Clausius-Clapeyron equation help

DHvap/RTIn summary, the relationship between pressure and temperature for an ideal gas is linear, while the relationship between vapor pressure and temperature for a liquid is exponential. To make the relationship linear, we take the natural log of pressure and plot it against 1000/T. The slope of this graph is equal to -\frac{\Delta H_{vap}}{RT}, which can also be represented as -\frac{\Delta H_{vap}}{R}\frac{1}{T}.
courtrigrad
I know that the relationship between pressure and temperature for an ideal gas is linear. The relationship between vapor pressure and temperature for a liquid, however, is exponential. To make it linear we take the natural log and end up with: [tex] \ln P = -\frac{\Delta H_{vap}}{RT} + b [/tex]. How did we get [tex] -\frac{\Delta H_{vap}}{RT}[/tex] to be the slope? The y-axis is [tex] \ln P [/tex] and the x-axis is [tex] \frac{1000}{T} [/tex].

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
anybody have any ideas?

thanks

I'm not sure what your question really is but if you plot lnP vs 1000/T the slope will be

[tex] -\frac{\Delta H_{vap}}{1000 R} [/tex]

plugpoint said:
To make it linear we take the natural log and end up with: [tex] \ln P = -\frac{\Delta H_{vap}}{RT} + b [/tex]. How did we get [tex] -\frac{\Delta H_{vap}}{RT}[/tex] to be the slope? The y-axis is [tex] \ln P [/tex] and the x-axis is [tex] \frac{1000}{T} [/tex].
The slope will be whatever -Hvap/RT is divided by to get the x axis. If I have y=ab and I plot y vs b, the slope is a. If I plot y vs a, the slope is b. The only (theoretical) way you will get -Hvap/RT as the slope is if you plotted lnP vs 1, but this doesn't make any sense. So in conclusion, you will never get -Hvap/RT as your slope :smile:

Which variable are you trying to solve or prove something for?

The slope was actually [tex]\frac{\Delta H_{vap}}{R} [/tex]. I think it was meant to be written as: [tex] \ln P = -\frac{\Delta H_{vap}}{R}\frac{1}{T} + b [/tex]

Is this correct?

Thanks

yes, and assuming that we're referring to vapor pressure 1 as 1atm, b is

(DHvap/R)1/T(1atm)

Last edited:

1. What is the Clausius-Clapeyron equation?

The Clausius-Clapeyron equation is a thermodynamic equation that describes the relationship between the vapor pressure of a substance and its temperature. It is often used to calculate the boiling point of a substance under different pressures.

2. How is the Clausius-Clapeyron equation derived?

The Clausius-Clapeyron equation is derived from the combination of the ideal gas law and the thermodynamic definition of entropy. It can also be derived from the Gibbs free energy equation.

3. What are the assumptions made in the Clausius-Clapeyron equation?

The Clausius-Clapeyron equation assumes that the substance is in thermodynamic equilibrium and that the intermolecular forces between molecules are constant. It also assumes that the substance is an ideal gas or behaves like an ideal gas.

4. How is the Clausius-Clapeyron equation used in real-world applications?

The Clausius-Clapeyron equation is used in various fields such as meteorology, chemistry, and engineering. It is used to predict the behavior of substances under different temperatures and pressures, and to determine the vapor pressure of a substance at a certain temperature.

5. What are the limitations of the Clausius-Clapeyron equation?

The Clausius-Clapeyron equation is based on several assumptions and is only applicable to substances that behave like ideal gases. It also does not take into account factors such as changes in volume and intermolecular interactions, which can affect the accuracy of the calculated values.