Is Wal Mart's Convenience Worth the Controversy?

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary: I'm not saying that Wal-Mart is perfect, heck, I'm not even saying that they're the best, but they do pay their employees a fair wage and they offer a lot of benefits.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I don't approve of many of Wal Mart's business practices, esp when it comes to issues like benefits, hours per week, rate of pay, etc, as they are driving the employment market to poverty as the norm, however, I sure do love the warehouse concept.

I ran out of paint one night at around 11PM, so I drove to Wal Mart, got the paint, went through the self-checkout, and was home in barely more than the time it took to drive there. It's so strange to walk in a store and buy something not only late at night, but to never even interact with a person! Very odd... but the convienence is hard to beat. Also, I had to buy a jigsaw today. Even though I would gladly pay more for quality products, the cheapest was only $13! I could hardly believe it. Not that long ago the cheapest saw like this would have been at least $25-$30. Amazing.

I had to buy the saw at Wal Mart because they have driven everyone else who would sell them in town, out of business.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ivan Seeking said:
I don't approve of many of Wal Mart's business practices, esp when it comes to issues like benefits, hours per week, rate of pay, etc, as they are driving the employment market to poverty as the norm, however, I sure do love the warehouse concept.

I ran out of paint one night at around 11PM, so I drove to Wal Mart, got the paint, went through the self-checkout, and was home in barely more than the time it took to drive there. It's so strange to walk in a store and buy something not only late at night, but to never even interact with a person! Very odd... but the convienence is hard to beat. Also, I had to buy a jigsaw today. Even though I would gladly pay more for quality products, the cheapest was only $13! I could hardly believe it. Not that long ago the cheapest saw like this would have been at least $25-$30. Amazing.
Hi, I'm Evo and I shop at Walmart. :redface:

When my coffee creamer costs $1.85 at the grocery store and .98 cents at Walmart, I'm shopping at Walmart. They have don't always have good produce, but for everything else, the savings is significant, usually around a dollar per item. I can buy a whole roasted chicken in their deli for $3.98, the same chicken at the grocery store deli is $5.98.

I love the self checkouts. I can go in there looking grungy and not have to interact with other humans. :approve:

Ivan said:
That's odd. I was pretty sure that they usually pay above minimum wage and employ most of their employees full time. Or maybe that's just the ones around here.
When I worked at Target way back when they only paid minimum and made sure that I never worked a full time schedule.

Hmmmm, we don’t have self check outs at any of the wal marts I know about. One thing we do have is about 50 separate cashier stations, with only maybe 5 operating at a time, each with long lines.

I remember they used to have those lawyer commercials on the air talking about wal-mart/Sams locking employees in the store over night.

I like Wal-mart, they let me buy spray paint, when most other stores wont. Even though the stupid cashiers can't do the math (“so if you were born in 1987, how old are you? 18, ok”).

Ivan Seeking said:
Reminds me of a quote:
"I don't like seeing an entire race being enslaved, however, they sure can pick cotton." ~Jim Crowe

before everyone starts yelling at me, I'm not racist. Don't you see the comparison? comedy by exaggeration.

Did the crickets worry you Trib?

Wal-Mart has bad company policy but an overall nice store. Kmart on the other hand. That place decided to hire every non-English and English speaking retard they could find. I think that place is a convention center for the stupid. That place is so craptastic that they don't bother to properly shelve merchandise. Everything is all over the place, nothing is sorted out properly. It was like a zoo. The cashiers would take 20 mins to ring up 3 freaking people. Just pathetic.

Target is nice. Sears is the best for tools though. Never buy cheap tools. Always get an expensive tool that will last forever.

Don't be an enabler. There are stores here where prices are very cheap, that's because the producers where the products are coming from are practically stolen of their products. I'd rather pay a little more for fair trade. If you don't like the morals/standards, don't participate :smile:

TheStatutoryApe said:
Did the crickets worry you Trib?
it was funny though?

tribdog said:
it was funny though?
Yeah, it reminded me of Boondocks.

