Electric Field Vectors: Does Force Follow Direction?

In summary, the electric force on a charged particle always in the same direction of the field, but if it is an uncharged particle, then the force is not in the same direction.
MathewsMD
Is the electric force on a charged particle always in the same direction of the field? What if it is an uncharged particle?

If you have an electron, with the field vectors pointing radially inward, then place a proton in the field, then yes since the proton is attracted towards the electron as well. But if you place an electron in the field, the electric force will not be in the same direction as the force, right?

The same concept applies with an electric field about a stationary proton, if you have another proton, then yes, the directions of the electric force and field are the same. But if you have an electron, this is not true.

Could anyone please clarify or confirm anything I have said? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
MathewsMD said:
Is the electric force on a charged particle always in the same direction of the field?

This is true only if the particle is positively charged. As you note later, if the particle is negatively charged, the force is in the opposite direction to the field.

What if it is an uncharged particle?

Then there is no force.

Also, based on this:

YEVs2Oh.png

I understand why C is correct. But isn't option A and technically C right too?
Since the field vectors would be pointing downward and right with the greatest magnitude in situation 1.

Sorry for the extra questions. They're just related and I rather not open a new thread.

For:
0uvPOVJ.png

Why is the force exerted by a uniform electric field not parallel to it? The force and electric field vectors are parallel, right? Why does the field have to not be parallel to the dipole moment in order for there to be torque? Why can't it be just perpendicular as well? Dipole moments are a little new and any explanation would be very helpful!

Any help? I am trying to think about it logically but am missing something.

MathewsMD said:
Also, based on this:

YEVs2Oh.png

I understand why C is correct. But isn't option A and technically C right too?
Since the field vectors would be pointing downward and right with the greatest magnitude in situation 1.

I would tend to agree that A is true too. I'll look more at this... It would help if you could write down the relative total vector fields for each configuration...

MathewsMD said:
Sorry for the extra questions. They're just related and I rather not open a new thread.

For:
0uvPOVJ.png

Why is the force exerted by a uniform electric field not parallel to it? The force and electric field vectors are parallel, right? Why does the field have to not be parallel to the dipole moment in order for there to be torque? Why can't it be just perpendicular as well? Dipole moments are a little new and any explanation would be very helpful!

The key is the uniformity of the electric field. The net force of a uniform electric field on an electric dipole is what?

There may be a temporary force on the ends of the dipole if it is not yet aligned with the E-field, but eventually what happens?

berkeman said:
The key is the uniformity of the electric field. The net force of a uniform electric field on an electric dipole is what?

There may be a temporary force on the ends of the dipole if it is not yet aligned with the E-field, but eventually what happens?

Hmmm..don't dipoles become aligned to become parallel in the electric field? Therefore there would be no torque, but isn't there still a parallel force from the electric field? You stress the uniformity though...are the field vectors supposed to cancel, regardless of the object in it?

MathewsMD said:
Hmmm..don't dipoles become aligned to become parallel in the electric field? Therefore there would be no torque, but isn't there still a parallel force from the electric field? You stress the uniformity though...are the field vectors supposed to cancel, regardless of the object in it?

You have the correct intuition. If the dipole is not yet aligned, there is a net torque. If there is no damping, the dipole will oscillate.

Once the dipole is aligned with the E-field, there is no net force or torque. I have a feeling that you can write the equations that show that...

1. What is an electric field vector?

An electric field vector is a mathematical representation of the direction and magnitude of the electric field at a given point in space. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both direction and magnitude.

2. How is the direction of an electric field vector determined?

The direction of an electric field vector is determined by the direction a positive test charge would move if placed at that point in the electric field. The direction is always away from positive charges and towards negative charges.

3. Does force always follow the direction of the electric field vector?

Yes, force always follows the direction of the electric field vector. This is because the electric field is the force per unit charge at a given point in space, so the force acting on a charge will always be in the direction of the electric field at that point.

4. How is the magnitude of an electric field vector calculated?

The magnitude of an electric field vector is calculated using the equation E = F/q, where E is the electric field, F is the force acting on the charge, and q is the magnitude of the charge. This equation is based on Coulomb's law, which states that the electric field is directly proportional to the force and inversely proportional to the charge.

5. Can the direction of an electric field vector change?

Yes, the direction of an electric field vector can change depending on the location and distribution of charges in the surrounding space. Electric field lines can also curve or change direction when passing through different materials with varying electric properties.