Directional Forces: Valid Concepts in Physics?

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces
In summary, "direction of force" is a valid concept in mechanical physics and is an essential part of any force, just like velocity, momentum, or acceleration. It is a vector and follows the vector "law of addition." "Plane of application" is not a commonly used term in mechanical physics and could imply a stress rather than a force.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
Are "direction of force" and "plane of application" valid concepts in mechanical physics, or are these terms I've made up?

Just from the terms alone I'd assume that plane of application is perpendicular to direction of force. But I wonder if that's always the case.

Physics news on Phys.org
… force is a vector …

Hi Dave! :smile:

"direction of force" is certainly essential in mechanical physics - Newton's second law (which is about as fundamental as you can get!) says applied force = (rate of change of) momentum, and momentum certainly has a direction.

The direction is as much an essential part of any force as it is of any velocity, or of any momentum or acceleration! :smile:

In mathematical terms, force is a vector (and so, like velocity, momentum, or acceleration, obeys the vector "law of addition").

"plane of application" …? … I haven't come across. :confused:

DaveC426913 said:
Are "direction of force" and "plane of application" valid concepts in mechanical physics, or are these terms I've made up?

Just from the terms alone I'd assume that plane of application is perpendicular to direction of force. But I wonder if that's always the case.

Sounds about right to me. You can use whatever definition you want as long as you state what you mean by it.

Well, this is going into a school science book, so I want to ensure I use legitimate concepts.

If you want to be super picky about it, forces have a magnitude and a direction.

They are distributed on a differential area normally and tangentially. As the differential area collapses the differential force acts on a point.

A plane of application would imply a stress, not a force.

Last edited:

1. What are directional forces in physics?

Directional forces in physics refer to the forces that act on an object in a specific direction, causing it to move or change its direction of motion. These can include forces such as gravity, friction, and electromagnetic forces.

2. How do directional forces affect motion?

Directional forces can either cause an object to accelerate in a particular direction, slow down its motion, or change its direction of motion. These forces can also act in opposition to each other, resulting in a net force that determines the overall motion of an object.

3. What is the difference between a scalar and vector quantity?

A scalar quantity is a physical quantity that has only magnitude, such as mass or temperature. On the other hand, a vector quantity has both magnitude and direction, such as velocity or force. Directional forces are vector quantities, as they have both a magnitude and a specific direction.

4. How are directional forces related to Newton's laws of motion?

Newton's first law states that an object will remain in its state of motion unless acted upon by an external force. Directional forces are the external forces that can change an object's state of motion according to this law. Newton's second law relates the net force acting on an object to its acceleration, which includes directional forces. Lastly, Newton's third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction, which is observed in directional forces acting in opposite directions.

5. Can directional forces be manipulated or controlled?

Directional forces can be manipulated or controlled to some extent, depending on the type of force and the situation. For example, we can control the direction and magnitude of forces applied to an object by changing the angle or magnitude of our applied force. However, some forces, such as gravity, cannot be directly controlled. Scientists use concepts such as friction and aerodynamics to manipulate directional forces in various applications.