Something I noticed about eye droppers

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Eye
In summary, the pressure at the bottom of the liquid is greater than near the surface and this results in the dropper taking in more liquid before releasing the bulb.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
I've noticed something a bit odd when I use an eye dropper in one of my labs. If I pull up water near the middle of the container, the water will fill up to a certain level. Now if I bring the eye-dropper down and touch the buttom (effectively putting it in a position to suck up the wall of the container) but allow it a small area to actaully suction up some liquid, it seems to be able to fill 50% more then if I allowed it to create a suction in say, the middle of the container. I don't understand... what's causing this?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds kinda weird. Are you sure that you're squeezing the bulb the same way in both cases?

Yah, I was able to replicate it multiple times... pretty weird...

Sure... :rolleyes: You just had to come up with this after Clausius split. He'd probably know it right off.

whose clausius :D some sort of greek god?

Some of us think so. :biggrin:

Oh and it seemed like it was the same crap that would happen when i worked with a pipet! I'd need to nearly apply the suction to the bottom to get any fluid to suction up.

It's just the pressure differential between the middle and the bottom of the container from which you're drawing the liquid. Remember that you're not 'sucking' water up, you're providing a partial vacuum, allowing atmospheric pressure to 'push' liquid into the pipette. At the bottom of the container, you have the additional head provided by the extra depth of water.

Think this is sound, hope I've not missed anything, I'm shattered.

Pengwuino said:
I've noticed something a bit odd when I use an eye dropper in one of my labs. If I pull up water near the middle of the container, the water will fill up to a certain level. Now if I bring the eye-dropper down and touch the buttom (effectively putting it in a position to suck up the wall of the container) but allow it a small area to actaully suction up some liquid, it seems to be able to fill 50% more then if I allowed it to create a suction in say, the middle of the container. I don't understand... what's causing this?
The pressure at the bottom of the liquid is greater than near the surface. Since you create a low pressure area in the eye dropper by squeezing the bulb fluid taken from the bottom where there is more pressure will result in it taking more liquid into the dropper.

You will probably notice that when you push the dropper to the bottom that some fluid gets into the dropper even before you release the bulb. This is because of the greater pressure at the bottom. As soon as the dropper breaks the surface the pressure builds up inside it and compresses the air in the dropper. This makes room for more water. You will probably also notice that as you bring the dropper out of the fluid that some water escapes as the air in the dropper expands and pushes it out.

Edit: I was beat to the punch by brewnog.

Last edited:
Wouldn't you just know it... I thought of that as a possible explanation (but wasn't sure there'd be enough differential), and the gf's stupid computer froze up before I could post it. :grumpy:
I'm at work now, so as long as my boss isn't using this one, I should be okay.

Yah i just realized this last night while i was trying to get to sleep, thanks anyways :P

Sleep? You were going to sleep? What the hell were you thinking of?

Last edited:
it was 7am >:( ROAR!

Alright, then... you're excused. Carry on.

What is the purpose of an eye dropper?

An eye dropper is a tool used to transfer small amounts of liquid from one container to another. It is commonly used in scientific experiments, medical procedures, and beauty routines.

How does an eye dropper work?

An eye dropper works by creating a vacuum inside the rubber bulb when squeezed. This vacuum allows the liquid to be drawn up into the dropper. When the bulb is released, the liquid is released through the dropper tip.

Why do eye droppers have a rubber bulb?

The rubber bulb on an eye dropper is used to create the vacuum that allows the liquid to be drawn up into the dropper. It also provides a comfortable and secure grip for the user.

What are the different types of eye droppers?

There are two main types of eye droppers: glass droppers and plastic droppers. Glass droppers are typically used for more precise measurements and are often found in laboratory settings. Plastic droppers are more commonly used for household purposes.

How do I properly clean and maintain an eye dropper?

To clean an eye dropper, rinse it with warm water and soap, then rinse thoroughly with water and let it air dry. To maintain an eye dropper, make sure to store it in a clean and dry place and replace it if the rubber bulb becomes damaged or cracked.