Should I take grade 12 biology?

In summary, grade 12 biology may not be a good idea if you're considering a career in physics or engineering, but it can be helpful if you're interested in a career in the sciences in general. If you do take it, make sure to focus on your maths, physics, and chemistry courses in order to make the most of the experience. If you don't take it, you'll likely be better off taking chem in the summer to save time in high school, but you'll need to take another course for next year to be fully prepared for university.
baouba
Should I take grade 12 biology??

I'm in grade 11 and I want to go into either physics or engineering but everyone tells me I should take as many sciences and maths as I can. If I go into engineering it probably won't be anything that has to do with living systems.

Should I just take it to keep my options open?

If I do take it, I'll be doing it in summer school so I can just focus on physics, chemistry, and calculus next year. I already have a grade 12 Earth & space science credit and a grade 12 advanced functions credit. I'll be taking AP physics and AP calculus next year and regular chemistry so will it help me in terms of university applications to take bio or no? If I DON'T take it I'll do chemistry in the summer to minimize workload in grade 12 so I can focus on getting good grades. However some people tell me to take chem at my school because it is harder and will better prepare me for university.

I'll probably be applying to a university in Ontario, Canada.

Thank You!

Physics news on Phys.org

baouba said:
Yukk, only perhaps if you are considering biotech/biomedical physics/engineering, but I wouldn't go out of my way to take it in summer school, especially if you already have had some biology related courses.
I'm in grade 11 and I want to go into either physics or engineering but everyone tells me I should take as many sciences and maths as I can. If I go into engineering it probably won't be anything that has to do with living systems.

Should I just take it to keep my options open?
Nahh.

If I do take it, I'll be doing it in summer school so I can just focus on physics, chemistry, and calculus next year. I already have a grade 12 Earth & space science credit and a grade 12 advanced functions credit. I'll be taking AP physics and AP calculus next year and regular chemistry so will it help me in terms of university applications to take bio or no? If I DON'T take it I'll do chemistry in the summer to minimize workload in grade 12 so I can focus on getting good grades. However some people tell me to take chem at my school because it is harder and will better prepare me for university.
I'd take the chem in the summer so you can focus on calc and physics next year.

Please note that chemical and biomedical engineering graduates earn wicked high pay. But not worth a penny of it if you are more into civil, mechanical, electrical, physics, or computer related fields.

I'll probably be applying to a university in Ontario, Canada.

Thank You!
'welcome! In my opinion.

If you're seriously considering a career in the sciences, it's a good idea to take as many sciences as you can in high school so that you're exposed to the basics across a broad spectrum of topics.

It's probably too early for you to be deciding on a specialty (ie. whether you're going to go into biomedical or mechanical engineering or whatever), so it's a good idea to keep as many doors open as you can.

Since it's not AP Biology, I'm going to suggest that you avoid the course. You'll likely have to take some life science course in college for GE, so take Bio then...Plus, then it'll only be a semester long experience. Focus on your maths, physics, and chemistry. And, believe it or not, they will help you better appreciate biology when you take it in college. Biology, after all, is just applied chemistry/physics.

jessfalling said:
Biology, after all, is just applied chemistry/physics.

:uhh:

I've heard though that if I want to go into physics or engineering I should take as many science courses as possible

My question really is will it help me and make me look more appealing to the universities?

People also tell me I should take chem at my school because they make it extra tough and if I take it in summer school it will be easier. If I do just that, when I go off to university I won't necessarily be under prepared but I would do much better if I took it at my school.

Should I take a harder chem to better prepare me?

If I do take chem in the summer though instead of bio I will need another course for next year. I'm currently not taking data management. My guidence counselor said it's really easy and I can learn it in university if I have to.

So should I take data? I hear it's mostly for people going into business. Although it does have some applications for physics like learning probability... which I've already done on my own time...

Thanks everybody for the replies so far.

While it's good to take a wide range of courses, I don't think it's worth taking summer school for it. It's not even a prerequisite for biomedical engineering at my school as far as I can tell. They cover everything you need anyway.

It seems to me like you really need to just stop worrying quite so much. Take the time to relax and have fun while you can. Engineering's going to be hard enough, and killing yourself in high school won't make it that much easier.

It's irrelevant, and if you develop an interest in biology once you get to University it doesn't change what courses you have to take.

1. Should I take grade 12 biology if I am not planning to pursue a science-related career?

Yes, taking grade 12 biology can still be beneficial for students who are not planning on pursuing a science-related career. Biology is a fundamental science that can help improve critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and also provides a basic understanding of the natural world and human health.

2. Is grade 12 biology a difficult course?

This can vary from person to person, but generally grade 12 biology can be a challenging course. It involves a lot of memorization and understanding of complex concepts. However, with dedication and proper studying techniques, it is manageable for most students.

3. Will taking grade 12 biology help me get into a good university?

It depends on the university and program you are applying to. Some universities and programs may require or recommend grade 12 biology, while others may not. It is important to research the specific requirements of the universities and programs you are interested in.

4. Can I take grade 12 biology without taking grade 11 biology?

It is not recommended to skip grade 11 biology and directly take grade 12 biology. Grade 11 biology provides important foundational knowledge that is necessary for understanding grade 12 biology. It is best to take both courses in order to fully comprehend the subject matter.

5. Will grade 12 biology be useful in my everyday life?

Yes, grade 12 biology covers a wide range of topics such as genetics, ecology, and human physiology, which can be applied to daily life. For example, understanding genetics can help in making informed decisions about health and family planning, and knowledge of ecology can contribute to sustainable living practices.