We still have K-Mart on Guam. Its actually the largest K-Mart in the world too. Its pretty big.

We still have K-Mart on Guam. Its actually the largest K-Mart in the world too. Its pretty big.

Im so sorry to hear that.

good place for it though

i've always heard people say great things about working at walmart, i applied there...

at any rate, you hear about those two walmart movies that came out? one's pro walmart, the other is anti... apparently they're both available at walmart.

My experience with WalMart tools is that if you need the tool for just a small project and probably will never need it again, it works out cheaper than renting, but if you actually think it's something you'll use often and want it to last, it won't; you're better off buying something of better quality elsewhere. When I was in Michigan and Ohio, they had stores called Meijer's that actually had more than WalMart, but of about the same quality, and they were open 24 hours...I loved that store when something would break late at night and I needed to buy something to repair it in a hurry. I couldn't always find everything I needed to complete the job, but could always find enough to patch it until the other hardware stores opened in the morning.

I haven't seen a WalMart with groceries. We had a Super KMart when I lived in MI, but I never liked buying any groceries at that one...everything was wrapped up in plastic on foam trays, so you couldn't tell if there was a bad spot on the hidden side of your produce (and usually there was)...but that store was great; nothing like the KMarts I've seen in some other states.

Everywhere I've lived, WalMarts are dumps. I've had to resort to WalMart shopping on a few occassions since moving here...it's a small town, so there isn't a lot of choices of places to shop, and sometimes WalMart is the only place I know will have something I need. I end up so irritated in that store...the idiots working there always have half the aisles clogged up with carts of merchandise they haven't gotten around to stocking yet, the aisles aren't quite wide enough for two shopping carts to pass, especially when there's always something lying in the middle of the floor, you can barely even walk between the racks in the clothing department, and the store is FILLED with the world's slowest moving people who block the few aisles that aren't already blocked with merchandise. :grumpy:

Yes!, Moonbears hatred for Wal-Mart is my hatred for Kmart! Screw those stores. I like a mom and pop hardware store any day. They know about what they are selling. You don’t get some stupid 16 year old who can't spell his own name point in a general direction and say "I think it’s over there uh,...duhhhhh" Mom and pop stores are always better. More expensive, but you get what you pay for. Speaking of produce, this is what I really don't understand about the US. Why is it you can walk into a supermarket and NOT SMELL a damn thing! That place should be exploding with smell of fruit, meat and vegetables. You only get that when you go to a real, small mom and pop country grocery.

Last edited:
That's odd. I was pretty sure that they usually pay above minimum wage and employ most of their employees full time. Or maybe that's just the ones around here.
When I worked at Target way back when they only paid minimum and made sure that I never worked a full time schedule.

Really? I have the opposite impression. When I worked as a cashier at Target (from May 2003 - August 2004), I started off at around $7 / hr. By the time that I ended, I was making almost $9 / hr. Not too bad for a 17 / 18 year old. Most people worked there worked full time (the only major exception being the cashiers, many of whom were in high school or college), and even though I only worked part-time, I still got some benefits (dental, a week of paid vacation per year, and some meager health).

Manchot said:
Really? I have the opposite impression. When I worked as a cashier at Target (from May 2003 - August 2004), I started off at around $7 / hr. By the time that I ended, I was making almost $9 / hr. Not too bad for a 17 / 18 year old. Most people worked there worked full time (the only major exception being the cashiers, many of whom were in high school or college), and even though I only worked part-time, I still got some benefits (dental, a week of paid vacation per year, and some meager health).
Perhaps they have gotten better then.

Ivan Seeking said:

are you talking about sam's club which is the warehouse brother of walmart? or walmart itself?

if youre shopping at a warehouse youre better off choosing costco. they have good selection, a lenient return policy, take good care of their employees - pays them well, great benefits, etc.. and the ceo is not some greedy money grubbing corporate entity, and is a democrat :biggrin:

Last edited:
Walmart disturbs me. I feel unclean everytime i enter one. Seriously, I feel sullied. I hate even being in the parking lot. Then add the way they depress market wages and drive other businesses out of business, and yeah I really don't like them.

