Converting uniformly distributed load applied to a surface on an angle to point loads

by tmglynch
Tags: angle, distributed, force, load
tmglynch
Jan24-13, 01:36 AM
P: 1

If there is a uniformly distributed load due to gravity on a truss, how do I convert this into point forces on the three pin joints on the truss?

I am having trouble trying to work it out as I'm pretty sure there will be both forces in the x and in the y for each of the joints, but I can't work out how to determine this.

Thanks
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Lifting the brakes on fuel efficiency
PsiKick's batteryless sensors poised for coming 'Internet of things'
Researcher launches successful tech start-up to help the blind
AppleBite
Jan24-13, 06:47 AM
P: 54
Have you tried calculating the resultant force of the distributed force (which by the looks of your drawing will be at the middle joint, in the -y direction) and then calculated the forces in each truss due to the resultant force?

Remember, the moment caused by a distributed force can be expressed as a single resultant force applied at a point.

Register to reply