Can any one Help? impacting concrete with steel projectile

In summary, the conversation discusses a thesis topic in civil engineering which explores the impact of steel projectiles on concrete barriers. The speaker is seeking ideas for finding the distance a bullet can enter into the barrier and suggests looking for reports from Army arsenals for guidance. They also mention consulting with their supervisor for suggested readings.
bahakhatib
Can anyone Help? "impacting concrete with steel projectile"

Dear all gentlemen ,

Can anyone help me ?

I'am doing my thesis in civil engineering in studying and mixing statistics with civil engineering with topic of " impacting concrete with steel projectile "

if we consider the projectile is bullet and concrete is barrier anyone has idea to find the distance which the bullet can enter inside this barrier or equation which can help me to derive ?

Engineering news on Phys.org

Just off the top of my head, I am inclined to think that this is going to depend strongly on what the aggregate is, what the strength of the concrete is, how much steel is in the concrete, and probably the age of the concrete.

I would suggest that you look for published reports from the Army arsenals. They are the sort of folks that do this type of work routinely.

bahakhatib said:
Dear all gentlemen ,
The ladies must feel ostracised, I'm sure. :tongue:
if we consider the projectile is bullet and concrete is barrier anyone has idea to find the distance which the bullet can enter inside this barrier or equation which can help me to derive ?
This is almost certainly an area of interest to your supervisor, has s/he not given you some suggested preliminary reading?

1. How does impacting concrete with a steel projectile affect its strength?

Impacting concrete with a steel projectile can significantly reduce its strength. The impact can cause cracks and fractures in the concrete, weakening its overall structure.

2. Can concrete withstand multiple impacts from steel projectiles?

The ability of concrete to withstand multiple impacts from steel projectiles depends on several factors, including the type of concrete, the velocity and size of the projectile, and the angle of impact. In general, multiple impacts can cause cumulative damage and decrease the strength of the concrete over time.

3. Are there any safety concerns when conducting experiments involving impacting concrete with steel projectiles?

Yes, there are several safety precautions that should be taken when conducting experiments involving impacting concrete with steel projectiles. These include wearing appropriate protective gear, using proper equipment and techniques, and ensuring a safe distance between the experimenter and the impact site.

4. How can the results of impacting concrete with steel projectiles be applied in real-world scenarios?

The results of these experiments can be applied in various industries, such as construction and defense. They can provide insights into the behavior of concrete under high-velocity impacts and help in designing more durable structures or protective barriers.

5. What other factors can affect the outcome of impacting concrete with steel projectiles?

Aside from the velocity and size of the projectile, other factors that can affect the outcome of these experiments include the type and strength of the concrete, the angle of impact, and the presence of reinforcement or additives in the concrete. Environmental conditions, such as temperature and humidity, can also play a role in the performance of concrete under impact.