Manchot said:

I'm not sure if this is the case with chain retailers, but many national chains are franchise setups, individual stores are run by seperate, smaller corporations, that pay royalties to the mother corporation, and have to abide by certain overall regulations. But otherwise they have a fair amount of leeway in how they handle lots of things. For example, my uncle owns several Domino's stores in the LA area. They have certain regulations they have to abide by and certain ones they can ignore. Things like labor policies are entirely up to them. Various franchisees will often have drastically different policies. Short version: You can rarely make universal statements about how business chains are run from area to area.

The_Professional said:
if youre shopping at a warehouse youre better off choosing costco. they have good selection, a lenient return policy, take good care of their employees - pays them well, great benefits, etc.. and the ceo is not some greedy money grubbing corporate entity, and is a democrat

Now, I despise Walmart, and much prefer costco as well, but all my respect for you flew out the window when you finished that last sentence. As if the CEO being a democrat has anything to do with it.

I never hate a it

franznietzsche said:
Now, I despise Walmart, and much prefer costco as well, but all my respect for you flew out the window when you finished that last sentence.

oh no, no respect. must resist...urge to..say..democrat..arghhh!

Last edited:
Walmart took over a supermarket near me. They let them keep the name, logo etc, but they are part of the Walmart group. The only difference I noticed is that the nice cafe with good healthy food was replaced overnight with a McDonalds, despite there being one just the other side of the car park. :grumpy:

matthyaouw said:
The only difference I noticed is that the nice cafe with good healthy food was replaced overnight with a McDonalds, despite there being one just the other side of the car park. :grumpy:

Wow! That's just awful. :grumpy:

I'm not sure if this is the case with chain retailers, but many national chains are franchise setups, individual stores are run by seperate, smaller corporations, that pay royalties to the mother corporation, and have to abide by certain overall regulations. But otherwise they have a fair amount of leeway in how they handle lots of things. For example, my uncle owns several Domino's stores in the LA area. They have certain regulations they have to abide by and certain ones they can ignore. Things like labor policies are entirely up to them. Various franchisees will often have drastically different policies. Short version: You can rarely make universal statements about how business chains are run from area to area.

Target is not a franchise. All of them are owned by the Target Corporation.

Granted, I certainly wouldn't mind owning a Target store. I know for a fact that the store I worked at (which was an urban store, another thing that Wal-Mart doesn't do), profits were in the several million dollars per year range (more than 10, from what I was told) . Because of the sheer volume of stuff always moving through, its gross yearly revenues were in the hundreds of millions of dollars range.

franznietzsche said:
Walmart disturbs me. I feel unclean everytime i enter one. Seriously, I feel sullied. I hate even being in the parking lot.
Yes, even the parking lots are awful! Usually filled with cracks and potholes (I guess it would be expecting too much for them to use a little of their profits to repave the parking lot). Oh, and of course all those slow people in the store are equally slow walking through the parking lot...first they have to drive in circles for an hour, because it would probably kill them to walk any further than the first row or two (I just park near the back of the lot and am in the store before some of those people have even found a parking space yet), and then when they do start walking into the store, they're strolling along, oblivious to the cars...I don't mind stopping to let someone cross in front of me, it's the law even, but then they should make some effort to cross quickly and get out of the way. How do they get all the slow people all in one store? Everywhere else I go, people seem capable of walking at a reasonable pace, so where do all those slow people even come from?

