EM waves- self propagating in a vacuum?

In summary, an EM wave is created when a charged particle moves and it propagates by interacting with empty space. Close to the oscillating charge, the field is dependent on the oscillating charge, but as the field expands it continually renews itself.
kasap
First of all, I understand that an EM wave is created by a charged particle that is moving.

What I don't understand is how it propagates itself when traveling through a vacuum as there is no medium for it to interact with. Can this be explained by anything other than photon theory? I really can't wrap my head around the idea of self propagation.

Sorry in advance if this question is a load of rubbish, thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
kasap said:
First of all, I understand that an EM wave is created by a charged particle that is moving.

What I don't understand is how it propagates itself when traveling through a vacuum as there is no medium for it to interact with. Can this be explained by anything other than photon theory? I really can't wrap my head around the idea of self propagation.

Well, you must.

Close to the oscillating charge the field is dependent on the oscillating charge, but as the field expands it continually renews itself by alternately generating E and H fields. The cause of the field, the oscillating charge, is essentially "forgotten"!

Thanks to both of you for your replies,
rude man said:
Well, you must.

Close to the oscillating charge the field is dependent on the oscillating charge, but as the field expands it continually renews itself by alternately generating E and H fields. The cause of the field, the oscillating charge, is essentially "forgotten"!

Thank you this makes more sense now, I looked up Maxwell's equations and saw that a changing magnetic field gives rise to an electric field and vice versa. But what causes them to change, is it not that the source (the oscillating charge) is constantly changing position? Sorry in advance if this is a stupid question.

What causes them to change? That is just how they are. Is it any more mysterious than the fact that charges and current create the fields in the first place?

Physics isn't really in the habit of answering "why" questions.

kasap said:
But what causes them to change, is it not that the source (the oscillating charge) is constantly changing position?
The charge need not continue to change position. If it briefly changes position and then remains at rest then there will be a brief wave which will propagate at the speed of light forever (in principle).

kasap said:
But what causes them to change, is it not that the source (the oscillating charge) is constantly changing position? Sorry in advance if this is a stupid question.

The initial disturbance is created by the moving charge, but once created it will continue to propagate. Intuitively, it's not all that different from what happens when you toss a rock into a pool of still water - the ripples keep spreading long after the rock has quietly sunk to the bottom.

mikeph said:
What causes them to change? That is just how they are. Is it any more mysterious than the fact that charges and current create the fields in the first place?

Physics isn't really in the habit of answering "why" questions.

DaleSpam andf Nugatory have done well in answering 'why'. It's a really cool topic although I would look at Faradays basic ideas on Bf and how they are created by moving charges (from your 'static' frame of reference) as opposed to Maxwell's equations for more simplicity in understanding how these EM waves propagate through space.

1. What are EM waves?

EM waves, or electromagnetic waves, are a type of energy that can travel through a vacuum. They are also known as light waves and are a form of radiation.

2. How do EM waves self propagate in a vacuum?

EM waves self propagate in a vacuum due to the interaction between electric and magnetic fields. As the electric field oscillates, it creates a magnetic field, which then creates another electric field, and so on. This self-sustaining process allows the wave to travel through a vacuum without the need for a medium.

3. What is the speed of EM waves in a vacuum?

The speed of EM waves in a vacuum is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second, which is also known as the speed of light. This speed is constant and does not change regardless of the frequency or wavelength of the wave.

4. What is the relationship between wavelength and frequency in EM waves?

The relationship between wavelength and frequency in EM waves is inverse. This means that as the wavelength increases, the frequency decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation wavelength = speed of light / frequency.

5. What are the different types of EM waves?

The different types of EM waves include radio waves, microwaves, infrared, visible light, ultraviolet, X-rays, and gamma rays. These waves have different wavelengths and frequencies, and are used in various technologies such as communication, cooking, and medical imaging.