How to find information about energy density of HWR?

In summary, the IAEA research reactor database does not list the energy density of different heavy water reactors. However, by comparing data from three different reactors, it is possible to estimate the average power density of a heavy water reactor. Based on this information, it is likely that the energy density of Iran's new 40 MW reactor is 5.3 m3/kg.
vifteovn
I need some help finding out the energy density of different heavy water reactors. In IAEA research reactor database they only list the thermal output of some HWR - RR, but they lack information about the dimensions of the core, thereby making it difficult to figure out their energy density.

The reason for wanting to find out this is that I want to compare the energy density of other HWR with the HWR Iran are building at Arak.

Have a nice weekend

Engineering news on Phys.org
In addition to thermal power, one would need the dimensions of the core to determine the average power density, or alternatively one would need the dimensions of a particular assembly and the number of assemblies in the core.

I found a crude estimate by comparing IR-40 with Dhurva in India and NRU in Canada. Dhruva and NRU's cores are cylindrical with the diameter the same as the height. By assuming that condition for IR-40 and taking the energy density of Dhruva I found the dimensions of IR-40. But that was only two reactor cores. To find out if this is even close I would like to compare with some other HWR as well.

I think the approach figuring out the assemblies is going to be rather difficult. I could ask the Iranians, but I don't think they'll give me a lot of information :)

Yeah, I read about that. But that makes no sense to me. Why are they making RBMK looking fuel intended for IR-40, but have operated a heavy water production plant (HWPP) next door for the last four five years.

Can RBMK fuel even work in a HWR reactor? Are not the fuel rods spaced to tight together for that?

So I still assume IR-40 is a heavy water reactor. I guess its more expensive to make a HWPP than some mock fuel bundles for confusion...

With the data from the three reactors I have I end up with this result:

NRU (fueled with LEU): energy density: 11,9 MWth / m3
Candu (fueled with SEU): energy density: 7,64 MWth / m3
Dhurva (fuel with natural uranium): energy density: 7,41 MWth / m3

Taking Iran on its word that IR-40 is 40MW, that gives us: volume = thermal power / energy density. I'm also guessing that they will not use LEU fuel since they don't have so much uranium, and if they want to extract pu-239 they want a low enrichment.

Volume of IR-40: 40MW / 7,5 MWth / m3 = 5,3 m3

I "guess" the dimensions them to be 1,85m in diameter and 1,95m in height. Is this a crazy estimate?

Would additional information about other HWR give me a more precise answer?

vifteovn said:
I "guess" the dimensions them to be 1,85m in diameter and 1,95m in height. Is this a crazy estimate?
Would additional information about other HWR give me a more precise answer?

Has to be much longer (at least as long as a fuel assembly).

Then you assume they use RBMK fuel rods? I just can't figure out why they want to use modified RBMK fuel rods. Is not fuel rods the least difficult thing to manufacture for a advanced nuclear state?

To be sure, when literature says "the core" they mean the active region of the fuel rods including moderator and / or coolant + neutron reflector?

1. What is energy density and why is it important to understand for HWR research?

Energy density is a measure of the amount of energy stored in a given quantity of a substance. It is important to understand for HWR research because it can help determine the efficiency and potential of HWR as a source of energy.

2. How do I calculate the energy density of HWR?

To calculate the energy density of HWR, you will need to know the mass of the substance and its energy content. Then, divide the energy content by the mass to get the energy density in units of energy per unit mass (ex: joules per kilogram).

3. What factors can affect the energy density of HWR?

The energy density of HWR can be affected by several factors, including the type and amount of fuel used, the design and efficiency of the reactor, and the operating conditions.

4. Where can I find reliable information about the energy density of HWR?

You can find reliable information about the energy density of HWR from reputable scientific sources such as research journals, government reports, and academic websites. It is important to critically evaluate the sources and ensure they are based on sound scientific research.

5. How does the energy density of HWR compare to other energy sources?

The energy density of HWR can vary depending on the specific design and conditions, but generally it is comparable to other nuclear energy sources and has a higher energy density than fossil fuels. However, it is still lower than other renewable energy sources such as solar and wind power.