matthyaouw said:
Walmart took over a supermarket near me. They let them keep the name, logo etc, but they are part of the Walmart group. The only difference I noticed is that the nice cafe with good healthy food was replaced overnight with a McDonalds, despite there being one just the other side of the car park. :grumpy:
I think our WalMart has a Little Caesar's. Some sort of fast food thing in it. I've seen them with McDonald's too. The Target here has a Starbucks. I miss having grocery stores with coffee shops in them. Several of the grocery stores where I lived in MI and OH had coffee shops...Starbucks or Coffee Beanery, or one of those types of chains...I thought that was the best idea ever, especially when they put it very close to the entrance (some stores put it nearer to the back, probably just where they had space, but it's not very effective there)...the shopping carts had cup holders on them, so you stop on the way in, get your cup of coffee, and then have the energy to survive shopping. A really great idea, because I know if I was stopping on my way home from a long day at work, or early on a Saturday morning, if I had a cup of coffee to sip while shopping, I wasn't in as much of a rush to get out of the store.

The only other time I felt "relaxed" while grocery shopping was when I was in a store in the evening when they were working on some sort of electrical problem, so were turning off half the lights at a time. I preferred the dimmer lighting since it was already evening, and wished they turned off one bank of lights all the time. When the full lights came back on, I realized just how overly-bright and harsh the lighting normally is.

The_Professional said:
oh no, no respect. must resist...urge to..say..democrat..arghhh!
My point was that judging someone's worth based on their registered voting affiliation is shallow and vapid. Apparently such an assessment of you is correct.

The thing about me is I don't care if they are bad to their employees I'll still shop there. I don't care if they don't pay anything because I don't work there.

Let’s have a PF gathering at a local wal-mart/kmart and have a good ole firebombing. Moonbear, bring the bottles, ill bring the vodka to fill them, trib bring the rags, and franz bring the lighter. We'll have a Molotov of a time. Burn baby burn! :cool:

Better yet, let's get mini bikes and circle the idiots in the parking lot trying go walk into the store. Hitting them with paddles.

I say we get all the crap thrown about the store and pile it up into a heap and burn it.

Who wants to be lookout for the cops?

Last edited:
We don't have self checkouts at wal mart :(

I still remember when some lady asked me, if it costs $10 dollars for 10, how much is it for one...

There is a new Walmart about 5 miles from my house. The neighborhood fought it for two years claiming it would destroy the area. Walmart won, it's small and modern and lushly landscaped and sells sushi. :bugeye: At least they did during Christmas.

In the town near us, WalMart came in and basically created an artificial work force by employing min wage workers who were mostly on unemployment, and who had to take any job available. Next, they displaced the competing businesses in town, such as both hardware stores, which then had to close, which puts the job market back to where it was, but now, instead of a skilled work force, we have min wage workers whose product knowledge ends with the aisle on which the product is found.

I guess that part of what's happening here are two things. Aside from the issue of product quality, about which most consumers are too ignorant to know the difference [which is a function of advertising costs, hence product cost], the value added, say when you can talk with someone who is knowlegible about plumbing when the toilet fails, is not given value unless it's needed. So, the ninety percent of the time that I only need paint or some screws, Walmart is fine and as a consumer I tend to go there. But the ten percent of the time that I would like some assistance [or quality tools], is not enough to sustain the old stores and their more expensive store concept, so even though no one wants to see them go, the hardware, clothing, automotive, paint, appliance stores etc, all eventually close due to a lack of business.

The sad part is that people might make different choices if they knew more about the products they purchase, but for most folks this lesson is only learned about the third time that they are standing in the return line at Wal Mart while holding a defective product. Also, over time, and once they had run the competition out of business, Wal Mart started bringing on better products that come with higher prices.

For me, as a consumer I avoided Wal Mart until the other stores were gone. Now I have little choice where to shop unless I want to drive thirty miles for sandpaper and screws. So in my estimation [based on what I've seen here], part of Wal Mart's success depends on ignorance and poverty, and not just a savvy marketing concept or cheap imports.

btw, I think in the end Wal Mart could be good as it gives workers the chance unite, say, as union workers; strength in numbers.

Edit: Although as part of the dumbing down of America, I keep waiting to see "Wal Mart Greeter 101" offered at the local JC.

Last edited: