Notation confusion; |\pi N; I, I_3> states

In summary, we discussed the notation for ##\pi N## states and clarified the meaning of the various symbols. We also explored the use of quantum mechanical shift ladder in obtaining the combined state with ##I=3/2, I_3=1/2## and saw that the resulting coefficients are Clebsch-Gordon coefficients.
Gregg
Notation confusion; ## |\pi N; I, I_3 \rangle ## states

In my book it says for the ##\pi N ## state:

##|\pi N; \frac{3}{2},\frac{3}{2}\rangle =|\pi ;1,1\rangle | N; \frac{1}{2},\frac{1}{2}\rangle##

firstly, does this mean:

##|\pi N; \frac{3}{2},\frac{3}{2}\rangle =|\pi ;1,1\rangle \otimes | N; \frac{1}{2},\frac{1}{2}\rangle## ?

Not that it really matters, but next it says that you can use quantum mechanical shift ladder to get

##|\pi N; \frac{3}{2},\frac{1}{2}\rangle =-\sqrt{\frac{1}{3}}|\pi ^+n\rangle +\sqrt{\frac{2}{3}}| \pi ^0 p\rangle##

I'm really not too sure what this means, and the notation is not too clear to me, could someone explain it to me? In the title I and I_3 refers to isospin. I don't know what the N indicates, Baryon number? Is the tensor product a key to get the coefficients, are they similar to Clebsch-Gordon coefficients or what is the ladder operation for spin in terms of these vectors? I really don't have much understanding of the notation or implications at the moment.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The N stands for Nucleon. The nucleon states with I=1/2 are proton (I3= +1/2) and neutron (I3 = -1/2). So the first line says the combined state with I = 3/2, I3 = 3/2 consists of π+ and proton.

To get the last line, we apply the operator I- that lowers total I3. It acts on both the pion and the proton. Lowering the proton to a neutron gives us the first term, while lowering the π+ to a π0 gives us the second term. As you say, the √'s in front of these terms are Clebsch-GordAn coefficients.

Bill_K said:
The N stands for Nucleon. The nucleon states with I=1/2 are proton (I3= +1/2) and neutron (I3 = -1/2). So the first line says the combined state with I = 3/2, I3 = 3/2 consists of π+ and proton.

To get the last line, we apply the operator I- that lowers total I3. It acts on both the pion and the proton. Lowering the proton to a neutron gives us the first term, while lowering the π+ to a π0 gives us the second term. As you say, the √'s in front of these terms are Clebsch-GordAn coefficients.

OK, so would a way to look at that operation be:

##I_- |\pi N; \frac{3}{2},\frac{3}{2}\rangle = I_- |\pi ;1,1\rangle \otimes | N; \frac{1}{2},\frac{1}{2}\rangle + |\pi ;1,1\rangle \otimes I_-| N; \frac{1}{2},\frac{1}{2}\rangle## ?

Which will give me

## k_1 |\pi^0 p \rangle + k_2 | \pi^+ n\rangle ## ?

where the coefficients are CG coefficients?

Thanks for the help

1. What is notation confusion in |\pi N; I, I_3> states?

Notation confusion refers to the different ways in which the |\pi N; I, I_3> states can be represented or written. This can lead to confusion and inconsistencies in scientific literature.

2. How are the |\pi N; I, I_3> states notated?

The |\pi N; I, I_3> states can be notated in various ways, such as |\pi^+p; \frac{1}{2}, \frac{1}{2} > or |\pi^-n; \frac{1}{2}, -\frac{1}{2} >, among others. The notation typically includes the particle types (pi meson and nucleon), the isospin (I) and its projection (I_3) quantum numbers.

3. Why is notation confusion a problem in science?

Notation confusion can lead to misunderstandings and inconsistencies in scientific literature, making it difficult for researchers to accurately understand and communicate their findings. It can also make it challenging for other scientists to replicate experiments or build upon previous research.

4. How can notation confusion be avoided?

To avoid notation confusion, scientists should use a standardized notation system, such as the one recommended by the Particle Data Group. This system includes guidelines for representing particle states, including the use of subscripts and superscripts to denote quantum numbers.

5. Is notation confusion a common issue in scientific research?

Notation confusion is a common issue in scientific research, particularly in the field of particle physics. This is because there are many different particles and states to notate, and different research groups may use their own notations. However, efforts are being made to promote the use of standardized notation systems to reduce confusion and improve communication in the scientific community.