know it is acting downwards, which makes sense as it is balancing out the weight of the plane.

Now, to find the normal force exerted by the ground on each of the rear wheels, we can use the same equation but this time we will set the distance to be from the pivot point to the line of action of the weight of the plane (since it is acting downwards). So our equation becomes:

0 = Ff(17 m) + (2.97 x 106 N)(13.1 m + 17 m)

Solving for Ff, we get:

Ff = 1.44 x 106 N

So the normal force exerted by the ground on each of the rear wheels is 1.44 x 106 N.

2) To find the net torque acting on the CD, we can use the formula torque = moment of inertia x angular acceleration. The moment of inertia for a uniform solid disk is 1/2MR^2, where M is the mass and R is the radius.

So, our equation becomes:

T = (1/2)(0.017 kg)(0.06 m)^2(18 rad/s^2)

Solving for T, we get:

T = 0.036 J

So the net torque acting on the CD is 0.036 J.

I hope this helps you solve your homework! Remember, it's always important to set up your equations correctly and pay attention to the direction of forces and torques. Good luck!

1. What is force and how is it measured?

Force is a physical quantity that describes the interaction between objects or particles. It is measured in units of Newtons (N) and is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its acceleration.

2. What is net torque and how is it different from force?

Net torque is a measure of the rotational force applied to an object. It is calculated by multiplying an object's moment of inertia by its angular acceleration. Unlike force, which is a linear concept, torque involves rotation and is typically measured in units of Newton-meters (Nm).

3. How do I solve problems involving force and net torque?

To solve problems involving force and net torque, you will need to use the relevant equations and principles from Newton's laws of motion and rotational dynamics. It is important to carefully define the problem and identify all the forces and torques acting on the objects involved.

4. Can you provide an example of a problem involving force and net torque?

Sure! Imagine a person pushing a door with a force of 50 N at a distance of 0.5 meters from the hinges. The door has a length of 1 meter and a mass of 10 kg. What is the net torque acting on the door?

First, we need to calculate the moment of inertia of the door, which is given by I = 1/3 * m * L^2 = 1/3 * 10 kg * (1 m)^2 = 3.33 kg*m^2. Then, we can use the formula for torque, where T = I * alpha. Since the door is not accelerating, alpha = 0. Therefore, the net torque is T = 3.33 kg*m^2 * 0 = 0 Nm.

5. How does force and net torque relate to everyday life?

Force and net torque are important concepts that can be observed and experienced in everyday life. For example, when you push a shopping cart, you are exerting a force on it, and the net torque determines whether the cart will rotate or stay in place. Similarly, when you open a door, you are applying a net torque to the door to overcome its inertia and cause it to rotate. These concepts are also crucial in areas such as engineering, sports, and amusement park rides.