Iron Pill Overdose: Is Deferasirox Safe and Effective in Treating Iron Toxicity?

In summary, taking iron supplements can be a bit extreme. Iron deficiency is uncommon among adults, so don't take them unless prescribed by a doctor. Iron overload can be dangerous, so be careful. Taking iron supplements can also cause fatigue.
Vodkacannon
I have seen that the recommended daily intake of iron for adults is 45 mg/day. I've seen even lower estimates. These iron pills that I bought contain 50 mg of iron and give 278% of your daily value intake. The instructions say take two tablets daily.

Isn't this a bit extreme or am I not getting something?

Biology news on Phys.org
Why are you taking iron supplements? Have you been tested as anemic and advised to take supplements by a doctor?

The recommended daily intake of iron for males age 19 to 50 years is only 8 mg. This is easily obtained from a balanced diet.

Who should be cautious about taking iron supplements?

Iron deficiency is uncommon among adult men and postmenopausal women. These individuals should only take iron supplements when prescribed by a physician because of their greater risk of iron overload. Iron overload is a condition in which excess iron is found in the blood and stored in organs such as the liver and heart.

The body excretes very little iron, please see a doctor. The upper limit for iron is 45mg per day, and again, such supplements should only be under a doctor's supervision when medically necessary. See table 5.

See table 3 http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Iron-HealthProfessional/

Last edited:
A good leeching can get rid of excess iron.

SteamKing said:
A good leeching can get rid of excess iron.

What do you mean by "leeching"? Do you mean chelation therapy?

http://www.aamds.org/node/114

Last edited:
No, I mean putting actual leeches on your body, like they used to do. Bloodsuckers, you know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leech

Leeches also produce a powerful natural anticoagulant. They were studied and used experimentally in the 1980s to aid in microsurgery used to reattach body parts. If you want to get rid of excess iron, take a couple of leeches and call your doctor in the morning.

Of course, if you don't like leeches, then you can get a phlebotomy (blood letting) on a regular basis.

SteamKing said:
No, I mean putting actual leeches on your body, like they used to do. Bloodsuckers, you know.

I thought you might mean that but was afraid to ask, not because it's bad (it's an approved treatment) but because I didn't know how you felt about such things.

Last edited:
They're leeches, you know. I can take 'em or leave 'em ... or leave 'em ... dang it ... or leave 'em.

Apparently, according to WebMD.com, the average person only absorbs 10% of ingested iron, while people with hemochromatosis can absorb up to 30%, which can cause iron poisoning.

I have poor diverse food intake and wake up groggy even after more than 8 hours of sleep. I can sleep for 12 hours sometimes. I figured that iron would lower my fatigue.

Vodkacannon said:
Apparently, according to WebMD.com, the average person only absorbs 10% of ingested iron, while people with hemochromatosis can absorb up to 30%, which can cause iron poisoning.

I have poor diverse food intake and wake up groggy even after more than 8 hours of sleep. I can sleep for 12 hours sometimes. I figured that iron would lower my fatigue.
Too much iron *causes* fatigue. Don't self diagnose, please get checked by a doctor.

Vodkacannon said:

Adding to what Evo said... if you need more encouragement to go see a doctor then read up a bit more about haemochromatosis:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haemochromatosis

Iron overload gradually causes damages to various other major organs (heart, liver, pancreas, to name a few).

(I'm not saying this is necessarily what's wrong with you -- there's lots of other things than could cause fatigue, e.g., liver cirrhosis if your username "Vodkacannon" indicates your actual drinking habits. You need to get a professional diagnosis sooner rather than later.)

a chelating therapy would overall decrease the symptoms of iron toxicity Deferoxamine and now a new with very less side effects Deferasirox can be used.
note: all these are generic names.

Manish7 said:
a chelating therapy would overall decrease the symptoms of iron toxicity Deferoxamine and now a new with very less side effects Deferasirox can be used.
According to Wikipedia, Deferasirox is not risk-free, and has a rather large question mark hanging over its use.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deferasirox
Wikipedia said:
Risks (of Deferasirox):
Deferasirox was the #2 drug on the list of 'Most frequent suspected drugs in reported patient deaths' compiled by the Institute for Safe Medical Practices in 2009. There were 1320 deaths reported, perhaps explained by an update to the ADE data of Novartis, and a new boxed warning about gastrointestinal haemorrhage as well as kidney and liver failure.

See also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deferoxamine

Chelation therapy in general sounds like something not to be undertaken lightly:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chelation_therapy

From what I've been reading, it appears that chelation therapy is the last resort.

you have not focussed , that deferasirox is approved by FDA in 2005.also the symptoms of iron toxicity in acute condition like vomit.,diarrhoea,pain abdomen,coma are much more severe than its side efeects especially in developing countries but not in developed nations.
also note that deferoxamine causes nephrotoxicity as it is excreted in yrine but deferasirox is excreted in bile
so no chance of nephrotoxicity but it causes liver and gastric haemorrhage only in high doses administered !

What is a potential iron pill overdose?

A potential iron pill overdose occurs when a person ingests more iron supplements than their body can handle, leading to an excess amount of iron in their system.

What are the symptoms of a potential iron pill overdose?

The symptoms of a potential iron pill overdose can range from mild to severe and may include nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, diarrhea, and in severe cases, low blood pressure, shock, and organ failure.

How can someone prevent a potential iron pill overdose?

The best way to prevent a potential iron pill overdose is to follow the recommended dosage on the supplement label and to avoid taking more than the recommended amount. It is also important to keep iron supplements out of reach from children.

What should someone do if they suspect they have taken too many iron pills?

If someone suspects they have taken too many iron pills, they should seek medical attention immediately. The doctor may suggest inducing vomiting or receiving treatment to remove excess iron from the body.

Are there any long-term effects of a potential iron pill overdose?

In severe cases, a potential iron pill overdose can lead to long-term effects such as liver damage, heart failure, and permanent brain damage. It is important to seek medical attention as soon as possible to prevent these potential long-term effects.