Comparing NEP and noise temperature?

In summary, the conversation discusses the comparison between noise temperature and NEP for a pair-breaking-based photon detector and an amp. The speaker is looking for resources and help in understanding how to convert between the two and how to calculate the noise temperature of the detector. They mention that the two may not be equivalent and suggest a formula for relating them. The conversation also mentions a paper that may be helpful for understanding amp noise in kinetic inductance detectors.
quark314
So I don't have a lot of noise theory background (or, really, any) and I'm having trouble with this. I'm hoping someone can expalin and/or point me to some good resources for looking these things up (I have access to a good academic library, so I should be able to get any not-too-obscure resource).

I have a pair-breaking-based photon detector and an amp. I know the noise temperature for the amp, and I know the NEP for the detector and I need to compare them (to make sure I'm not going to be amp noise limited). Is there a reasonable way to convert between noise temp and NEP?

Alternatively, in principle I know everything about the detector (I designed it), so I suppose I ought to be able to calculate the noise temperature of the detector, but I don't know how. What about if I imagine I am photon (shot) noise limited in the detector? (not quite true, but a reasonable simple case to start with). How would one calculate the noise temp of the detector then?

Science news on Phys.org
I don't think the two are equivalent, when talking about noise temperature it is implied that the amplifier is impedance matched to the source. I am not sure how you would apply that to a "generic" detector.
However, there is nothing stopping you from just relating them using Te=NEP/kB*B, where B is the bandwidth of your system. Then Te would be the temperature of a resistor with some value R that is sending out a noise power equivalent to your NEP.

But again, I suspect this would only be suitable for a detector that is actually matched to the load, say a power detector in a MW system.

Btw, what kind of detector are we talking about? Kinetic indctance?

f95toli said:
what kind of detector are we talking about? Kinetic indctance?

Yes, I'm getting together a test setup for a LEKID. Finding I've been spending too much time worrying about the solid state theory end of things, and not nearly enough time thinking about the practical electronics side of things.

Thanks for the response.

For future folks finding this thread by googling their problems, there's some helpful info for amp noise in kinetic inductance detectors in Jonas Zmuidzinas's 2012 paper in Annual Review of Condensed Matter Physics.

1. What is NEP and how does it differ from noise temperature?

NEP (Noise Equivalent Power) is a measure of the minimum detectable power in a system. It is a measure of the sensitivity of the system, with a lower NEP indicating higher sensitivity. Noise temperature, on the other hand, is a measure of the noise power in a system and is affected by the physical temperature of the system.

2. How are NEP and noise temperature calculated?

NEP is typically calculated by taking the square root of the ratio of the noise power to the system bandwidth. Noise temperature is calculated using the Boltzmann constant, the physical temperature of the system, and the system's noise figure.

3. Which is a more important measure for a system, NEP or noise temperature?

This depends on the specific application and requirements of the system. In general, NEP is a more important measure for systems that require high sensitivity, such as in low-light imaging. Noise temperature is a more important measure for systems that require low noise, such as in radio astronomy.

4. How do NEP and noise temperature affect the overall performance of a system?

NEP and noise temperature both affect the overall performance of a system by influencing the system's sensitivity and noise levels. A lower NEP and noise temperature generally result in better performance, while a higher NEP and noise temperature can lead to decreased performance.

5. Can NEP and noise temperature be improved in a system?

Yes, NEP and noise temperature can be improved in a system through various methods such as using better materials with lower noise levels, optimizing the design of the system, and implementing noise reduction techniques. However, it is important to note that there is a trade-off between sensitivity and noise levels, so improving one may result in a decrease in the other.