Is the product of P actually wug and what about

• Thread starter Probie1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Product
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of product in physics, specifically in the equation P = mv. The participants clarify the meaning of product and its relationship to mass, velocity, and gravity. They also discuss the derivation of the equation Vf = √(Vi^2 + (2ad)) for constant acceleration. The conversation ends with a clarification of the symbols used in the equations, such as P for momentum, m for mass, v for velocity, g for gravity, μ for friction, and w for weight.
Probie1
P = mv so do this mean that the product of v is μg and the product of m is weight?

So it could be written P = wμg

How is this formula derived Vf = √(Vi^2 + (2ad))

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Probie1! :smile:
Probie1 said:
P = mv so do this mean that the product of v is μg and the product of m is weight?

Sorry, I've no idea what you're talking about :redface:

what is the context (and what do you mean by "product")? :confused:

Does product not mean... umm the make up... it is part of or makes up?
I guess the context of all this is I am trying to undertand how formula's come about.

This is another question.

Mathematically "product" means the result of multiplying numbers. It simply doesn't make sense to talk about the "product" of a single number as in "product of v is μg" or "the product of m is weight". Perhaps you mean it the other way- weight is the product of mg. That is "mass times the acceleration due to gravity of an object is the force on that object due to gravity"- by definition its "weight". I'm not sure what you could mean by "v is the product μg", if that is what you intend, because you have not told us what μ is and it is not a standard symbol. Sometimes μ is used for the "coefficient of drag" but that doesn't make sense here. Assuming g is the acceleration due to gravity and v is velocity, their standard meanings, since v would have units of "meters per second" and g "meters per seconds squared", μ would have to have units of "seconds"- it would have to be a "time". Is that correct?

Probie1 said:
This is another question.

What other equations of motion do you know?

Hi Probie1! :smile:

(try using the X2 and X2 buttons just above the Reply box :wink:)
Probie1 said:

This is one of the standard equations for constant acceleration.

So we start with a = constant.

Then, integrating, v = at + vi.

And integrating again, d = 1/2 at2 + vit.

Can you finish the proof? :wink:

Probie1 said:
Does product not mean... umm the make up... it is part of or makes up?

As HallsofIvy says, no.

What did you mean by P m v m and g ? :confused:

Can you finish the proof?

d = 1/2 at2 + vit.

D= at + vi2

Alright... stop laughing.

What did you mean by P m v m and g ?

P = momentum
m=mass
v=velocity
g = gravity
μ = friction
w= weight

I thought that if P=mv then v = a = μg but then I remembered where I left my brain because a = change in velocity over a change in time. So it can't possibly be the way I was thinking. So just forget I was so stupid to write that down.

Last edited:

1. Is the product of P actually wug?

The answer to this question depends on what the specific product of P is. As a scientist, I would need more information about the product in question in order to determine its properties and whether it can be classified as "wug."

2. What is the product of P?

This question is also difficult to answer without more context. P could refer to any number of elements, compounds, or variables, so I would need more information in order to provide an accurate answer.

3. How can we determine if the product of P is wug?

The process of determining whether a product is "wug" would involve conducting experiments and analyzing data. As a scientist, I would use various methods such as chemical analysis, physical testing, and statistical analysis to determine the properties and characteristics of the product in question.

4. Are there any potential risks associated with using the product of P?

This is an important question to consider, as any product can have potential risks depending on its composition and intended use. As a scientist, I would conduct thorough research and testing to identify any potential risks and make recommendations for safe usage of the product.

5. Can the product of P be used for multiple purposes?

Again, this would depend on the specific product in question. Some products may have multiple uses, while others may be designed for a specific purpose. As a scientist, I would need more information about the product and its properties to determine its potential applications.