Solving Physics Questions: Scalars, Vectors, Displacement, Paths & More

In summary, the conversation is about the difference between vectors and scalars in physics, the significance of significant figures in scientific development, and the role of the human body as an accelerometer and speedometer. The main question is whether all quantities that have direction and magnitude are considered vectors in physics. The conversation also mentions the confusion over the use of A+B and "the sum of A and B" in relation to vectors. The conversation ends with a suggestion to research AND, OR, and XOR gates for a better understanding.
dido28
hi everyone I'm in my first year of electronic engineering and i have some questions which the professor of physics gave us but more as research than homeworks and to be honest i really tried but i didn't found anythings so I'm here to asking for your help
1- what is the difference between: (A and B are vectors)
A+B
the addition of A and B
the sum of A and B
2-is it true that in physics we have only scalars and vectors as quantities ?
3-is it true that all quantities which have direction and magnitude are vectors ?
4-what is the difference between the displacement and the path ?
5-how using the significants figures contributed in the scientific development ?
6- if you have the time and space can you find all other variables in physics ?
7-acceleration has no scientific meaning , why ?
8-the body of human is an accelerometer ,why ?
9-the body of human is not a speedometer ,why ?
if you can give me the answers or just tell me where i can found them it will really help me

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
dido28 said:
1- what is the difference between: (A and B are vectors); A+B; the addition of A and B; the sum of A and B

In the version of American English that I use, they all mean the same thing. In the version of English used in your part of the world (wherever that is), perhaps there is a difference.

that is what i said to the professor but he insist and told me that there is a difference :confused:

dido28 said:
that is what i said to the professor but he insist and told me that there is a difference :confused:

Here is how you could respond to your professor:

Of course there is a difference between A+B and "the sum of A and B". The difference happens to be zero.

believe me i will :approve: but for the rest any suggestions

dido28 said:
2-is it true that in physics we have only scalars and vectors as quantities ?
Tensors.

3-is it true that all quantities which have direction and magnitude are vectors ?
That question is bad. In mathematics, you can express everything as vector. It does not matter if it is meaningful.

4-what is the difference between the displacement and the path ?
I would say that a path has a specific way to "make" that displacement, but that depends on the precise interpretation of the question.

5-how using the significants figures contributed in the scientific development ?
The concept of significant figures can be nice to get a rough estimate of an uncertainty, but it is not used for serious scientific work.

6- if you have the time and space can you find all other variables in physics ?
What does that even mean?

7-acceleration has no scientific meaning , why ?
Of course it has.

8-the body of human is an accelerometer ,why ?
Can you feel an acceleration?

9-the body of human is not a speedometer ,why ?
Speed relative to what? See principle of relativity.

I think the clue to the (A & B) versus (A + B) is to be found in your course subject as an electronic engineer.

You should look up
AND gates
OR gates
XOR gates

and you will have your answer

tanks evryone

1. What is the difference between a scalar and a vector in physics?

A scalar is a physical quantity that has only magnitude, such as time, temperature, or mass. A vector, on the other hand, has both magnitude and direction, such as displacement, velocity, and force.

2. How do you calculate displacement in physics?

Displacement is the shortest distance between an initial and final position of an object. It can be calculated by subtracting the initial position from the final position, taking into account the direction of the motion.

3. What is the difference between distance and displacement in physics?

Distance is the total length of the path traveled by an object, while displacement is the change in position of an object. Distance is a scalar quantity, while displacement is a vector quantity.

4. How do you determine the path of an object in physics?

The path of an object can be determined by plotting its position at different points in time. This creates a graph, and the shape of the graph represents the path of the object.

5. What are some common applications of vector quantities in physics?

Vector quantities such as velocity, acceleration, and force are commonly used in physics to describe the motion of objects. They are also used in fields such as engineering, navigation, and astronomy.