Seek help for space groups in 2 dimensions Bravais lattice

In summary, the speaker is seeking help with identifying space groups in 2D Bravais lattice for attached structures. They have provided three structures with red and green dots representing different atoms. They are not familiar with crystal structure theory and are asking for an expert's answer on the presence of symmetry planes.
harmonyU
Dear experts,
I'm not familiar with crystal structure theory. I'm seek expertise to figure out space groups in 2 dimensions Bravais lattice of the attached structures. In the figure, red and greens dots represent different atoms. I'll greatly appreciate your help.

Struture 1
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=55823&stc=1&d=1361080231
structure 2
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=55824&stc=1&d=1361080249
structure 2
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=55825&stc=1&d=1361080249

Attachments

• Structure 1.jpg
    Structure 1.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 725
  • Structure 2.jpg
    Structure 2.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 711
  • Structure 3.png
    Structure 3.png
    2.4 KB · Views: 750
Physics news on Phys.org
Dr Transport said:
do you see any symmetry planes?
Thank you men. I'm not familiar with space group in 2D bravais lattice. Can you give me your expertise answer?

1. What is a Bravais lattice in 2 dimensions?

A Bravais lattice in 2 dimensions is a mathematical concept used to describe the arrangement of atoms or molecules in a crystal. It is characterized by a set of lattice points that are arranged in a repeating pattern, with each point having the same environment and orientation as all other points in the lattice.

2. How many types of Bravais lattices are there in 2 dimensions?

There are five types of Bravais lattices in 2 dimensions: square, rectangular, hexagonal, oblique, and centered rectangular. These lattices differ in the angles between their lattice vectors and the lengths of their lattice vectors.

3. What is the significance of space groups in 2 dimensions?

Space groups in 2 dimensions are important because they describe the symmetries of a crystal lattice. They provide a way to classify and understand the arrangement of atoms or molecules in a crystal, which can help in predicting the physical, chemical, and electrical properties of the material.

4. How do I seek help for space groups in 2 dimensions Bravais lattice?

If you need help understanding or working with space groups in 2 dimensions Bravais lattice, you can consult a scientific textbook or journal on crystallography, attend a lecture or workshop on the topic, or seek assistance from a scientist or expert in the field.

5. Can I apply the concept of Bravais lattice in 2 dimensions to real-world materials?

Yes, the concept of Bravais lattice in 2 dimensions is applicable to a wide range of real-world materials, including metals, semiconductors, and ceramics. It can help in understanding the structure and properties of these materials, as well as in the design and development of new materials with desired properties.